CH food

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

CH food

Post by Euterpe13 »

Does anyone have their recipe books from Miss Jukes' classes ? My disappeared during one of my multiple moves, and I have never been able to get my Shrewsbury biscuits right...
Also, if you have the recipe for the kitchen's sausage hot-pot, please send ...
many thanks
B.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've still got mine!!! I do use it occasionally 8) Will see if I can dig it out and find the biscuit recipe - I moved house a few months back and I have a feeling they may still be in one of the 3 or 4 boxes yet to be unpacked! :oops: :lol:

Don't seem to remember the sausage recipe :? I ended up with a fair few recipes as I went on to do cookery (or food & nutrition as it became known) for O level.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: CH food

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:Does anyone have their recipe books from Miss Jukes' classes ? My disappeared during one of my multiple moves, and I have never been able to get my Shrewsbury biscuits right...
many thanks
B.
Try using really cheap sausages, I think it was all the bread crumbs in them that made it like it was.

You probably would not be able to reproduce it with Spanish sausages anyway.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

SHREWSBURY BISCUITS

4oz plain flour
2oz sugar
2oz marg
1oz currants
1/2 egg

Oven on at gas mark 6 or 375f electric
Grease baking sheet
Chop & rub fat into flour, add fruit and sugar
Mix, make a well and add nearly all the egg and bind (round ended knife :lol: ), knead together
Roll out 1/4" thick, cut out, place on tin
Bake 8-10 mins

Taken straight from my cookery book! 8)
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

This really could spawn a new topic on Housey recipes...
Beats the bad flapjacks I usually make to take to work when pressed...
J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Yum yum...Miss Jukes "Lemon Curd"
For some reason Miss Jukes made me feel hopeless at cookery but I've grown up to be ( so I'm told) more than competent and I enjoy it.However I cook the intuitive way rather than the " stick precisely to the recipe and method" way and Betty would have a fit if she ever observed me in my kitchen.I think I'll try those Shrewsbury Biccies though...yum !( I notice Vonnie that you are 15 years younger than me...so did you spend some time at Horsham, too ?......unbelievable that Miss Jukes was still doing the same stuff all those years later...she already seemed ancient to 13 year old me !)

Re. Sausage Hot pot.( this, for the uninitiated was a regular school tea served for 36 girls per house, in those big aluminium trays) about a year ago I spent a few days on holiday with some CH Hertford " chums" and one of them ( lovely Jacquie Tomlinson from 3s) bought along a really useful husband,Chris who endlessly and joyfully cooked for us all ( incorporating copious amounts of wine into the recipes).Chris. apparently had mastered the art of sausage hotpot after several experiments ( under Jacquie's instruction) and indeed ,it only works if the sausages are the cheapest, and produce lots of luvverly grease thus oiling the ingredients , infusing them with the sausage flavour and stopping them all sticking to the pan.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

CH food

Post by englishangel »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Yum yum...Miss Jukes "Lemon Curd"
For some reason Miss Jukes made me feel hopeless at cookery but I've grown up to be ( so I'm told) more than competent and I enjoy it.However I cook the intuitive way rather than the " stick precisely to the recipe and method" way and Betty would have a fit if she ever observed me in my kitchen.I think I'll try those Shrewsbury Biccies though...yum !( I notice Vonnie that you are 15 years younger than me...so did you spend some time at Horsham, too ?......unbelievable that Miss Jukes was still doing the same stuff all those years later...she already seemed ancient to 13 year old me !)

Re. Sausage Hot pot.( this, for the uninitiated was a regular school tea served for 36 girls per house, in those big aluminium trays) about a year ago I spent a few days on holiday with some CH Hertford " chums" and one of them ( lovely Jacquie Tomlinson from 3s) bought along a really useful husband,Chris who endlessly and joyfully cooked for us all ( incorporating copious amounts of wine into the recipes).Chris. apparently had mastered the art of sausage hotpot after several experiments ( under Jacquie's instruction) and indeed ,it only works if the sausages are the cheapest, and produce lots of luvverly grease thus oiling the ingredients , infusing them with the sausage flavour and stopping them all sticking to the pan.
I would think the Value line at Tesco would be indispensable because it was also full of really watery tomatoes as well.

