'K.O' and Crushes at Hertford

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

I once started a course in progamming. We were being taught to write in cobol C. I lasted two months and that was it, I admitted defeat, I valued my sanity too much
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I should have given it up for O Level, but I wanted to do medicine at the time and needed it t A level.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

I must confess that I thought of doing medicine but soon gave up on the idea because I don't recall ever managing to get a single experiment to do what it was meant to do. You know the type of thing....When it was meant to go bang, mine just sat there doing nothing, when it was meant to just change colour or something nice and tame, mine went off with a huge bang.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Lol - that reminds me of the great Gordon van Praagh! Although I only did chemistry for one year (I was all arty-farty), if anyone could have persuaded me to do science it was he. Apart from being an internationally acclaimed scientist and teacher, he was a great musician (conducted the Horsham G & S Society and played the 'cello) and entertainer. Things were allways going whoosh and bang at unexpected moments as if by accident at which GVP always assumed an air of great puzzlement and perplexity and, to this day, I remember him explaining the phlogiston theory as if he actually believed it. Jonathan - himself no mean raconteur - tried this on with his chemistry teacher at CH last year only to be rather rebuffed as being a few hundred years out of date!

I bought Jonathan a copy of GVP's Encounters with Stuff for Christmas. We both enjoyed it.
Last edited by DavebytheSea on Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Then where do 'The Three Degrees' fit in ? ? ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

J.R. wrote:Then where do 'The Three Degrees' fit in ? ? ?
Weren't they a pop group a while back - in the days when music was music and not rap or house or acid or garage (where do these names come from?)

:shock: :o
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach