Has anyone seen the Rock School ad on C4?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

peterh
2nd Former

Post by peterh »

The programme is being shown in Canada on the Much Music channel at 8-30 Atlantic Time. Most enjoyable.
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

To be fair to Mr Simmons, when interviewed on T4 on Saturday he corrected the presenters assertion that CH was a school for toffs.

He actually did a very good job of explaining the core ethos of the school.
Thornton 85-92
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

BTaylor wrote:To be fair to Mr Simmons, when interviewed on T4 on Saturday he corrected the presenters assertion that CH was a school for toffs.

He actually did a very good job of explaining the core ethos of the school.
As did one of the boys on Richard and Judy, and incidentally going back to Mr Spoonbill, he also had an accent when he got excited, don't know if it was Battersea or not.

Josh was asked what music he listened to and he said "the music from the 'Lord of the Rings' films.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Well it was certainly interesting...

I knew Josh Bell and another kid from Scout camps and my fiancee Angie knew one of the gilrs - Camilla or Fiona I think, from teaching them trampolining...

The school came across well, although it was obvious that they found 10 children with no interest in rock at all, which will inevitably make the viewing public think that CH is full of classical musicians... which it isn't...

(From walking around the school, it seems most kids like hip hop - yuck yuck...)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jdshippen
2nd Former

Rock School

Post by jdshippen »

I agree with Plum. Josh is a natural performer. I have photo of him performing in Elvish (or Elven) at a campfire entertainment at Welford. He is completely absorbed in his character. I also have a phot somewhere of his solo performance in 'All the King's Men' - a children's opera which we performed outside the Theatre in 2003 with a cast of 250 Juniors and a junior/intermediate orchestra of 70. Even then Josh stood out as a potential star. When I discover how to attach photos I will post them.
I am glad his parents are happy with his ability to cope. I think Great Plum is right - he is not a reject - he simply does his own thing and loses himself in his latest character. It is quite scary listening to him talking to himself as Gollum!
jdshippen
2nd Former

Post by jdshippen »

I discover that I can't post photos directly. The picture of Josh reciting Elvish is however on my gallery site: http://gallery.shippen.org.uk under the Album title Summer Camps 1999-2005 and on page 2 of that.

[Comment added by JTaylor:- If you have the direct browser path to the photo, you can post directly on here. See reply below. The text you put in to do this is:-

[img]http://gallery.shippen.org.uk/albums/sc ... .sized.jpg[/img]
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

rock school

Post by englishangel »

erm....should you be posting pictures of children on the Internet?

Just a thought.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: rock school

Post by jtaylor »

englishangel wrote:erm....should you be posting pictures of children on the Internet?

Just a thought.
The only issue I'd be aware of is one of permission from the subject of the photo - as JDS has already posted them on his open gallery site, I'm assuming he has their permission or understands the implications?
Don't know the law personally....anyone care to enlighten us?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Lol. Pictures of Josh are already spread widely across the internet and the media - I don't suppose one more picture will make any difference!

Presumably the TV companies who have pictures of him published in at least 75 different countries, know exactly what they are doing and will not wish to fall foul of the law. I think the issue here may be one of permission granted by his parents (as a parent I am increasingly being asked to give a blanket consent to schools and other youth organisations to use my children's photos for "publicity or other purposes").

It may be that as a matter of courtesy it would be good to get permission. If you want to do this, it should be possible to obtain this as his mother is active on a forum in the USA and could be contacted that way. Equally, to my certain knowledge, Josh knows about this thread on this site and has emailed details of it to his parents (tho' being at Housey he cannot access it until half term in ten days time). It may well be therefore that his parents will see what you have done and wish to comment on it here. I hope so - it would be good to hear from them. We may even get a comment from Josh himself - you never know!

Seriously though, I am concerned about the ramifications of the nanny state. Children need protection but there are those who take all this to absurd limits. My own children went to the village primary school here - a tiny school with only 40 children. Two years ago, during Oliver's last sports day there, I was astonished to hear over the loudhailer an announcement that as we were all aware, it was not possible to take photographs (for reasons of child protection). I am glad to say that nobody took any notice, but the children at the school did not feature in the press coverage afforded to other local primaries.

Fortunately, the 11-16 comprehensive they attended in Truro is much more enlightened and, thank goodness, when the children achieve something noteworthy their picture appears in the local press and, occasionally, on the internet. Oliver is a keen and able cross country runner and is encouraged no end when his picture is published. I know I have signed a consent form somewhere along the line and I am pretty sure I have done the same for Jonathan at Christ's Hospital - should anyone ever wish to use his pic! However, my children are robust - there may be others out there who are more vulnerable, but I am sure that Josh is not one of them
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

It's a highly complicated law, Julian ! (Aren't they all ?)

In light of today's political correctness, it might be an idea to bone up on the legislation.

This MUST be an old photo of the lad concerned. I saw him on 'Richard & Judy' several days ago, and he's certainly aged since this was taken.

On a side line, I find it somewhat strange that camera's and video's are BANNED in all our local swimming pools. I can understand the reason behind it, but surely, this is an example of the Nanny State going absolutely mad.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

You beat me to it by about 30 seconds, Dave !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

rock school

Post by englishangel »

(tho' being at Housey he cannot access it until half term in ten days time).

Is that right?

Can they access the Internet at all or is it just seditious material like this?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I think that was taken on Josh's squits... (he's now on the UF)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

As this is an over 16 only forum he shouldn't be on here at all! Technically...
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02