Sex 'n' Drugs 'n' Rock'n'Roll Part 1: Substance Abuse

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Sex 'n' Drugs 'n' Rock'n'Roll Part 1: Substance Abuse

Post by englishangel »

It was in a locked cupboard in the vestry in our time. 2's was the 'chapel' house when we were there and weren't you in 2's Vonny? Perhaps a little before your time.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

In about 1966 the Observer (or maybe the Sunday Times) brought out a full-page story (with photo) with the headline "Confessions of an Oxford Drug Addict". The junkie in question was an OB in JR's house (whom he'll doubtless remember) called A***** M***t. For his pains he was rusticated from Oxford for a term for "bringing the name of the university into disrepute". The article didn't mention his CH background, but caused some embarrassment there nonetheless, I imagine. He was not of course a drug addict. He just smoked a joint or two occasionally and took amphetamines (probably in the form described in post 1 of this thread).
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:It was in a locked cupboard in the vestry in our time. 2's was the 'chapel' house when we were there and weren't you in 2's Vonny? Perhaps a little before your time.
I was in 2's but don't remember 2's as being the "chapel" house. Mind you - chapel & me didn't really go :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I've said it before, Vonny it wasn't the Chapel House in my time. Each Senior House had a Chapel Girl, usually in Lower VI, I was the Senior Chapel Girl when I was in the Upper VI. The Chapel girl prepared for early communion, lit candles etc on Sundays, on a roster. The Chapel dusting on Fridays went round the houses again on a roster.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I can't remember Chapel Dusting. I'll ask AudreyG if it means anything to her.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I don't remember any house being involved with the chapel in any way. During my time I know 2's were associated with the chemi lab as I remember being dragged over there by the VI form after breakfast to "clean" the lab. I also remember Miss Wilson picking 2 of us to do the same to her "Geogo" classroom. I didn't mind that one because if you timed it right you would miss chapel!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Vonny wrote: Meanwhile it made front page in The Express :shock: I still have the cutting somewhere.
I came across the cutting today - I haven't got a scanner unfortunately although I did take a picture of it but it's too blurry to put on here.
It mentions the letter sent home to parents and has quotes from Richard Poulton. I am sure the talk we all had was from Mr Hansford though - I can't remember what was going on at the time re headmasters :?
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Vonny wrote:
Vonny wrote: Meanwhile it made front page in The Express :shock: I still have the cutting somewhere.
I came across the cutting today - I haven't got a scanner unfortunately although I did take a picture of it but it's too blurry to put on here.
It mentions the letter sent home to parents and has quotes from Richard Poulton. I am sure the talk we all had was from Mr Hansford though - I can't remember what was going on at the time re headmasters :?
I'm sure the talk was from Hansford. If I remember rightly it all kicked off towards the end of the year. Hansford was in place only as a temporary headmaster after Baker left so it may have been that Poulton had been appointed but maybe not started?
Barnes B / Mid A
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

You're probably right - it was definitely Hansford giving the talk.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Some of the older people on here may be able to add flesh to a family story

My great grandad was science master (and muscician) at CH in the early part of last century (I don't know the years but I have a picture of him by the lead water tank outside a very new looking new science school). He lived at the end of new road in Southwater, apparently he was not adverse to allowing the grecians at the time leave their biycles and coats in his shed so they could go into the hen & chick. If you went straight across the road at the end of the wapplegate track there is/was a footpath that led to the end of his road.

When we were at ch we bought alcohol either at the mace line shop in southwater after changing on the old platform under the railway bridge or changed in the bushes on tower hill and went to the shop in the needles estate.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

wurzel wrote:Some of the older people on here may be able to add flesh to a family story

My great grandad was science master (and muscician) at CH in the early part of last century .
How old do you think some of us are, Wurzel?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I wondered that as well, Michael !!

:axe:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Well he taught with Kirby for a bit and I know a few of you lot remember him teaching. I'm thinking just pre ww2
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

wurzel wrote:Well he taught with Kirby for a bit and I know a few of you lot remember him teaching. I'm thinking just pre ww2
Kirby was there until about 1970 -- so he lasted into a different era, from which a number of us sexagenarian youngsters remember him.

Do we have any pre-war Blues on this forum, incidentally?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Neill the Notorious says he is over 80....
Midget would have been at Hertford during WW2
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966