Fiona Bruce at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Fiona Bruce at CH

Post by michael scuffil »

Fjgrogan wrote:
Are there any other genealogy nuts out there in the ranks of Old Bluedom, I wonder?
Yes.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Me too, but haven't managed to get back further than 1784
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Ah ! if only I could trace my Fathers Family ----- You see we are Irish, and the records of B.M.& D which used to be in Somerset House, only started recording Irish Records very much later (I forget the date !) Our only "Record" is a very large, brass bound Bible, obviously of Victorian Vintage, and Family Legends, handed down by word of mouth ! As you may guess, some of these don't tally !
Records are, of course in the various Parishes in Ireland, and visiting our "Family" Graveyard in Avoca, Co. Wicklow has been profitable, to a certain extent.
Apropos Avoca----- that was where they filmed the "Ballykissangel" series -- it has ruined the Village, now full of coachloads of Tourists from Dublin and the shop is now entitled "The Ballykissangel Shop" UGH, UGH. and again UGH !
I repeat our Family Joke about "Only an Irishman could be called Evans -- and be Irish !" But you must understand that Coracles are difficult to navigate !
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Apropos Avoca----- that was where they filmed the "Ballykissangel" series -- it has ruined the Village, now full of coachloads of Tourists from Dublin and the shop is now entitled "The Ballykissangel Shop" UGH, UGH. and again UGH !
I repeat our Family Joke about "Only an Irishman could be called Evans -- and be Irish !" But you must understand that Coracles are difficult to navigate !

"The Ballykissangel Shop"? NEILL, I sympathise! Terrible. :oops:

In the 111rd Form at Hertford, we were taught Geography and English by our Form Mistress Miss Champion. She was a thin, bony, fierce and slightly creepy young woman - extremely Irish. She was very keen on our Form book for reading around the class - it was called "Bran the Bronze Smith". The hero, when not sussing out the recipe for making bronze, spent a lot of time paddling around in his skilfully crafted coracle.

I imagine that many, many Old Girls understand how difficult it is to navigate a coracle.

Splash, tskk! and splash again! :(
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: Apropos Avoca----- that was where they filmed the "Ballykissangel" series -- it has ruined the Village, now full of coachloads of Tourists from Dublin and the shop is now entitled "The Ballykissangel Shop" UGH, UGH. and again UGH !
Somewhat like Holmfirth, home of 'Last Of The Summer Wine'.

Are we straying off-topic ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Back to topic.
Today's Sunday Times 'Culture' supplement has a photo on the Monday (tomorrow) page recommending as 'Choice' the 'Who Do You Think You Are?' programme re Fiona Bruce at 9.00 p.m.. For those of us who would recognise it, the photo is clearly taken in the Chapel pews at Horsham, with blue hymnbooks at even intervals, in the background. Apparently she has unearthed an ancestor who died in WW1 (I suspect the Old Blue) and another who was a photographer, charlatan, and who ended up in ignomy.
Looking forward to the programme, anway, and the filming at Horsham!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Back to topic.
Today's Sunday Times 'Culture' supplement has a photo on the Monday (tomorrow) page recommending as 'Choice' the 'Who Do You Think You Are?' programme re Fiona Bruce at 9.00 p.m.. For those of us who would recognise it, the photo is clearly taken in the Chapel pews at Horsham, with blue hymnbooks at even intervals, in the background. Apparently she has unearthed an ancestor who died in WW1 (I suspect the Old Blue) and another who was a photographer, charlatan, and who ended up in ignomy.
Kerren
Isn't that a part of Milton Keynes ?

:axe:
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Glad to know you continue to feel better JR. I probably meant 'ignominy'... but who knows?! Where is 'Milton Keynes'?
Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the programme tomorrow and I bet the Forum will be sizzling thereafter!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Glad to know you continue to feel better JR. I probably meant 'ignominy'... but who knows?! Where is 'Milton Keynes'?
Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the programme tomorrow and I bet the Forum will be sizzling thereafter!
I intend to 'SIZZLE' during it.

Don't forget it is repeated about a day later, so duo-sizzling. :shock:
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

J.R. wrote:
Kerren

Ahem...... JR - do you want those arms permanently disabled? :axe:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

jhopgood wrote:Me too, but haven't managed to get back further than 1784

Likewise, except I'm stuck with g-g-grandparents, at 1806 (on the Sidebottom side). I haven't got any further back using online resources than my mother did some years ago the traditional way, but what I have done, which has been fun, is come forward filling in lots of second and third cousins, some of whom I am now in contact with.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I joined Genes Reunited for a while, but I found I was wasting even more time than usual. I did however get a reply from one cousin who had given me the wrong parents, and who claimed to have met me when i was dissecting an eyeball, an episode of which I have no memory at all. He may be getting back at me because he is the one I am alleged to have tipped out of my pedal car when we were both about 3!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jo wrote:
J.R. wrote:
Kerren

Ahem...... JR - do you want those arms permanently disabled? :axe:
a.k.a. The Concrete Cow - One of the most confusing building sites I've ever had the misfortune to try and drive through.

Still - It isn't that far north of the lovely Treacle Bumstead !
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

Missed it but I think it's repeated tomorrow evening.

So how was it?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Well I found that a bit frustrating! It might have been good to find out whether Fiona's relative went on to wonderful worthwhile things with the benefit of his CH education! Mind you I have always been conscious that I didn't - except for extending the same privilege to two daughters! I tend to feel that if your children qualify for admission that probably means that you have failed to use the 'benefits that you have received' - either that or you have married a clergyman! Anyway the rest of the programme was quite interesting!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'