Magnus Magnusson

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

paddy wrote: the theatre was very important as part of my eductation in all kinds of ways. What a fabulous luxury for a school to have!
Have to agree, after Uni I got a job woking in a theatre using my experince at school while I tried to get funding for a phd. 13 or so years later I still haven't done the phd and i've worked in the arts/entertainment industry ever since....my dad still thinks I should get a proper job. Whenever I get asked about my career I always say it started when I went on stage aged 12 in a school production of La Traviata and say how ucky we were to have such a resource.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I remember trying to explain to people in my post-CH life what the theatre was like and how professionally it was run - shows weren't a case of pulling back the curtain on a dais in the school hall. It has the most unusual smell too. On a revisit to school with the hubby and kids, going in there knocked me for six and took me right back to being a fairy in Midsummer Night's Dream in 1985/6, Jungle Book (with the now famous Si 'James' D'Arcy), Macbeth and of course Col A's runaway success, The Pied Piper!
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

cj wrote:I remember trying to explain to people in my post-CH life what the theatre was like and how professionally it was run - shows weren't a case of pulling back the curtain on a dais in the school hall. It has the most unusual smell too. On a revisit to school with the hubby and kids, going in there knocked me for six and took me right back to being a fairy in Midsummer Night's Dream in 1985/6, Jungle Book (with the now famous Si 'James' D'Arcy), Macbeth and of course Col A's runaway success, The Pied Piper!
The theatre is hard to explain to people, especially when you add it was a boarding school so people automatically assume you're loaded which is far from the case.

As for the smell I know exactly what you mean, the smell is not unique to CH everytime I go backstage at theatres I tend to get hit by that smell, it takes me right back too.

Be prepapred, I have photos of the productions of Dream and Jungle Book I'm gonig to post here eventually ......
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

adlop wrote:Be prepapred, I have photos of the productions of Dream and Jungle Book I'm gonig to post here eventually ......
I may have to go awol then.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

adlop wrote:Be prepapred, I have photos of the productions of Dream and Jungle Book I'm gonig to post here eventually ......
Oh dear :shock: I think I have an emigration opportunity coming up, so I should be safe :lol: