Single sex versus mixed schooling

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Single sex vs mixed sex

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:I don't think that is just CH.

My daughter (wot her again?) 16 and gorgeous, has only had one boyfriend, from another school. I think he was a 'tick in the box', to say she had had one. He lasted three weeks then she dumped him after she met his friends. she reckoned they passed one brain cell round.

She has lots of boy mates, as she has a twin brother they often come to our house and she takes great delight in wandering around in her skimpy pyjamas.
She is watching Rock School with me and thinks Dudley is cute but did say she wouldn't sleep with Gene Smmons. I said I wouldn't either :roll:
That makes three of us !

What's your address, again ???
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
helen
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by helen »

A point that doesn't come up so much in English schools, because most children wear uniforms, is the problem of dress - or undress - that prevails in high schools in NAmerica. I sent my sons to s ingle sex private day high school (and they had lots of coed activities after school) because, after having worked in a state high school, I felt so sorry for the boys, many of whom had great difficulty in focussing on lessons when surrounded by girls wearing the briefest of clothes, mostly too smalll. Some dropped out early because of failed subjects when they could have done much better if there had been fewer distractions in the hormone department. Attempts to impose dress codes are not taken very seriously and since there is little in the way of streaming the girls who don't have much up top often dont wear much up top either. They do what they're good at which usually doesnt involve boring things like maths or English. Also, boys who want to focus on their studies are often labelled nerds or stereotyped as weaklings, in contrast with the football star or the hockey hero, even though they may be quite active in these sports . Physical prowess is given more public applause than intellectual achievement in many of the large, very mixed ability coed public high schools.
Another argument in favour of same sex (DAY) schools has been shown to be that girls function much better for subjects like maths and science in all girls' classes where they are not intimidated by boys mainatining that these aren't girls' subjects, taking over in practical work etc etc. Some schools here are compromising by having single sex classes for these subjects only which does help.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

[quote="sport!"]Like J.R., I was an only child and left a single-sex CH at 18, pretty ignorant of how to relate sensibly with the opposite sex......

Ditto, except I was adopted twice (once before going to CH and again when I was there at the age of 17) but until the second such I lived "downstairs" as in "Upstairs, Downstairs". In those circumstances any contact with females had to be under proper adult supervision, except where that female was young in which case it was absolutely banned.
Looking back, the only unsupervised contact I had with a female under 50 was with a nurse fr4om the infirmary and, her husband being an old blue who might be reading this, I have to stress that at the time I had no idea what "it" was about and she didn't teach me :(

Scarred for life? Perhaps
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Single sex or mixed

Post by englishangel »

The funny thing around us is,

At the boys' grammar they wear blazers, ties etc. then in Sixth form they wear sports jackets (as in, like their father's) and a sixth form tie,

At the girls' grammar they wear sweatshirts over a blouse, and the shortest skirts you have ever seen, then in Sixth form they can wear their own clothes and they nearly all wear jeans. A couple of years ago when those very low jeans were fashionable I swear some of the girls had them stapled to the pubis, it was the only way they could possibly have stayed up.

At the mixed upper school, they have just switched to blazers and ties (formerly sweatshirts) and the girls can wear skirts or trousers, and 99.9% wear trousers. In sixth form they wear their own clothes, no cleavage, no midriff and no shoulders showing.

My son and daughter are both known as bofs (boffins, nerds, geeks, hard workers) and they are proud of it, mind you my daughter would intimidate anyone who said otherwise, she scares the hell out of me.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Single sex or mixed

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:The funny thing around us is,

At the boys' grammar they wear blazers, ties etc. then in Sixth form they wear sports jackets (as in, like their father's) and a sixth form tie,

At the girls' grammar they wear sweatshirts over a blouse, and the shortest skirts you have ever seen, then in Sixth form they can wear their own clothes and they nearly all wear jeans. A couple of years ago when those very low jeans were fashionable I swear some of the girls had them stapled to the pubis, it was the only way they could possibly have stayed up.

At the mixed upper school, they have just switched to blazers and ties (formerly sweatshirts) and the girls can wear skirts or trousers, and 99.9% wear trousers. In sixth form they wear their own clothes, no cleavage, no midriff and no shoulders showing.

My son and daughter are both known as bofs (boffins, nerds, geeks, hard workers) and they are proud of it, mind you my daughter would intimidate anyone who said otherwise, she scares the hell out of me.
STAPLES ?

PUBIS ?

Don't you have to belong to some weird kinky club in West London to do this sort of thing ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Single sex or mixed

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:The funny thing around us is,

STAPLES ?

PUBIS ?

Don't you have to belong to some weird kinky club in West London to do this sort of thing ?
Some of them look as though they do.

T :evil: he school is directly across the road from us and it sdoes my husbands heart and blood pressure no good.

The boys like it though.