What Doesn't Happen At CH These Days?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: What Doesn't Happen At CH These Days?

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

sejintenej wrote:
midget wrote:
Sorry to hear about the anti-tet jab problem; over here it is required by law as are the follow-ups.
One problem with the old vaccine was that it was raised in horses, and many people would have an anaphylactic reaction to the horse serum.

No longer a problem.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

sejintenej wrote:
These things happen - life is unfair and the universe doesn't care if something happens to you, or to me, or to all mankind
I sip my strong morning coffee, switch on the computer and read..... see above.

Do you really think this, David? :?

I don't want to start boring you with personal philosophy and going :offtopic: but I can't agree. And to get slightly :backtotopic: it is very usual to find Hertford girls, who endured the rigours of the years there, to have chosen professions where they put right injustices and unfairness; who love and care for their own children and society's vulnerable people.

Couldn't you think that this is "the Universe" putting things right?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote: it is very usual to find Hertford girls, who endured the rigours of the years there, to have chosen professions where they put right injustices and unfairness; who love and care for their own children and society's vulnerable people.

Couldn't you think that this is "the Universe" putting things right?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

xx
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Going back to the anti-tetanus, an anaphylactic reaction occurs almost immediately 10 minutes not 10 days later, so it would have been a reaction to something else.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I do remember a couple of the teachers smoking and some of the older ones smelt of stale pipe smoke but by the end of my time at CH, they certainly didn't smoke in 'public'...

I wonder if teachers are still allowed to give alcohol to their tutees... There was a couple of times with my fellow tutees when we we would stumble out of East Lodge...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
thriftymatron
3rd Former

Post by thriftymatron »

Rock-hard Buttermilk Soap (always useful for playing hockey with in the old lav ends) has now been replaced with Hand Sanitizing Foam in wall-mounted dispensers. Some boys, on seeing that there was an alcohol content to the foam, tried unsuccessfully to set fire to a dispenser!
thriftymatron
3rd Former

Post by thriftymatron »

Chrissie Boy wrote:What does this mean, the changing rooms were never really used again, and i don't think even exist anymore?
Pupils now change in their bedrooms and use the usual bathrooms after sport (not good when they return covered in wet mud from rugby). In Peele, Lamb, Maine and Leigh Hunt there are now staff flats where the old changing rooms used to be. Col B's is now visitors' toilets and the rest are either store rooms or common rooms for pupils.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

thriftymatron wrote: Col B's is now visitors' toilets and the rest are either store rooms or common rooms for pupils.
Those will be the toilets without glass in the "windows" (in case we broke it), open to the elements, with doors without catches and which hide very little. Lucky visitors - that'll keep them away making life easier for Security
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Coleridge B - Toilets !

Nothing changes, duz it ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I seem to remember, that the worst injection I received was for Yellow Fever, on being posted to the Sudan. --- It was of the consistency of Treacle, and was, therefore, administered with a "Short Sword " !!
In Egypt, if anyone fell into, or near, the Sweetwater Canal (The best mis-nomer ever !) there was a "Canal Tray" for the Medics containg about 10 preparations against ANYTHING !

Nowadays, The Blessed Anne, and I,each have 4 injections a day self- administered and glad of it !
after 53 and 30 years ,respectively, --- you get to know where the anaesthetoc spots are ! :lol:
I can't remember whether we had any at CH --Anti Smallpox was pretty universal, and of course it was all pre-NHS ! (Ah! the happy times, down the CH Mine !) :roll:
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

My large thanks for the responses to my questions. Much appreciated.

But now I'm confused by thriftymatron's response "Pupils now change in their bedrooms and use the usual bathrooms after sport."

The usual bathrooms? Dear Lord. Bathrooms? For pupils? Whatever next? Fleecy-lined underpants and one's own personal helicopter?

I fear my metabolism would be seriously disrupted if I went back to visit CH these days.

Bring back the stinky soap that smelt worse than excrement.
thriftymatron
3rd Former

Post by thriftymatron »

Chrissie Boy wrote: Whatever next? Fleecy-lined underpants ......
No need for those, as the boys now have comfy moleskin breeches, not the itchy woollen ones of the past!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Chrissie Boy wrote: "Pupils now change in their bedrooms and use the usual bathrooms after sport."
In my day this was one of the most valued privileges of being a monitor. To have the lav-end as one's private changing room, and a proper bath, shared only with the other monitor in that lav-end (there might be two, but if you were lucky, you'd have it to yourself). Your swab, of course, would have run your bath for you, if you trained him properly. Bye bye changing-room trough.

Our soap was pink carbolic, but also quite good for lav-end hockey. With a bit of concentration I can conjure up its (not altogether unpleasant) smell.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

thriftymatron wrote:
Chrissie Boy wrote:What does this mean, the changing rooms were never really used again, and i don't think even exist anymore?
Pupils now change in their bedrooms and use the usual bathrooms after sport (not good when they return covered in wet mud from rugby). In Peele, Lamb, Maine and Leigh Hunt there are now staff flats where the old changing rooms used to be. Col B's is now visitors' toilets and the rest are either store rooms or common rooms for pupils.
Just out of interest, where do visiting teams change, then? We used to have to empty our changing rooms from time to time so that visitors could use them.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Just out of interest, where do visiting teams change, then? We used to have to empty our changing rooms from time to time so that visitors could use them.
Before the 1963/4 rebuilding, I think it was official policy not to let visiting teams anywhere near the primitive changing rooms. The members were assigned minders from the team they were playing, who took them to the lav-ends (which were a tad more civilized, see above).
Th.B. 27 1955-63