West v East

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Jeeves wrote: But never took a gang-like, territorial, turf-war-esque viewpoint of one side being better than the other. 'west is best'... that's just sad, 'east is beast' well that's just amusing. Bit like the whole A-side vs B-side boarding house thing.
I think the East - West "divide" has probably escalated since the Grecians Houses have been in competition with each other in Singing Comp, Relay races etc, - and quite probably only involves the Grecians anyway! AS far as I can tell there doesn`t appear to be any sort of territorial "battle" going on in the rest of the school!

Amy - in September Barnes A and B will both be in East as the Thornton girls will go to West.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

"gang-like, territorial, turf-war-esque viewpoint of one side being better than the other"

The keyword is viewpoint. I have not mentioned a "territorial battle" just "territorial opinions" that one side is better than the other, these opinions are ridiculous, especially when the staff go along with these opinions by quoting "west is best" all the time. And yes it does happen in lower year groups, for example, A-side / B-side divide and competition between different houses. It's all natural, but it's just another annoying issue at C.H.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I think it`s obvious from the fact that I wrote "battle" that it`s not to be taken literally!! (as well as the fact that i was tired when I wrote it!)

By "the staff" - I presume you mean me?? Which would imply that it was also wrong, or ridiculous, for me to express my support for, and "loyalty" towards ThB in the past?

As you didn`t experience the Grecians houses yourself, you possibly do not realise that a lot of the pupils in them have a strong attachment to "their" house, but it`s all in very good humour!

And it`s an issue which is by no means unique to CH!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

To be honest, I can't recall ANY East/West rivalry.

It was always inter-house rivalry and usually connected with sport, and visiting other houses wasn't particularly welcomed by most Housemasters.

I do remember strolling into Coleridge A through the central corridor one evening in my last term to see a mate, and was confronted by the Illustrious Kit, who boomed, "What are you doing this side of the fence ?"

I had already made up my mind that I was leaving CH at the end of that summer term, no matter what, and walked just past him into the Coleridge A day room, with a cheery, "Just passing through, Sir !"

He just smiled, swivelled on his stick and limped away !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

J.R. wrote:To be honest, I can't recall ANY East/West rivalry.

It was always inter-house rivalry and usually connected with sport,
That`s exactly the point I was making a few posts back - that it all started between, and probably only exists because of, the 2 Grecians houses and their inter-house competitions!!
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

when i was in BAB we always battled against Col A and Leigh Hunts always battled against each other!

many grecians when the get up to grecians houses forget the avenue links-avoid marching/avoid going down there at all!
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

I think it`s obvious from the fact that I wrote "battle" that it`s not to be taken literally!! (as well as the fact that i was tired when I wrote it!)

By "the staff" - I presume you mean me?? Which would imply that it was also wrong, or ridiculous, for me to express my support for, and "loyalty" towards ThB in the past?

I did not name anyone in my rant. I have absolutely no problems with support and loyalty towards a house. In fact I approve of such behaviour. Just think it's a bit childish to be going around saying that one house is better than another. We all know that's complete nonsense.

As you didn`t experience the Grecians houses yourself, you possibly do not realise that a lot of the pupils in them have a strong attachment to "their" house, but it`s all in very good humour!

I did experience the Grecians houses as I was around when people I knew were in them. I've also been heavily informed about them. I had a strong attachment to ThB, but I didn't go around saying it was the best house.

Do you think I live under a rock?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Yes, we do all know it`s complete nonsense that one house may be better than another - that`s why I said it`s all in good humour - not to be taken seriously (except, perhaps, by the people who want to argue about it, of which I am NOT one!)

And - possibly Brighton rock?? :D
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Is is all ing good humour, its what happens when you put people in a situation where they are face each other in some form or another!

I started this topic because my dad said something about the east/west rivarly and it made me ponder the fact I was BaB on the east but in grecians west which i felt much more loyalty for! It was not started to cause a debate on whether or not the rivarly got out of hand or anything but purely so see what people think of it
99yorkpj
Deputy Grecian

Post by 99yorkpj »

In the words of Mr Walsh "East is Beast"...

There was always a little humourous rivalry last year between my mates in west and myself, but nothing too painful.. :)

P.S HELLO AGAIN!
2004-2006, Leigh Hunt B & Grecians' East.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Hi - welcome back! What are you doing now? (Better tell us on another section of the forum or we may be accused of being :offtopic: )
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mrs C. wrote:I think it`s obvious from the fact that I wrote "battle" that it`s not to be taken literally!! (as well as the fact that i was tired when I wrote it!)

Can I say "of course" without causing offence? It is of humanity that we are competitive - each persomn strives to rise above his/her peers whether by intellect, by cunning ...... or even, regretably murder. CH instilled that into us by interhouse games (rugbt, cricket net(murder)ball etc so don't expect us to lose that support for our house just becaus e we haven't seen it for 50 years.

So, when ***** proves he can sink more pints in 30 minutes (or do whatevcer) than #### you can blame it on that competitive spirit inculcated by CH.

We expect housemasters and deputy housemasters to support their houses, matrons (as they were in my day), housemasters' wives, etc and non-affiliated staff were exempted from any such support - I suppose we expected thewm to be neutral. So, Mrs C, I'm letting you off the hook this time.

As for 99yorkpj, have you never heard of the Rape of the Lock? (I'm not sure what Lock got raped or whether it / he / she enjoyed it or whether it/ he/ she worked afterwards,) but it is claimed to be poetry; "West is Best" rhymes, "East is Best" does not; the correct answer is obvious. QED et cetera.

just 2 eurocents' worth
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

So, when ***** proves he can sink more pints in 30 minutes (or do whatevcer) than #### you can blame it on that competitive spirit inculcated by CH
Sexist. I am afraid this is the competition I was best at at Uni. Speed rather than volume though. I was worth two pints on the Chemical Engineering Boat Race team. I didn't do Chem Eng but as they were short of females in that department I was co-opted as my Dept. was not so much a department as an agglomeration.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

sejintenej wrote:We expect housemasters and deputy housemasters to support their houses, matrons (as they were in my day), housemasters' wives, etc and non-affiliated staff were exempted from any such support - I suppose we expected thewm to be neutral. So, Mrs C, I'm letting you off the hook this time.
Me??
But of course I`m neutral !!!! :wink:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jeeves wrote:I think it`s obvious from the fact that I wrote "battle" that it`s not to be taken literally!! (as well as the fact that i was tired when I wrote it!)

I did not name anyone in my rant. I have absolutely no problems with support and loyalty towards a house. In fact I approve of such behaviour. Just think it's a bit childish to be going around saying that one house is better than another. We all know that's complete nonsense.

I did experience the Grecians houses as I was around when people I knew were in them. I've also been heavily informed about them. I had a strong attachment to ThB, but I didn't go around saying it was the best house.

Do you think I live under a rock?
East is East and West is West, and never the Twain shall meet !

Good old Mark ! Did he got to CH, then ?

Incidently. Trivial information, but he was the first author to write a book using a typewriter.

(Anyone seen my anorak ??)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.