Housemasters staying in post

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Housemasters staying in post

Post by michael scuffil »

postwarblue wrote:I think Bill Armistead had been Master of the Royal Mathematical School (to give 'head of maths' its proper title) and deputy to The Oil since at least the forties.

Fryer took over Col B when Chinky Buck, who had been there since 1930, was sacked in 1955 (?56). About 1950 Mid B went to Gad Malins, who had at various periods been junior hm in Col B.

At this time Bl..dy Johnnie ran Lamb A, in his own style which included not having house colours. Th.B (?Th.A) had Fred Haslehust who chose orange and purple (?) as their house colours, why I dread to think.

In 1946/7 Eagle was deputy to Mr Pink in PyB.

Not a word against Pongo Littlefield who put me up for an RAF Flying Scholarship, something for which I'll be forever grateful, even though I paid out the flying club where my 30 hours was booked by breaking their Tiger Moth and the RAF by joining the RN (which I had been going to do since I was 3 anyway).
Armistead remained in those posts at least until 1963, I think he was succeeded in both by Slim McConnell. I believe when Tom Keeley (a classicist) was made Second Master, it was the first time the two posts were divided (but I am open to correction on that).

Orange and purple were the ThA house colours -- an excruciating combination, I agree.

Mr Pink did not return after the 1955 summer holidays, i.e. for Seaman's first term. I suspect the two events were not unconnected.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mr Armistead was certainly there until I left.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

On re-reading this Topic, I am somewhat surprised at the supressed vitriol emanating from those at Hertford !
Was it really as bad as that ? or were you more sensitive than we were ?

You will notice that I am, with great care, avoiding the question of the sex of the complainants, as a reason !

:axe:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Yes and no.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Yes and no.
Well, that answers that, then !
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

There seems to have been a big difference between houses at Herford, depending on the whim of the housemistress. Even in my day 6s was more laaid back, 8s had a woman who was pathologically houseproud, and in 3s we had someone who could not bear not to know what you were doing, what your posessions were, and almost what you were thinking. To this day I can't stand anyone poking about among my clothes, make up, crafts or anything else.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

When I left (1955) there had only been two housemasters of Col B since the move from Newgate street. The one in my time was AH Buck (Buckie) who was sacked shortly after I left - allegedly for peeing out of the dormitory window on to the headmaster's head.

...... but there may have been other reasons.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:When I left (1955) there had only been two housemasters of Col B since the move from Newgate street. The one in my time was AH Buck (Buckie) who was sacked shortly after I left - allegedly for peeing out of the dormitory window on to the headmaster's head.

...... but there may have been other reasons.
WELL - I'd heard rumours of the sudden departure of a certain Mr Buck from Coleridge B before my house-master, (N. Fryer) arrived, but you're the FIRST person to give an account of the reason, Dave !

Was he a drinker, perchance, or just a rebel somewhat like me ?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Dave is (presumably deliberately) conflating two stories about Buck. The real reasons for his departure are well known, but so is his hatred of the previous headmaster (Flecker) against whose brass plate he is said to have pee-ed. (Given his propensity for alcohol, this story is entirely credible.)

It is ironic that Buck, who was on the staff throughout Flecker's (over)long incumbency, and survived it, was dismissed by Seaman in the latter's first year. Seaman's exact words of dismissal were reported to me by the son (also in ColB) of a good cricketing friend of Buck's. They were terse, in Seamanesque style, but (untypical of Seaman), blunt. I won't repeat them, but if I hint at "misfortune" and "rhyme" (twice), you can work them out.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I must admit I always found C.M.E.S somewhat enigmatic.

He always reminded me of a stalking vulture as he strode up the cloisters, robe flowing and puffing away on his pipe with his hands behind his back.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

In my geriatric innocence, I am unable to decipher the reasons , or the words of Buck's dismissal --
Was it suggested that he take a job with sex and travel ?
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Oh Neill, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hasn't managed to work out Michael's cryptic message. Michael can you give Neill and myself another clue what 'misfortune' and 'rhyme' (twice) means?
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

lonelymom wrote:Oh Neill, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hasn't managed to work out Michael's cryptic message. Michael can you give Neill and myself another clue what 'misfortune' and 'rhyme' (twice) means?
Misfortune? I'd suggest it means your luck is tough (toff?)... :lol: :lol:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I still don't get it. Am I being incredibly thick? Or am I just very innocent?
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Does 'luck off' make it a tad easier to spot...? :lol: :lol: Of course, I don't know Michael and could well be barking up the wrong tree - wouldn't be the first time. Many trees will vouch for that...