SPIDERS!!!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: SPIDERS!!!

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:And here's a bit of possibly NOT so useless information.

The only spider, resident on these Isles that can actually bite through human skin, is the English/British Bog/Marsh spider.

Quite large and generally only found in the wetlands of South East England. Apparently, quite docile and the bite is similar to a bee-sting.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!
Not quite:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090519/tuk ... dbed5.html

Not quite sure about the statements - Sky say that there are 12 which bite humans so I suppose that apart from your Bog/Marsh spider this new deadly one makes it at least two which can actually get through the epidermis. I see it is tiny - the size of a one penny coin, but able to do severe damage

Just don't come here from Aussie thinking you have left them behind!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I read the article published in yesterdays 'Daily Mail' regarding venemous spiders in UK, and contacted a friend/expert.

He feels that the majority of spiders mentioned in the article would NOT have the fang strength needed to pierce human skin.

Of course, there are the one or two 'imigrant' spiders, (thanks to todays transport links), that MIGHT be able to give a 'nasty-nip'
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

My uncle lives in South Africa and there they have some HUGE crawlers! The Baboon spider is the size of an adult hand and has enough venom to kill a baboon, so I heard.

He was bitten once very close to the "fish n tackle" and experience enormous swelling of the undercarriage. Not pleasant at all as he said he looked liek a bull with those swollon b*******!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Very sad story. So stamp on those things or keep clear!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

CHAZ wrote:Very sad story. So stamp on those things or keep clear!
Can I vote for stamping?
lonelymom :rolleyes:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Stamp if you will ! ----- but not on my territory !
My Greenhouse is remarkably clear of Whitefly, and I love the sight of an orb web glittering in the early morning dew !

I once ran back into the house to get my camera ---- took the photo -- and (Now being late ) rushed outside again, and received the web full in the face ! --- ah well ! :lol:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I agree with you there, Neill. Spiders webs are brilliant, so pretty, especially when they have morning dew on them. But I am absolutely terrified of spiders, really, really terrified :(
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Lonely Mom-----
It would appear that you have ARACHNOPHOBIA ----- Yes it is easy for anyone who does NOT suffer from a Phobia, of any sort, to be dismissive ----- "Pull yourself together !" attitude
Phobias are a clinical condition, which can really affect a person's lifestyle --- Eg Agrophobia, fear of open spaces.
Once, as a CAB Advisor, I had a "Client" with that condition, who would not see her GP, because of embarassment.
It took some time to convince her that it was no more embarassing than Migraine !
When you stamp --- I will look the other way and pretend I didn't notice ! ! :)
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Thanks :D What a thoughtful man you are! And I, in turn, will try to avoid stamping unless it is really unavoidable (ie, one is running across the floor in my house and if I don't stamp there and then it will hide. If I know there's a spider in a room I can't go in until it is removed :( )
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

I don't mean stamp all spiders as they also eat mosquitoes. But those big things that have enogh venom to kill a poor man from lancing need to be sorted, no?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Actually Neill, you just gave me an idea for a topic - phobias. I wonder what phobias other people have, and whether they are as irrational and diverse as mine. I am terrified of spiders, as we all know, but also all other insects. I am also frightened of birds. I am claustrophobic too, but also can't look into small spaces, ie, I can't look under the settee or kitchen units without feeling claustrophobic - but is that really another side of my claustrophobia, or has it got another name? And I can't look into dark spaces without panicking. I know, I'm beyond help aren't I? :(
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

The nearest thing I have to a phobia is an extreme aversion to a friend of mine from the UK who visits Thailand regularly.

And stays in my house.

He has a phobia about anything with no legs or more than four, anything that croaks,anything that defies gravity by walking up walls and anything that buzzes or makes any other unusual and unexpected noise at close quarters (I try to keep them 'silent but deadly' when he's here...). I may have left out a few, but I'm getting a cold sweat just thinking about it.

It's no fun when you're sitting having a quiet game of backgammon, and your partner suddenly leaps into the air and starts running around the garden flapping his arms and screaming blue murder.

I'm a nervous wreck by the time he goes home!

But he keeps coming back...

(Sorry, phobia sufferers, I'm not having a go at all of you, just this one in particular! :D )
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Ajarn Philip wrote: He has a phobia about anything with no legs or more than four, anything that croaks,anything that defies gravity by walking up walls and anything that buzzes or makes any other unusual and unexpected noise at close quarters (I try to keep them 'silent but deadly' when he's here...). I may have left out a few, but I'm getting a cold sweat just thinking about it.

It's no fun when you're sitting having a quiet game of backgammon, and your partner suddenly leaps into the air and starts running around the garden flapping his arms and screaming blue murder.
Philip, that sounds just like me :cry:
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Possibly, but you couldn't possibly make me a nervous wreck. And I wouldn't fart at all if I were playing backgommon with you... :oops: