Carol Concert 2009

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Carol Concert 2009

Post by englishangel »

The first year I went was after the end of term, and I would not have called the two young men who stood behind me and gave passable impressions of Bryn Terfel, children.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Fjgrogan wrote:Do we need to get tickets in advance or can we just pay on the door? Things are a bit volatile here at the moment, and we may need to decide at the last moment. Maria flies in the night before and will be staying in Kent with Kirri - plans beyond that are still a bit fuzzy but we would like to be there if it is at all possible.
Oh, I do hope you can come, Frances. It would be lovely to meet you all!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

kerrensimmonds wrote:The 'Blue' reader ..I think two years ago ... was the OG Presentee, Georgia (named Governor Miss Tucker), done on behalf of her mum (Hertford OB Caron) who had broken her ankle and was not able to get there.
Whether there will be children in uniform giving out programmes etc. this year remains to be seen. Term will have ended.
Thank you Kerren, I knew there was something about an injury, but couldn't remember the details.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Given that Caron is a fairly distinctive spelling of the name, would that be Caron Scott (as was)?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

No, sorry Frances!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Fjgrogan wrote:Given that Caron is a fairly distinctive spelling of the name, would that be Caron Scott (as was)?
It's Caron Haskell/Garrod, but I can't remember which is her maiden name and which is her married name. She was a few years below me at Hertford.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Can anyone advise me what would be the most straightforward way to get to the church from Waterloo? I prefer not to use taxis. Many many years ago there used to be a Red Arrow bus that went straight to St Sepulchre's, and apparently St Andrew's is 'just round the corner', but I have no idea whether that bus still exists. Or alternatively from Victoria? I am still hoping that I can persuade Maria to come along, but much will depend on how young Xander feels about being abandoned by Mummy on his first evening in England. They will have been travelling all the previous day and going straight to Auntie Tigger's (aka Kirri) near Rochester, whom (pedants, please note!) Xander will not remember having met before. Of course Daddy will still be there - he is not into carol singing! I think that Hanna might find it an adventure to travel on an English train to the City of London and meet all these strange people that Mummy and Grandma know only through the computer, but of course Mummy might appreciate a childfree evening - or just an early night!! Anyway I am hoping to be there if I can get my head round TfL.

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Fjgrogan wrote:Can anyone advise me what would be the most straightforward way to get to the church from Waterloo? I prefer not to use taxis. Many many years ago there used to be a Red Arrow bus that went straight to St Sepulchre's, and apparently St Andrew's is 'just round the corner', but I have no idea whether that bus still exists. Or alternatively from Victoria? I am still hoping that I can persuade Maria to come along, but much will depend on how young Xander feels about being abandoned by Mummy on his first evening in England. They will have been travelling all the previous day and going straight to Auntie Tigger's (aka Kirri) near Rochester, whom (pedants, please note!) Xander will not remember having met before. Of course Daddy will still be there - he is not into carol singing! I think that Hanna might find it an adventure to travel on an English train to the City of London and meet all these strange people that Mummy and Grandma know only through the computer, but of course Mummy might appreciate a childfree evening - or just an early night!! Anyway I am hoping to be there if I can get my head round TfL.
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/X ... P_REQUEST2

According to this you take the 341 bus from stop F at Waterlooand get off at Holborn Circus/Fetter Lane and then walk.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Thank you for the information - fortunately you provided the vital bit at the end because my computer for some reason refuses to link to the website. 341 bus it is then, and thank God for the Freedom Pass!

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Does anyone know of any good pubs around for after? I haven't yet heard of any YOB event...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

It's a bit of a distance but when I met Josh last week and told him about the original Counting House in Great Tower Street (now the 'Hung Drawn and Quartered' pub, I believe - still with the CH crest stained glass windows) he expressed great enthusiasm about going there after the Carol Concert , because he had never known that the Counting House had even been in London and had only ever known it in Horsham though he thought there was something funny about the building being newer than the others! (HELLO.. yes, I went to Great Tower Street for my interview etc. in 1957). But, as I said, this is quite a distance from Holborn/St. Andrews.

Matt.. it needs someone (?you?) to find somewhere and to publicise it, drawing people to the venue........
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Great Plum wrote:Does anyone know of any good pubs around for after? I haven't yet heard of any YOB event...
Would you be able to organise/advertise/pull-together a YOBs event on behalf of the CHOBA?

The CHOBA is a VERY small organisation with very limited time/resources, with one (very over-worked!) administrator, and a volunteer board all of which have full-time jobs/responsibilities of one sort or another - so we do rely on volunteers to pull stuff together, and if anyone has offers of help to pull sections/events together, do give Margaret in the CHOBA Office a shout...

JT
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I can have a go but I'm not too familiar with the area...
I'll ask on Facebook!

That sounds like a great idea for a pub Kerren but it's nearly 3km from the church which is probably a bit far!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Chris isn't bad on London pubs. He's just gone to get his good beer guide - but will make sure he filters out any sleazy old fleapits, however good their beer is :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Nearest good beer guide pubs are probably not close enough. But, thanks to Google Street View, I've "walked" around a bit and there seem to be a couple of options further south on Shoe Street - a Youngs pub called the City Retreat, and a more upmarket wine bar called The Last next door to it. The latter seems to be in a modern shopping mall, and may possibly not stay open late. But the City Retreat seems quite well reviewed as a genuine, good value pub.

Chris has selflessly volunteered to take a trip over there (he works in Mile End) one lunchtime early next week, and will report back :D

However, if anyone else already knows the area and has any other suggestions, no problem at all.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75