Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Post by michael scuffil »

Angela Pratt 56-63 wrote: We were rather unusual in that we had 4 brothers, Ian, Graham, Robin and Martin, at Horsham between 1953 and 1969.(Maine A and then Coleridge B - or was it A?). After 26 years of visiting my parents were well known at both schools, but wouldn't it have been easier on one site!

Angela (Pratt) 56-63

I will tell you a story about Angela's brother Ian (he won't know about it!). He was at Cambridge at the same time as I was. I had a friend called William, who, having got to know a number of OBs through me, claimed to be able to spot an Old Blue in a crowd. Now I didn't know Ian Pratt very well, and William had never have met him. One day William and I walked into the Eagle and I said, "William, there's an Old Blue in here." (i.e. Ian P.). "Yes," he said, "that one," pointing at Ian.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

michael scuffil wrote: I will tell you a story about Angela's brother Ian (he won't know about it!). He was at Cambridge at the same time as I was. I had a friend called William, who, having got to know a number of OBs through me, claimed to be able to spot an Old Blue in a crowd. Now I didn't know Ian Pratt very well, and William had never have met him. One day William and I walked into the Eagle and I said, "William, there's an Old Blue in here." (i.e. Ian P.). "Yes," he said, "that one," pointing at Ian.
I have heard this sort of story before, it's supposed to be the walk! Did you have two layers of soles put on your shoes to make them last longer? Was it the years of walking in a Housey coat? However I don't think this would apply in your case unless Ian was walking to the bar.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Sorry posted twice and no delete button only edit!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The delete button comes up if you edit
Last edited by englishangel on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:The delete button comes up if you edit
It didn't this time Mary - I looked for it, I have seen it (and have used it) before!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

For those who have not yet noticed, Caroline has now started the Bulletin thread relating to this Reunion. It's still under 'Hertford Memories' and is entitled : '(No longer proposed) Gathering, Hertford 5/4/08'.
So if you have already said that you are coming to Hertford on 5th April (or are planning on doing so...), watch that thread too!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
gillieg
2nd Former

Post by gillieg »

Its been a long time since I last visited the site and I'm excited to hear ahout the proposed gathering. I hope you have a great time. Has anyone received info regarding the reunion 30 year on at Horsham in May? Is anyone out there going?

Hope it all goes well in Hertford. Gillieg xxx
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Only those who are 30 years on will have received the invitation.....
Don't know how well it has been received.
But there must be another reunion in Horsham? My best mate who left shortly after I did (1967) has also been invited to some big 'do' at Horsham this year, and has been sent a list of people they know about, and those they don't....
Ditto on that one I don't know about how well the invitation has been received.....
Behind it there will be an unspoken (at the moment, probably) bid for donations. So if you attend, leave the cheque book and the debit card at home, unless you are prepared to give CH some dosh.
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The 40 years on is for 67 and 68, there is also a 10 years on for 97 and 98. Unfortunately on the CHA website it asks if you left Housey, and I know it refers to the "Royal and Ancient House" and both male and female OBs are invited but we never called ourselves Housey at Hertford. We only called the boys school Housey.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Par for the course, Mary - sad to say.
Kerren Simmonds
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I thought they called us Housey though - so either way, doesn't it mean all of us? (I mean directly, other than by implication)
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I don't think the word 'Housey' ever applied to Hertford (nor London, for that matter - though that was before our time!). I somehow always associated the word with the actual site at Horsham (though that may have been my own ignorance). One thing I am pretty sure of, however, is that in our time we never shouted the word 'HOUSEY!' after the Loyal Toast on formal occasions at Hertford. I remember the first time I was caught out by it, later on in life at a Speech Day lunch at Horsham - how surprisingly awkward I felt. The next time I was in the same situation, I joined in but with embarrassment rather than gusto. Nowadays I shout it out as loudly as the next person!
Kerren Simmonds
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I don't think the word 'Housey' ever applied to Hertford (nor London, for that matter - though that was before our time!). I somehow always associated the word with the actual site at Horsham (though that may have been my own ignorance). One thing I am pretty sure of, however, is that in our time we never shouted the word 'HOUSEY!' after the Loyal Toast on formal occasions at Hertford. I remember the first time I was caught out by it, later on in life at a Speech Day lunch at Horsham - how surprisingly awkward I felt. The next time I was in the same situation, I joined in but with embarrassment rather than gusto. Nowadays I shout it out as loudly as the next person!
Taken from the pamphlet "A Book of Housey Slang" 1994 ed

HOUSEY n & adj Christ's Hospital. The correct spelling of the noun is said to be Housie. Though the most universally known word in this list, its origin and derivation remain obscure.

This is a book of London and Horsham slang (1820 - 1940), but I have always assumed it was in use in London.
Maybe the ladies should come up with one for Hertford.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Is it you, John (or the Housey Slang book....) suggesting that the ladies come up with something for Hertford? Either way, a bit late now,...!
Its the Grand Opening of 'Forgotten Blues' at the Hertford Museum tonight - a party from the Museum at CH Horsham is attending. I can't wait to find out how the evening has gone ... and although I was invited to the Grand Opening, I could not go because of work today and work tomorrow (both in Chichester). I am nonetheless curiously jealous of those who have been able to go tonight. Aren't I a sad soul?!
But I can't wait now to 5 April to see it all for myself!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Is it you, John (or the Housey Slang book....) suggesting that the ladies come up with something for Hertford? Either way, a bit late now,...!
Kerren
I would imagine that the compiler, Gerald Atkinson (Pe B 17 - 24) is now otherwise engaged so it was my suggestion. Atkinson first published in 1948.
Judging from the number of active Hertford folk on this Forum, I am sure there must have been a lot of slang words unique to Hertford, which we could then incorporate in an updated book.
No doubt there are also slang words now in use in Horsham which are both new and unique to CH. No idea what they are but no doubt they exist.

How about it?

Another thread maybe?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)