Snow

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Re: Snow

Post by LongGone »

Ho hum! Living in New England we consider anything below the knee as a 'dusting'. For surefire travel our Subaru has never been stuck. Luckily we really do live by Mark Twain's (local boy) dictum 'in New England, if you don't like the weather, wait a minute'
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Just driven across Ireland which is extremely cold, has snow on most roads and Irish drivers who are unlikely to travel above 45kph. Dual carriageways are few and far between so it took some time before we got to the port in Dublin. Very Icy.
Then spent the night in Holyhead, no snow before stopping in Holywell. Most roads were passable but don't try the side streets of parking on the side of the road. I had to roll back down the hill before I could get any grip.
Then down to Chesham.
All the motorways are fine, most of the A roads are fine and the B roads that I was on were passable.
Drove up the hill to my brother's road, to find that it has not been cleared and where he leaves his cars in front of the house is under 4 inches of snow, slightly more than when we left on December 21st. His cars are under snow, as will be mine, if I can't get it out tomorrow.
I have the chains, but the likelihood of me putting them on successfully is slight.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Chesham's a b*gger for traffic whatever the weather. Main town in a valley with one two lane road running through, and all the residential areas up quite steep hills all around.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Vonny wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:We, in Dorset, have been particularly smug, about the absence of Snow.
Right up until this Afternoon ---- :oops:
Yes but even then it didn't settle at all here - I think we must be the only place in the country with NO snow!
Here in Bournemouth we had a few of inches of snow yesterday, only enough tho to build a small snowman. Today very icy pavements and some snow still lying. Daughter gone to Poole college today as usual. A friend in Hamworthy, a few miles down the road from here, said they had only a dusting.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

The kids were due back at CH on Sunday, but it's closed till 6pm now on Tuesday. So an extra two days with my girls :D
lonelymom :rolleyes:
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

lonelymom wrote:The kids were due back at CH on Sunday, but it's closed till 6pm now on Tuesday. So an extra two days with my girls :D
How lovely for you!

Neill The N or JR, how's it looking your way? I'm supposed to be up in Holmbury St Mary on Saturday, at the top of the hill on Woodhouse Lane!! Am thinking it's not very likely! :lol:
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

LongGone wrote:Ho hum! Living in New England we consider anything below the knee as a 'dusting'. For surefire travel our Subaru has never been stuck. Luckily we really do live by Mark Twain's (local boy) dictum 'in New England, if you don't like the weather, wait a minute'
Just seen on TV a news crew trying to get to a farm in Scotland in a Range Rover (which is 4WD) on apparently level ground; they got stuck when the snow got up to the bottom of the front bumper.

They don't make 'em like they used to; I remember helping to deliver the milk in a Land Rover when the drifts were over the top of it; took a few runs at the drifts but we eventually got through. (We had to continuously remove the snow buildup on thwe canvas roof!). That was South Devon mid 1950's
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

It HAS now !!
about 3 inches overnight, which has now frozen, so I am "Hermiting" in Corfe Mullen

TBA, has, of course, gone for a walk over the Heath ! :roll: :roll:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

gma wrote:
How lovely for you!

Neill The N or JR, how's it looking your way? I'm supposed to be up in Holmbury St Mary on Saturday, at the top of the hill on Woodhouse Lane!! Am thinking it's not very likely! :lol:

.... about as likely as getting sh1t from a rocking-horse !

Our estate is between North Holmwood and Dorking. Not far from a foot of snow.

No buses- Corner shop shut - No Bread or potatoes.

NO GRITTING......

and to cap it all, I went over on black-ice yesterday evening and am now totally housebound nursing a badly bruised, swollen and locked left knee.

Incidently, a friend of ours is the the Holbury/Abinger Common postman and they haven't had a delivery/collection since this second snow-fall.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

englishangel wrote:Chesham's a b*gger for traffic whatever the weather. Main town in a valley with one two lane road running through, and all the residential areas up quite steep hills all around.
I got up and down Chartridge with only one problem when an Elderly B*****R insisted on walking on the road and signaled that I should move over to the right. I stopped so that he could walk past and he deliberately tried to knock my side mirror off the car. Queer folk in Chesham.
Going up White Hill was nearly impossible as I kept sliding across the road into the traffic coming down, but coming down was easier.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

jhopgood wrote: Queer folk in Chesham.
Definitely. My partner's nephew lives there. (I'm assuming that you're using the official meaning of "queer", not the slang one - I don't want to be accused of libelling him!)
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

anniexf wrote:
jhopgood wrote: Queer folk in Chesham.
Definitely. My partner's nephew lives there. (I'm assuming that you're using the official meaning of "queer", not the slang one - I don't want to be accused of libelling him!)
Shouldn't worry, my brother, sister-in-law and niece, sister and nephew, as well as my mother, live in Chesham, so I feel entitled to call Chesham folk "Queer", in the official sense.
Another example was that as we were trying to get my car on to the road, it got stuck on the ice. My wife, sister-in-law and niece were pushing, but neither the postman nor a man with a dog offered to help, and we were only saved when my niece's boyfriend arrived.
And before you ask, neither my wife nor my niece drive, and my sister-in-law insisted that she was better at pushing than driving, otherwise I would have pushed.
I must remember, not all Chesham folk are "queer", maybe they just come out with the snow.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

We were tickled pink today, to be, for the first time the recipients of the "look out for your elderly neighbours" advertising. the neighbours fromeach side called in to see if we needed anything. Lovely!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

fra828 wrote:
Vonny wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:We, in Dorset, have been particularly smug, about the absence of Snow.
Right up until this Afternoon ---- :oops:
Yes but even then it didn't settle at all here - I think we must be the only place in the country with NO snow!
Here in Bournemouth we had a few of inches of snow yesterday, only enough tho to build a small snowman. Today very icy pavements and some snow still lying. Daughter gone to Poole college today as usual. A friend in Hamworthy, a few miles down the road from here, said they had only a dusting.
Was very cold this morning (-3 according to the car, which I know is warm compared to other parts of the country :D ) - have spotted a few bits of snow up on the hills but apart from that nothing! The kids are not happy - more snow forecast for the weekend so will wait & see!

Hope you are OK JR :)
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Our club physio's telephone diagnosis and recommendation was good.

I had a very hot bath last night, then applied the good old pack of frozen peas, then applied something similar to Deep Heat before bed, and I actually made it down to the Doctors surgery this morning for dressing-changes.

AND................

..........our corner shop has opened this morning for the first time since the current snowfall. Mind you, they've got bu**er all in. Buses are now running, though by-passing our estate, so it's a walk to the nearest working bus-stop, then a trip to Dorking this afternoon.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.