So, the underground tunnels...

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Tunnels and Chemicals

Post by sejintenej »

Financial wizard, not genius. I wave my magic wand and another country defaults and we all write of 2 grillion dollars and then go and do it all again. Plus ca change, just like the rain on Sunday afternoons at CH. Talking of which, it's raining here in NY, unfortunately didn't do that last Thursday during the St. Patrick's Day parade.

Sorry, bad day at the office - I'll go and find a furry animal to kick. Aaaargh!
Ta, muchly, Simon. I spent plenty of memorable time in Nigeria trying to sort out their default and in Brazil trying to sort out Nigeria's default and in London trying to sort out Brazil's default.

Now if I had known it was you I'd have asked to be excused Lagos duty; that was even worse than CH.

Memorable; I'll never forget it unfortunately
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
Financial wizard, not genius. I wave my magic wand and another country defaults and we all write of 2 grillion dollars and then go and do it all again. Plus ca change, just like the rain on Sunday afternoons at CH. Talking of which, it's raining here in NY, unfortunately didn't do that last Thursday during the St. Patrick's Day parade.

Sorry, bad day at the office - I'll go and find a furry animal to kick. Aaaargh!
Ta, muchly, Simon. I spent plenty of memorable time in Nigeria trying to sort out their default and in Brazil trying to sort out Nigeria's default and in London trying to sort out Brazil's default.

Now if I had known it was you I'd have asked to be excused Lagos duty; that was even worse than CH.

So, there's plenty of 'Nuts' in Brazil, then ?? :oops:
Simon Kerruish
2nd Former

Post by Simon Kerruish »

J.R. wrote:
sejintenej wrote:

The bad boys currently are Argentina, who have stiffed everyone in sight, including the widows and orphans who put their life savings into the country, get this, actually trusting the Argentine government to repay its obligations. What a quaint notion. You know the definition of an Argentine? He's an Italian who wishes he was an Englishman. I was there again 2 weeks ago and was 'reminded' that the Malvinas are quite clearly Argentinian. I told them they should have said Please.

Argentine beef and wine are absolutely fantastic, and dead cheap since the peso collapsed.

I think I may have wandered from the point, whatever it was...
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Simon Kerruish wrote:
J.R. wrote:
sejintenej wrote: Ta, muchly, Simon. I spent plenty of memorable time in Nigeria trying to sort out their default and in Brazil trying to sort out Nigeria's default and in London trying to sort out Brazil's default.

I was going to comment on the population of Brazil, the approximate male/female proportions and allow you to do the calculation. No, the nuts you eat often come from Peru.
The bad boys currently are Argentina, who have stiffed everyone in sight, including the widows and orphans who put their life savings into the country, get this, actually trusting the Argentine government to repay its obligations. What a quaint notion. You know the definition of an Argentine? He's an Italian who wishes he was an Englishman. I was there again 2 weeks ago and was 'reminded' that the Malvinas are quite clearly Argentinian. I told them they should have said Please.
What Argentinian uses Sirvase or even por favor? Beyond their education.
I think I may have wandered from the point, whatever it was
Definitely so, at which point I will depart for climes warmer, with wine coming off the neighbour's vines, (I grow fruit and walnuts but not in Brazil) a swimming pool under the (near) tropical sky, with 3 star food at greasy spoon prices,. no TB (neither the disease or the dis-ease) .......

Ta-ta and, as the saying goes, thanks for all the fish. CU in the autumn
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Simon Kerruish
2nd Former

Post by Simon Kerruish »

Simon Kerruish wrote:
J.R. wrote:
sejintenej wrote: Ta, muchly, Simon. I spent plenty of memorable time in Nigeria trying to sort out their default and in Brazil trying to sort out Nigeria's default and in London trying to sort out Brazil's default.

I was going to comment on the population of Brazil, the approximate male/female proportions and allow you to do the calculation. No, the nuts you eat often come from Peru.
What Argentinian uses Sirvase or even por favor? Beyond their education.
I think I may have wandered from the point, whatever it was
Definitely so, at which point I will depart for climes warmer, with wine coming off the neighbour's vines, (I grow fruit and walnuts but not in Brazil) a swimming pool under the (near) tropical sky, with 3 star food at greasy spoon prices,. no TB (neither the disease or the dis-ease) .......

