Donation Governorship

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:I was not presented or anything.

My parents were means tested and I got in purely on the exam - I seem to remember I had to do more papers than other people.

when i got in, the top three boys and the top three girls in the entrance exam were made "Leverhulme scholars". This was me (and 5 others, obviously). We were presented with a big dictionary each and had our photo taken.

To this day neither I nor my parents found out what it meant. I would love to know if anyone has any information.

I think Mary-Anne Ashmore (LH?) was in the picture but my mother lost it on my LE during a house move...
Tim Postlethwaite was one of these people I think - he used to hve to see Mr Kirby every year or term iirc...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

I used to dread OB day because it meant having to show my benefactor around the school. Like he didn't already know his way around. He would always get me to take him to every classroom I sat it and he would then sit where I sat.

Still he paid 75% of my fees, mum paid the other 25% for two years and the officers' association paid them the rest of the time
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I was the President's nominee (don't know why that made a difference) and didn't do a French paper but did do some calculus on the Maths paper. I then didn't do it again until I did O' level maths.

And I sat next to Alex Thrift who hasn't changed much since that lovely warm March day in 1965.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

God your right EA! I was specially coached in calculus because I had never heard of it before, then I didn't see it again till "O" levels. I had forgotten all about that
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

Great Plum wrote:
Ruthie-Baby wrote:I was not presented or anything.

My parents were means tested and I got in purely on the exam - I seem to remember I had to do more papers than other people.

when i got in, the top three boys and the top three girls in the entrance exam were made "Leverhulme scholars". This was me (and 5 others, obviously). We were presented with a big dictionary each and had our photo taken.

To this day neither I nor my parents found out what it meant. I would love to know if anyone has any information.

I think Mary-Anne Ashmore (LH?) was in the picture but my mother lost it on my LE during a house move...
Tim Postlethwaite was one of these people I think - he used to hve to see Mr Kirby every year or term iirc...
i didn't have to see Mr Kirby - shame, he gave out cash to his official visitors

any news of the lovely Tim BTW?
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

If I had known I wouldn't need calculus for years, I wouldn't have put so much work in before the exam, I thought I would be using it as soon as I got to CH
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

ha!

it's probably not even in A-level now!

I learnt permutations and combinations at junior school and that's above GCSE now...
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Spelling seems to be above GCSE judging by what my 14 year old daughter is bringing home every day from school
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

yup
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

It is so degrading for the kids working their hearts out and we parents look at the results and say we did that when we were ten years old
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

worry about that when it happens

i forget you lot are parents

scary!
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

An hour or so of fun and then years of oh my god don't let that grow up to be like me
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

:offtopic: but the last I hear is that Tim P is doing very well - I get updates from his sister on occasion...
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

I have a funny feeling this topic has run it's course and the thread may need locking after we have someone post a definitive post about donation governors
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Don't really need to lock topics - they will just run their course and 'fall of the bottom'...