Summer 2009 'Old Blue'

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: Summer 2009 'Old Blue'

Post by Vonny »

wurzel wrote:top left piccy is the 20 year reunion I was at and there isn't even a write up in the mag.
I was surprised at that too - not that I attended but it was my year group.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I thought a while before I replied to this, since the magazine is my responsibility and I was the one who took the decision not to include names. I realise that this runs against all journalistic practice etc, but I had my reasons.
When I was putting together the magazine I wanted to put the group photo of Old Blues Day on the cover. Those who were there knew it was taken, we were in it, but so far I can only trace one person who had a copy, and who was not on holiday when the magazine was being put together. He dug it out, the people in the Counting House scanned it and it was ready to be used.
Except, that it is a long thin photo, and there is no way it can go alone on the cover. We thought of wrapping it round back and front, but that also has its problems.
In addition to Old Blues Day, there had been 2 year group reunions, both with photos on the web, but no write ups. I decided that it would make a good cover to show the smaller year groups and the Old Blues Day photos on the same cover, showing that it is not only Old Blues over the age of 60 who go along to these events, and maybe encouraging other generations to go along as well.
I realised that I had no names, but there was no way I was going to get all the names for the Old Blues Day photo, and it would be difficult to get those for the year groups. Those who were there knew who they were, those who weren't there could have looked at the lists of those going and probably put names to faces. I know, since a few years ago, despite being on the CHA Board, I was not even invited to my own 40 years on, but still managed to recognise all of my contemporaries when I came to print the photo.
I haven't spoken to the office but know from past chats with Wendy that getting a reasonable number along to a year group reunion is very hard work. Obviously there is a lot of work for Old Blues Day but comparing the 300 on Old Blues Day to 20 for a year group, the work involved in Old Blues Day is nowhere near 15 times that for a year group.
And on top of that, I can normally get someone out of 300 to give a comment or say something, or I am there, but getting someone from a year group to do something is much more difficult.
Please also bear in mind that this year the CHA manager resigned, Wendy retired and we have only recently welcomed Margaret Wadham on board, so office staff were overloaded. There was no one in the CHA office as we put together the magazine but people from the Counting House helped out.
So decision taken and I run with it.
Before you say, “But you should have planned for this and got all your ducks in order in advance”, there is very little planning for the magazine, we run with what we get and try to make the best of it. Some interviews are requested in advance but that is a rarity. We can look at it for the future now that we have a new person in the office, but she is only one person.
I also hear you say that I should have held up the publication until I had all of the names, but then you might still be waiting and I needed to get the sheet about Founders Day delivered asap.
The people who work on the magazine, Jo Sidebottom who looks after the Obits and Matthew Powell, who does Creative and Updates, do a fabulous job, as does Caron Garrod when we send material to her for proof reading, but it is a small team. We do the best we can, sometimes we trip up but hopefully these mistakes do not detract from the overall usefulness of the magazine.

As I said at the beginning, my responsibility and the Buck stops here.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think those are very minor gripes for a very professional looking job.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Well said Mary. Why don't those who find things to criticise join your team, John, and help out? And no-one should ever forget that apart from the now one salaried administrator, those who are involved with the CHA/The Old Blue etc. are all volunteers, giving of their time and talents freely in the service of the Old Blue community.
I thought it was a great magazine, John, and thank you for that.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I didn't mean my comment as a critisism at all. I fully appreciate the time and work that goes in to producing the Old Blue and always look forward to receiving my copy.
Jo wrote:
I too was struck by John Ddungu, and by Damian Scanlan, and a number of others who have died very prematurely.
Me too, in particular Damian as he was in my year.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

John I agree with the above. My John edits the Ffestiniog Railway Society Magazine, 64 or 72 pages A5 quarterly and I know only too well just how much hard work goes into it.

I am constantly surprised how much I find of interest in the Old Blue - not just the names I remember but the very interesting people the school had produced over the years.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

J Hopgood says: "Please also bear in mind that this year the CHA manager resigned.."
But, like Old Blues' Day, that has become an annual event - Sara, Zoe, Michelle, one year each!
:shock:
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

I feel like I'm missing something...should I have had a copy? Maybe it just takes longer overseas....
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

If you can't wait for it to battle through the postal strike you can download it here.

http://www.chassociation.org/news/magazines/index.php
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

mvgrogan wrote:I feel like I'm missing something...should I have had a copy? Maybe it just takes longer overseas....

My copies usually arrive as people start posting about the subsequent edition. It can be a little like reading magazines in the doctor's surgery and getting all excited about the prospect of Brad and Jen being back together again .

xx
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

mvgrogan wrote:I feel like I'm missing something...should I have had a copy? Maybe it just takes longer overseas....
Don't worry, I edited it and haven't seen the printed copy. I sign off on the pdf that goes to the printers.
Maybe we should get it put up on the CHA website as soon as the printers start to distribute it.
We could even think of reducing costs by asking OB's whether they want a hard copy or are happy with the pdf.
Personally I find them good as browsing material for idle moments, when the laptop is uncomfortable.
I have heard of people who read and dump (no, not they way you are thinking), which makes it an expensive magazine to be consigned to the recycling bin. We have work to do in the distribution area.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Certainly the pdf was there when I got my copy. I would be quite happy with an electronic copy, I must admit it does go for recyling within the week. I wouldn't be able to move in my house if I kept everything like that.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

John Ddungu ---- I believe my wife sat next to him at the last Founder's Dinner at CH, and was totally enamoured of this intelligent, courteous, and charming, young man.
On her other side, was an Admiral --- whom,I regret to report, received less attention !
If he is a distinguished Member of this Forum, I apologise --- but he was up against a great competition !
A sad loss of John, such a promising chap .

I doubt that there would be many at a "70 year on" Reunion, but it was nice during Lunch in Big School to have tables labelled with Year Groups ---- some of us in the more elderly groups were, I believe, rather smug, at having survived !
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Once again, an excellent read - thank you!

I was upset to hear about the death of Carl Blakey, a name I remember vaguely - he was on my sister's year and would have left in 2001.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Well said Mary. Why don't those who find things to criticise join your team, John, and help out? And no-one should ever forget that apart from the now one salaried administrator, those who are involved with the CHA/The Old Blue etc. are all volunteers, giving of their time and talents freely in the service of the Old Blue community.
I thought it was a great magazine, John, and thank you for that.

Hear Hear, Kerren.............

(or for the pedantic.... Here Here !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.