Ta-ta and, as the saying goes, thanks for all the fish. CU in the autumn
Well, buen provecho, y hasta la proxima.
mattyjadams
2nd Former

Post by mattyjadams »

. I think there were about 9 keys that you needed to have full access to every where in the school, what with the refits and the different ages of the buildings.
I think I had around 14 or so in my final year - although it was starting to go all electronic then.
Lab 95-98
MidB 98-01
GrW 01-02 Second Monitor
Keithbyatt
2nd Former

The Tube

Post by Keithbyatt »

The tube in my day was also a scarey place, if you were on your own. THere were rumours of Ghosts, especially since pupils had committed suicide down there in the past. The main tube was indeed used as a dry method of getting from your house to the dining hall with out getting wet. We used to march in to every meal in ranks of 4. However, since the tube was not wide enough to accomodate 4 abreast, then we walked through in two's. I remember some scuffles with any other house you came accross in the journey.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

menace wrote:I well remember Cherniavsky - I had him for history for a while. He was promoted to Housemaster of BaB - shock of curly hair and somewhat distracted manner. I believe he is now deceased. Nice guy. Man you go back....
Chern was my Housemaster in Barnes B for the first year but was replaced by Chris Miller after that. I am not sure but the rumour was that he was/asked for a replacement as he lost a bit of control when there was reputed to be a bit of older boys in junior boys beds. All hearsay, despite the fact that I was there, but who knows.
With respect to the Tube, as well as it being used during bad weather to get to and from Dining Hall, I remember 2 incidents. Access was via the stairs between the 2 houses, before the buildings at the back were built.
There was a side Tube that came up under the gratings in Chapel, and we were all amused to see this grating being moved during one Sunday evening chapel. No head popped out but there were only a few catholics who were excused Sunday Chapel if they had gone to Mass in Horsham, so we assumed one of them was exploring.
The other incident was that the Prep failed to arrive for breakfast one day. The story went that the Housemaster leading them saw a body hanging from the tubes and turned his charges back, where they had to do without breakfast. We later found out that a member of the ground staff had comitted suicide so I assume he was hanging around in the Tube.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Simon Kerruish wrote:
J.R. wrote:

Argentine beef and wine are absolutely fantastic, and dead cheap since the peso collapsed.

I think I may have wandered from the point, whatever it was...
A little away from the point on the Tube, but having lived in Buenos Aires from 1992 - 2001, 2 weeks is too short to really appreciate the place.
A Financial Wizard is anyone who can live through hyperinflation, as did Argentina in 1989. They used to queue up to renew their one day fixed deposits, and the bank with the best coffee got the business.
Any country will take the money if the lender hasn't done his sums right, and Argentina has being going bankrupt since the end of the 19th century when they nearly brought down Barings.
Most Argentines are not to worried about the Malvinas and many think it was a fight between Maggie and their alcoholic president. Most of the Army did not want to go to war but were forced into it (I got that from a US Colonel who studied at the War School in BA who got it from his Argentine lecturer)
BA is a 24 hour city, still safer than most, has some great restaurants and night life, and is pretty laid back. Added to the fact that the mixture of Italian/Spanish/English women is very easy on the eye, and there are many worse places in the world.
Sorry about this but I enjoyed my time there and I worked for a UK Bank.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:
menace wrote:I well remember Cherniavsky - I had him for history for a while. He was promoted to Housemaster of BaB - shock of curly hair and somewhat distracted manner. I believe he is now deceased. Nice guy. Man you go back....
Chern was my Housemaster in Barnes B for the first year but was replaced by Chris Miller after that. I am not sure but the rumour was that he was/asked for a replacement as he lost a bit of control when there was reputed to be a bit of older boys in junior boys beds. All hearsay, despite the fact that I was there, but who knows.
With respect to the Tube, as well as it being used during bad weather to get to and from Dining Hall, I remember 2 incidents. Access was via the stairs between the 2 houses, before the buildings at the back were built.
There was a side Tube that came up under the gratings in Chapel, and we were all amused to see this grating being moved during one Sunday evening chapel. No head popped out but there were only a few catholics who were excused Sunday Chapel if they had gone to Mass in Horsham, so we assumed one of them was exploring.
The other incident was that the Prep failed to arrive for breakfast one day. The story went that the Housemaster leading them saw a body hanging from the tubes and turned his charges back, where they had to do without breakfast. We later found out that a member of the ground staff had comitted suicide so I assume he was hanging around in the Tube.
John H !

