Do privileges still exist at CH?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Do privileges still exist at CH?

Post by jtaylor »

When I was there, you weren't allowed to cook toast until you were on the third form, then only at weekends. LE/UF could at any time.

Juniors weren't allowed duvets for the first few years, and hence had to make those sheets/blankets beds each morning.

Can't think of other major ones, other than that the accomodation and work areas got much better the further up the school you went.

I saw all of the above as a benefit - you had something to look forward to and aspire to in the lower years, and wanted to get into the next year, and hence do well at exams etc. etc.
Although only small things, they mattered at the time.

What's it like now? Still the same? What do people think on the privileges and the aspiration to progress and improve?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Maine B was the last junior house to abolish blankets for the squits... they were also the last to have curtains installed in the dorms I think!

Certainly I couldn't make toast on my squits and 3rd form!

I know it's all change now - any pretence at a hierarchy has been abolished...

As some have said there is too much 'hospital' and not enough 'Christ'...
Sergiu Panaite
3rd Former

Post by Sergiu Panaite »

It was actually already bad enough when I finished (2002, unless I'm already senile), second formers could say pretty much anything they wanted to to the Grecians, and no-one really bothered to do anything. We couldn't do anything either, as the new deputy heads would've been on our *** quicker than a quick thing down-hill. It might just be me, but in some ways it all changed (and in a some people's opinion, went downhill) after Mr Sillett and Mrs Cairne left. Haven't been back in a while, will have to go soon out of curiosity really.
Serg
LaB '97-'98, MaA '98-'99, MaB '99-'01, GrE '01-'02 - confused?
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

when i first got to lamb b in 96 as a squit i wasnt allowed to make toast or use the kettle, all i was allowed was the microwave......then on my thrid form it was that squits and third form could use it at specific times but not the kettle, and then on my LE everyone was allowed to use everything, annyoig hey, u wait 3 yrs for toast (cant seemt oeat that much now, think when u make housey toast it better) and then its ruined by liberalism.....

Well later in the school on my deps there were junior and senior kitchens however we would get otld off for using the juniours toaster etc but then they came to ours and stole butter etc we got shouted at for bing mean and hierarchiacal.

stupidty tkaes it toll, bring back the old days.....

a young old man.....
stoice
2nd Former

Post by stoice »

same in a girls house we weren't allowed toast untill LE and but then we tried to make it under lamps as squits!! - how sad!
Stoice
Ba B 92-99
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

ever tried microwaved bread??????? its just not nice....... aahhhh the greatnesss of house biscuits.....oaties now where did they go
parky
2nd Former

Post by parky »

Ah yes, house biscuits. I remember on my squits and 3rd form, the LE got to dish them out once a week, unfairly obviously, then by the time I became an LE, you had to tick your name off and get them from Matron, just when we were ready to abuse the system.

Always a disappointing Monday break time when we got those finger nice biscuits.

Anyone remember when we got hot chocolate and breakaway bars and stuff during break!?!?
Peele B 96-99 (Gladding)
Mid B 99-02 (Reid/Williams)
GrE 02-03 (Walsh)
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

finger nice biscuit were rubbish, oaties and bourbons, still have the love for them now. and yes i got memories of being told off for asjking for a seoncd cup of tea. and then well the juniors got it cos htey delicate and we werent...ha ha
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Oaties, those were the days...

Remember when the LE could serve out food on your table - I remember when I was a squit that the 4 LE would get half an arctic roll each and the other 8 on the table got the remaining roll split between them!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

parky wrote:Ah yes, house biscuits. I remember on my squits and 3rd form, the LE got to dish them out once a week, unfairly obviously, then by the time I became an LE, you had to tick your name off and get them from Matron, just when we were ready to abuse the system.

'Just as we were ready to abuse the system' - that'll be why they stopped it... the problem with the Hierarchy system (which I prefer to this wishy washy liberal ideas we have at CH now) is that it is open to abuse and bullying...
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

oaties. love or hate them?

i thought they were ok, quite often burnt to a crisp though! mmm... acrid
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Only 3 house bisucits - I used to get about 5 packs!
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

jenny... no one took the house biscuits except the bourbons in grecians. and it wasnt as if it was hard to nick them.

besides, they replaced house biscuits with fruit now.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

For everybody:
-No Telly!
-Radio for about 30 minutes an evening between supper and Prep - usually The Archers
-Approved newspapers
- NO POP music unless approved by masters (who would not approve any such thing!)

Monitors and Trades Monitor stayed up after 9.30 pm and could make toast and hot drinks; no radio because we were still doing homework. Could also have the same in the afternoons at weekends, prepared by fags (see below).

Senior 2 monitors in the house had studies (hutches) and also partitioned off sections in the dorms.

Monitors - a fag (Can't remember the housey slang) from the 2nd year. Rarely the trades Mon also had one - at discretion of the house master

Monitors and Trades Monitors could give and invigilate certain punishments

Methinks you lot got it soft :wink:
sejintenej
52-61
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

sejintenej wrote:For everybody:
-No Telly!
-Radio for about 30 minutes an evening between supper and Prep - usually The Archers
-Approved newspapers
- NO POP music unless approved by masters (who would not approve any such thing!)
so you went to school in east germany then...
sejintenej wrote:Methinks you lot got it soft :wink:
sejintenej
52-61
indeed, which is why most of our generation don't see 'bombing the sh1t out of something' as the ultimate solution to the worlds problems.

like spawns like. cruelty spawns cruelty. hate spawns hate. violence spawns violence. (and tertiary education spawns bollox cliches like these! :D )

...i still can't believe they made you listen to The Archers...harsh...
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...