Photos from Hertford

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Hertford photos from the sixties

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Hi Mary,

Thanks for e-mailing the pics.

I am hoping to see you all at that Travelodge, though I haven't booked anything yet. I spoke to Jacquie Tomlinson ( 3s... year below us) on the phone yesterday.She often visits Hertford Town as she lives near and strongly suggests,as the museum is titchy, that we visit in very small groups. I vaguely remember visiting the museum,when I was at school,on one of my forays into town

Hi Alex/Everyone

Helen, Museum Curator, was a little perturbed at the thought of hoardes of us advancing on the Museum in one go. Apparently it can house about 40 people at a time. However, she also mentioned that cream teas will be available in the knot garden :wink:

Kerren and/or I will be 'at the door' from 12.30 onwards, and I have a vague plan to document where people are heading off to between museum visit and dinner so that interested others can attempt to ambush them.

I discovered (the joys of the internet) that there is a pub directly opposite the museum, which Jo kindly checked it out for us last weekend. Verdict? OK in a chain pubish sort of way.

Alex - pm on way re accommodation.

xx
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Just seen these and it appears that my sister, Josephine, is second from right in the front row. I am e-mailing it to her for confirmation.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Mary's photos the right way round

Post by lonely_wolf »

It's not easy for me to tell, but I think it's these 3 of Mary's photos that were posted the wrong way round, so here they are the other way round. I was going to mirror "Alex and Susan" too since Alex thought it needed it, but if I do that wouldn't the blazer badge be on the wrong side?

Sixes, after winning a cup on sports day

Another photo of Sixes, with the cup

A view from the Wardrobe Room in Sixes

Here are links so you can see the whole pictures, the above are truncated on my browser. The 1st is Alex and Susan reversed, opinion Alex?

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... _susan.jpg

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... _cup_1.jpg

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... _cup_2.jpg

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... _sixes.jpg
3s visitor 1975
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Mary's photos the right way round

lonely_wolf wrote:
Here are links so you can see the whole pictures, the above are truncated on my browser. The 1st is Alex and Susan reversed, opinion Alex?

Ummm, without wishing to be offensive - photographs are copyright, and I get seriously pi$$ed off when someone hijacks my photographs. Having said that, none of those photographs are mine.

Best wishes

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Heavens Caroline... I apologise if I've ever unwittingly "hijacked" one of your photos !

Thankyou,Lonely Wolf .... I've no idea which way is the right way round....and I can't remember where we wore our badge !
I think my parting is on the wrong side in your altered image. Totally confused !
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Heavens Caroline... I apologise if I've ever unwittingly "hijacked" one of your photos !

Thankyou,Lonely Wolf .... I've no idea which way is the right way round....and I can't remember where we wore our badge !
I think my parting is on the wrong side in your altered image. Totally confused !
Hi Lonely Wolf

I am very sorry if I 'got the wrong end of the stick' and that Alex knew that you were including them on your Photobucket page.

As I said, those photographs weren't mine - so I should really should have minded my own business.

To explain, my daughter is a semi-pro photographer and often finds her shots appearing on friends webpages without acknowledgement.

To clarify, any CH photographs taken by me are freely available to any of the people I send them to, to do with as they will.

So, once again, please accept my sincere apologies if I misread the situation.

Best wishes

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

"Alex and Susan" is the wrong may round here. Everyone wears the badge on the left breast pocket. The other three (that are up on the forum) are correct. I have changed my parting since I left school.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

These pictures are wonderful!

Your avatar is gorgeous too, Lonely Wolf! No wonder you were such a welcome visitor at Hertford!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by lonely_wolf »

I'm a bit shocked/puzzled by the possibility that what I did might constitute copyright theft. The only reason I put them on Photobucket was because this is the method recommended by this forum (see FIRST TIME VISITORS - How to post pictures). I'd never used Photobucket before and have no intention of drawing anyone's attention to them other than by posting links on the forum, let alone depriving Mary of any royalties she might otherwise have accrued!

Now that we've reached a consensus on the seesaw picture, i.e. the correct way round is ...

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... _round.jpg

... could someone explain where it was taken from and especially what are the portico structures beyond the swings and on Alex's non-badge side? Can we confirm whether it is the science block or the school block on the other side?

Apologies for my continuing obsession with the architecture, it's a lifelong trait to understand where things are in relation to other things!
3s visitor 1975
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

To the right of the picture is the back of the school/classroom block and the arch leads from the back door of that to the cloisters. Not really cloisters as in a church but just a covered passage running along the back wall.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mary:

Is that you with the glasses and pigtails, centre-parted ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

JR - they are not pigtails, they are BUNCHES....
What don't you know about girls' hairstyles?!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

kerrensimmonds wrote:JR - they are not pigtails, they are BUNCHES....
What don't you know about girls' hairstyles?!
Don't get me started on 'ladies hair-styles' , Kerren !!

It could lead anywhere !

By the way - It was a serious question ! :drinkers:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by lonely_wolf »

Angela Woodford wrote:These pictures are wonderful!
Agreed, thanks to Mary Lynch (McDonagh) who created them, and to the school for providing a dark room.
Last edited by lonely_wolf on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3s visitor 1975
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

J.R. ...I think you are talking about Judith Staines ( another Reverend's daughter) with the BUNCHES and glasses and quite tall.Rather happy and good hearted as I remember, as all vicar's daughters should be :)

Lonely Wolf...I'm sure you realise that those buldings ( School block and Science block ) have been long demolished. There are flats there now.All very residential and pleasant. That horrible wall around the school , which cut Hertford off from it's very heart, has also mostly gone and people can stroll from Tescos (used to be school playing field) across The Square , between the Houses ( still there) , through the new apartments area and out into the town shopping /market area the other side. The air can blow through and its miles more ...er...Feng Shui. I found it really nice that ordinary townspeople were just wandering around what used to be the school grounds...so healthy after all that cut-off isolation.

A lovely, youthful photo of you, Lonely Wolf although you do look as if you were quite shy. I'm sure Sophie was enchanted :)