Medical research vs population growth...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Hendrik wrote:Holland has one of the lowest teenage pregnancy rates yet has one of the most liberal, comprehensive "this is how it's done" sex ed programs in the world. Whilst we're on Holland, they also have a much lower rate of cannabis use than here. Hmmm.... coincidence?
If you want a guy to burn for our absurd teen-pregnancy rates, look at binge drinking in underprivileged white areas. Kids struggle enough to use protection when sober (but most of them DO manage), but after a few pints...

As for climate change and there being too many people, well of course they're linked. Thus the sort of rational, scientific person who believes in climate change will also acknowledge that there are too many people. Here's an idea: take a survey of said rational people and ask how many of them believe in creationism... There will also be a link and no, it won't be coincidence.

I don't think anybody mentioned taking lives to save lives. Quite the opposite, I think it is obscene to spend hundreds of thousands of lives (or the resources to save hundreds of thousands of lives) on one human life. Now THAT's more like eugenics, and it happens every single day.
The situation in Holland may not be quite as you have portrayed.....

http://www.famyouth.org.uk/press.php?pagename=DDUPR
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

J.R. wrote:
marty wrote:Was watching Alan Carr last night. He said that over half of under 16 year olds have had sex and also that over 60% were obese.

"Who's f***ing all the fat kids?"
Wasn't he brilliant ????
Absolutely, JR. I haven't laughed so much in ages!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Hendrik wrote:Holland has one of the lowest teenage pregnancy rates yet has one of the most liberal, comprehensive "this is how it's done" sex ed programs in the world. Whilst we're on Holland, they also have a much lower rate of cannabis use than here. Hmmm.... coincidence?
If you want a guy to burn for our absurd teen-pregnancy rates, look at binge drinking in underprivileged white areas. Kids struggle enough to use protection when sober (but most of them DO manage), but after a few pints...
The situation in Holland may not be quite as you have portrayed.....

http://www.famyouth.org.uk/press.php?pagename=DDUPR
That makes for very interesting reading. I've always felt that just teaching kids the reproductive requirements of fertilisation and development of embryos is only part of the whole. It's down to why people engage in high-risk behaviours, teenage/unprotected sex being one of them (add drug-taking, drinking, smoking, speeding, fighting etc to the list) and that stems from the values of our society - materialism, affirmation of self by external parties, over-consideration of self at the expense of the community and a chronic lack of emotional/spiritual understanding. I think it's a terrible time to be young and, speaking as a parent of a teenager, there is a constant necessity to keep drawing attention away from what others are doing and reiterating the need to dig deep to your own intrinsic values.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.