Can you put a year to the suicide, ('alleged') in the Tube ?

I know that when I was in Prep B, (last year - possibly '59 or '60), there was definitely a suicide in the tunnel, as you describe when one of the bockers decided enough was enough. Seem to remember the bocker in question was a rather tall gaunt gentleman !

It would have been about two years before that terrible train crash at Christs Hospital junction which later resulted in the suicide of the BR crossing keeper.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Was anyone around when the tube was closed. There must have been a "last" time when houses marched up the Tube to Dining Hall. When was it? What did they say the next time it poured with rain - perhaps the following week? "Sorry chaps - no more keeping dry before lunch. Just run up there in the rain, will you?"
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

J.R. wrote:
jhopgood wrote:
John H !

I know that when I was in Prep B, (last year - possibly '59 or '60), there was definitely a suicide in the tunnel, as you describe when one of the bockers decided enough was enough. Seem to remember the bocker in question was a rather tall gaunt gentleman !

It would have been about two years before that terrible train crash at Christs Hospital junction which later resulted in the suicide of the BR crossing keeper.
Sorry John, can't remember the date although it was likely to be in my early years, 59 - 61.
I can't actually remember the train crash, did it take place during term or the holidays?
I remember seeing the Brighton Slacker go through and then that line being closed. We could liberated bits of the fence to make the assault course in the Bird Sanctuary. Being a CCF RE was a real easy option as no-one ever checked what we got up to.
I also remember putting coins on the railway line at the level crossing and being unable to find any trace of them when the train had passed. A definite Sundy afternoon activity before going into Shelley's Wood looking for edible nuts.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:
J.R. wrote:
jhopgood wrote: Chern was my Housemaster in Barnes B for the first year but was replaced by Chris Miller after that. I am not sure but the rumour was that he was/asked for a replacement as he lost a bit of control when there was reputed to be a bit of older boys in junior boys beds. All hearsay, despite the fact that I was there, but who knows.
John H !

Sorry John, can't remember the date although it was likely to be in my early years, 59 - 61.
I can't actually remember the train crash, did it take place during term or the holidays?
I remember seeing the Brighton Slacker go through and then that line being closed. We could liberated bits of the fence to make the assault course in the Bird Sanctuary. Being a CCF RE was a real easy option as no-one ever checked what we got up to.
I also remember putting coins on the railway line at the level crossing and being unable to find any trace of them when the train had passed. A definite Sundy afternoon activity before going into Shelley's Wood looking for edible nuts.
Hi John.

It was definitely term time, and during the hours of darkness, probably very late evening.

A massive BOOOM and a bright flash, then complete silence.

It transpired the points at the Junction were incorrectly set, allowing a slow puffer through before the faster electric, which ran into the puffer, if memory serves.

The crossing keeper decided after the intial enquiry to go 'Walkabout' on the line as a fast train was coming through.

I have a friend locally who is a railway buff, (He works for AMEC, after years with Railtrack). I'll ask him if he can dig out the facts.
Nyort
3rd Former

Regarding the tube

Post by Nyort »

I seem to remember on my squits (a couple of years ago now) that a few of my friends from Peele (where the door is apparantly never locked) ventured down into the tube. They found a few cases of homebrew which they didn't touch (put off, so they say, by the 'i woz ere '85' signature on it)

I was also roped into Museum Club last year (not getting any of my chosen actives) and we were given a choice of covering the Tube or researching the boy who killed himself when CH was still in London. Unfortunately, my peers chose the boy. I haven't forgiven them since - it would have been the one way I would have enjoyed Museum Club.

But still, at the time of writing (22nd October 2005) I am in Prep Block, and am still trying to find an entrance to the Tube.

Not that I'd go down there. Honest. :roll:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The house entrances to the tube are in the hallway between the two joined houses. A downward staircase almost opposite the Housemasters study.

The girls of Coleridge told me that ALL the entrances to the tube have now been sealed due to asbestos.

If asbestosis strikes, can I sue Housey ???