Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Museum opening times are Tues - Sat 10am to 5pm. A Doctor Who exhibition will be on at the same time as Forgotten Blues. Any chance we could convince Dr Phew to be there on the 5th? (Oh be still my quaking heart).

I will check out restaurants from the suggestions made once I've had a cold shower - very, very hot here today :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Back again :D

According to the website that Rohan provided (Thanks Rohan). neither Ask nor Café Rouge accept groups.

I've tried to check out a few pubs, but the only one I have any decent info for is The Cowpers Arms at Letty Green. I have no idea where Letty Green is, although the address is L Green, Hertford. My connection is so slow that I couldn't face waiting for a map to download, but will chase this up. They serve food until 10pm at an average cost of 18 pounds (must investigate the ASCII code for pound) for three courses.

xx

PS for Katharine:
for Jeremy, please read Julian :oops:
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Lettice Green (known to regulars as Letty) is the landlady of the Cowpers Arms. She runs a tight ship, but unfortunately she's cross-eyed, so those in the know tend to go the barmaid, Cabby (Cabbage White), if they want a full measure.

They do a good salad...
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I have booked a family room for the two nights, 4th-6th April.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Liz Jay wrote:Hi Girls

Where would be the nearest T'lodge, is there something just off the A1 north side of Hertford?
Liz

I've tried to reply (in detail) to your PM; whether it will get through is another matter.

I still cannot originate but I didn't get the warnings this time even though it rejected you as addressee.
David
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Hi David

Can't speak for anyone else, but I am becoming increasingly intrigued by your cryptic messages :wink:

If you are willing to trust the information to me, I am happy to forward it to Liz's home email.

My address is caroline.payne@adelaide.edu.au

I assume that your crypticity (?) is due to fear of retaliation by T'lodge management? I promise to preserve both the information and your identity.

Best wishes

Caroline
Valerie.Stewart
2nd Former

Post by Valerie.Stewart »

Hello All,

I am hoping to join you for the weekend. We are, however, moving from Leighton Buzzard to Yeovil in Somerset on the 15th January which makes it further to come. I am starting a new job on January 21st.
I may therefore be interested in sharing a room if there is space. After all, up to 18 of us shared a dorm at Hertford.
It will be great to see you all again.

:)

Valerie
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Hello folks
I've been looking at the Travelodge website tonight and I THINK that the Baldock per night fee has gone from £19 to £29 per family room sleeping 3 adults (still a saving on £51). Maybe they have spotted some interest?
The charge at the Hatfield Travlodge is also £29 per night per family room. It is a lot nearer Hertford, but is from the south not the north. It is 23 minutes drive (if you believe the AA) from the Baldock Travelodge. Maybe those attending can find somewhere midway (10-15 minutes both from Hatfield and from Baldock) for an evening get together?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Hi Everyone

Valerie - it will be wonderful to see you. Yeovil schmovil - I'm coming from Adelaide :lol: :lol: :lol:

I envisaged that we will be staying at a variety of hotels, possibly scattered across the shire, and therefore propose dinner in Hertford. Cafe Rouge will accept group bookings, and their menu and prices seem far more attractive than The Salisbury Arms or Baroosh (my choices are limited by internet accessability).

I will begin a new (third) thread as arrangements are defined so that those who don't wish to wade through the planning and chat, and suggest that we limit posts to that particular thread to the minimum - retaining this one for suggestions and questions.

More later.

xx
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Third family room now booked at the Baldock T'lodge, and, indeed, the 19 pound Saturday night has increased to the princely sum of 29 pounds, so all budget conscious attendees are advised to get in early :D .

xx
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Very very disappointed to see that the latest CHA Newsletter seems to totally ignore your proposed gathering and neit6her is there a reference to it on the CHA calendar page that I can find.

Evidently someone here is in bad odour there, as if we didn't know.!

OTOH received not one but 2 emails from Friends Reunited; not quite my style, dearie(s), but at least the message is being promulgated, propagated and every other prop .................
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

The reason that there was no mention of the gathering in the CHA News was because I only emailed Wendy yesterday morning to ask if she would consider including a mention in the next Newsletter.

Sorry about the doubled message from FR - I had hoped that it was only I that had received it twice.

xx
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have had three, two from Caroline and one from Kerren as she promised.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Hello all -

Provided I am not sent afield at the last moment, I can do the 5th April, and can drive over from Saffend....however, will confirm nearer the day that I will effectively be there, and can pick people up.

Will be my first OG reunion since 1984, when I went to the last Hertford OG Day.

hasta luego
B
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I thought I was on FR but perhaps not - I haven't had any such messages, but then I do know about it.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965