I know Muss Jukes and Miss Wilson had been to Majorca in 1962 and went back in 1968 when it had become 'so touristy', I wonder if they went back more recently?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:I notice Vonnie that you are 15 years younger than me...so did you spend some time at Horsham, too ?......unbelievable that Miss Jukes was still doing the same stuff all those years later...she already seemed ancient to 13 year old me !)
I was at CH from 1981-1988 so spent 4 years at Hertford & 3 at Horsham. Both Miss Jukes & Miss Wilson seemed ancient to me at the time - they must surely have been past retirement age back then?? :? I was actually quite afraid of both of them, particularly Miss Jukes I would say - was a brave decision for me to do cookery for O level bearing that in mind! 8) She did have a knack of making you feel very silly if for example you used a metal spoon instead of a wooden spoon - can remember her belllowing across the room "WOODEN SPOON!" :roll: She'd have a flying fit if she saw what I did in the kitchen these days!! :shock: I did pass the O level though - all 3 of us that did it got a B :lol:
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Thanks to all ! We really are a brilliant lot...

for the sausage hot-pot ( in my days served at lunch), of course I use english bangers ( lovingly transported here by my Ma), but perhaps she is being too " up-market"... will try to get some greasier ones and try again ( for those who DON'T know, basic ingredients were bangers, tinned tomatoes, macaroni and I add a some chopped onions - the sort of meal that sticks to your ribs and lets you know you've eaten !)

I positively revelled in Miss Jukes' classes - still make my bread the way she taught me.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Euterpe13 wrote:Does anyone have their recipe books from Miss Jukes' classes ? My disappeared during one of my multiple moves, and I have never been able to get my Shrewsbury biscuits right...
many thanks
B.
Does anyone remember skimming the fat off the tops of those pans before lunch? Aprons.. prayers before and after! The first time yoghurt was introduced (well when I was there!) and the once a week house that got "soft" boiled eggs!

Had both Miss Wilson and Miss Jukes - they were past retirement age when I was 12 - SURELY!!! that was in 1975!! My cake decorations were always "anaemic Judith, just like you" - but I got an A at O level, and she was very nice to me then!!! I think she gave me a really good grounding in cookery - these days I can throw anything together at a moments notice, and I'm sure she would be glad that I still make my own bread, cakes, jams etc.. Although I'm not sure what she would say about being vegetarian!

We learnt REAL geography with Miss Wilson - does anyone remember the geography room? The maps on the walls? Demographic - we learnt things that mattered such as which country produced what, where tectonic plates are (no not in the cupboard!) and stuff that mine didn't learn - my son's geography GCSE was all about how people got to a supermarket! In our day it was where the produce in the supermarket had come from!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Jude wrote:
We learnt REAL geography with Miss Wilson - does anyone remember the geography room? The maps on the walls? Demographic - we learnt things that mattered such as which country produced what, where tectonic plates are (no not in the cupboard!) and stuff that mine didn't learn - my son's geography GCSE was all about how people got to a supermarket! In our day it was where the produce in the supermarket had come from!
Mine (16 & 20) didn't do geography, but they DO know what tectonic plates are. Especially after the tsunami and Pakistan earthquake, altho' they did know before.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Jude wrote:We learnt REAL geography with Miss Wilson - does anyone remember the geography room? The maps on the walls? Demographic - we learnt things that mattered such as which country produced what, where tectonic plates are (no not in the cupboard!)
And not forgetting Ox bow lakes :lol:

I remember the "geogo" room :lol: Miss Wilson always liked 2 of us to go to her classroom before lessons and wipe the board clean and put up that days date :roll: And thinking about it we had to sweep the floors :shock: Did they not have cleaners in those days??
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Yes, must admit that although I loathed geography, Miss Wilson was a great teacher - I must be the only person I know ( outside Scandinavia) who knows where Stavanger is - and can still draw a fairly good free-hand norwegian coast !
B
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Vonny wrote:
Jude wrote:We learnt REAL geography with Miss Wilson - does anyone remember the geography room? The maps on the walls? Demographic - we learnt things that mattered such as which country produced what, where tectonic plates are (no not in the cupboard!)

I remember the "geogo" room :lol: Miss Wilson always liked 2 of us to go to her classroom before lessons and wipe the board clean and put up that days date :roll: And thinking about it we had to sweep the floors :shock: Did they not have cleaners in those days??
I still think of Miss Wilson every time I see the titles of East Enders. (Not often)
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:
Vonny wrote:

I still think of Miss Wilson every time I see the titles of East Enders. (Not often)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that - I'll think of her as well now! :roll: :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41