Old Holborn versus Golden Virginia Red Green or Blue Rizlas

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

Great Plum wrote:I feel like I've missed out loooking at this thread...

I've never smoked...
Me neither, but I remember having to watch out for smokers searching music cases for Rizlas, as we used them (still do) for drying out key pads.
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

eloisec wrote:
Great Plum wrote:I feel like I've missed out loooking at this thread...

I've never smoked...
Me neither, but I remember having to watch out for smokers searching music cases for Rizlas, as we used them (still do) for drying out key pads.
I know, I had to hide my rizlas...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

I ended up getting the massive Rizlas used for spliffs ... mind you that probably didn't look too good when our cases got searched (once to my knowledge, but probably more!)
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
bap
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by bap »

During the party in Big School to celebrate the success of the play Indians [74?] someone gave me a "joint" that consisted of equal parts old holborn, snuff and crushed-up josticks - excellent!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

bap wrote:During the party in Big School to celebrate the success of the play Indians [74?] someone gave me a "joint" that consisted of equal parts old holborn, snuff and crushed-up josticks - excellent!
Blimey, I can just about remember watching that play. Was this the production which featured 'howler monkeys'?

A very DNP idea - turn the whole thing into a 'cast-of-thousands' extravaganza by filling the stage with lots of kids who didn't have very much to do........
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
bap
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by bap »

Not howler monkeys, red indians / indian americans who DNP encouraged to wander round the audience [or even sit on the audience] calling "Codey, Codey" - refering to William Cody aka Buffalo Bill, played at the time by Julian Garner if memory serves.
efsis
3rd Former

Post by efsis »

Ah yes I remember that..riding around the ring on a " horse "

As for Julian Garner he has made quite a name for himself here in Scandinavia ( among those who go to plays ) he has done well in Norway and then moved to Finland..not sure if he is still there or has moved back to England.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Jeeves wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:Anyone ever use snuff?

There was a time when it was quite popular at C.H. Horsham (the shop in Middle Street had a fine selection).

It was only a passing fad, though.....
Snuff was a "passing fad" in ThB on my UF. Quite a discreet way of consuming tobacco, but not recommended as the tobacco particles are miniscule. I remember an occasion where a friend panicked while taking snuff and inhaled far too much - the results were not pleasant and put me off taking snuff again. The Horsham tobacconist also had a good variety of flavoured tobaccos, "cherry brandy" was pleasant but cut too thick.

My combo was drum and green rizla.
yeah, the fad was my fault. the idiot who inhaled half a box by mistake is not going to be named (jeeves, if you do i'll kill you). menthol snuff the best

as for tobacco, drum was good and rizla green was the one. now i use rizla silvers as they've brought out a cigarette sized version, and i can roll with thin papers (never could when i started). i prefer filters when 'ive got them. remember everyone being amazed with my rolling machine and what it produced ('wow, it's.... straight!')
did anyone else ever have a 'concept' machine?

malboro rolling tobacco was a real treat, i bought shed loads in germany on my grecian's study visit. samson mild is also a goodun, recommended to any who smokes rollies. i often went to burkitt's in horsham to get the flavoured stuff, it was even cheaper than normal stuff, bonus! coconut, cherry brandy and black cherry were my faves.
for some reason GV always seemed to be what the girls smoked (no idea why)

but yes, amber leaf was often a favourite for economical reasons...
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

eloisec wrote:Me neither, but I remember having to watch out for smokers searching music cases for Rizlas
:oops:

i never did it often, and unlike other smokers, i would just take one sheet and not the whole pack.
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

Hendrik wrote:
Jeeves wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:Anyone ever use snuff?

There was a time when it was quite popular at C.H. Horsham (the shop in Middle Street had a fine selection).

It was only a passing fad, though.....
Snuff was a "passing fad" in ThB on my UF. Quite a discreet way of consuming tobacco, but not recommended as the tobacco particles are miniscule. I remember an occasion where a friend panicked while taking snuff and inhaled far too much - the results were not pleasant and put me off taking snuff again. The Horsham tobacconist also had a good variety of flavoured tobaccos, "cherry brandy" was pleasant but cut too thick.

My combo was drum and green rizla.
yeah, the fad was my fault. the idiot who inhaled half a box by mistake is not going to be named (jeeves, if you do i'll kill you). menthol snuff the best

as for tobacco, drum was good and rizla green was the one. now i use rizla silvers as they've brought out a cigarette sized version, and i can roll with thin papers (never could when i started). i prefer filters when 'ive got them. remember everyone being amazed with my rolling machine and what it produced ('wow, it's.... straight!')
did anyone else ever have a 'concept' machine?

malboro rolling tobacco was a real treat, i bought shed loads in germany on my grecian's study visit. samson mild is also a goodun, recommended to any who smokes rollies. i often went to burkitt's in horsham to get the flavoured stuff, it was even cheaper than normal stuff, bonus! coconut, cherry brandy and black cherry were my faves.
for some reason GV always seemed to be what the girls smoked (no idea why)

but yes, amber leaf was often a favourite for economical reasons...
The person that inhaled half a box is not an idiot. It was obviously a quick manoeuvre to hide the snuff. I will not reveal the identity of the snuff-meister, however you will know who he is if you happened to be passing by on the Grecians path at the time (for you may have been covered in wet tobacco particles).

I remember having to keep a close eye on my music cases, not because I hid Rizlas in them, but because I had part of my instrument stolen! Wonder what happened to that clarinet barrel?
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Jeeves wrote:The person that inhaled half a box is not an idiot. It was obviously a quick manoeuvre to hide the snuff.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember having to keep a close eye on my music cases, not because I hid Rizlas in them, but because I had part of my instrument stolen! Wonder what happened to that clarinet barrel?
possibly used for smoking something else? :wink:
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

Hendrik wrote:
possibly used for smoking something else? :wink:
Was it you Hendrik?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

I'm surprised anyone could get at your instrument cases.

I was in the Music School last week (for a meeting). EVERYTHING seemed to have a combination lock attached.

Needs, must, I suppose, but we used to leave everything unlocked, and I don't recall anything getting nicked (well, perhaps the odd squeeze of trombone slide cream....).
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Never used to be locked when I was there either - but things have changed in the last 5 years...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Another vote for Old Holborn and green rizlas, but sometimes I used Guards, and if I wanted to show off there was Sobranie Cocktails or if you really wanted to show how macho you were Capstan Full Strength.

Did anyone ever make fags up from previously smoked dog-ends?