SPIDERS!!!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: SPIDERS!!!

Post by lonelymom »

mvgrogan wrote: Of course, we don't get anything creepy crawly here in Finland - they'd all get killed off over the winter!Spiders are generally small or spindly and nothing as exotic as a scorpion ('cept me! :lol: )
See you soon! I'm moving to Finland!!!!!!! :D
lonelymom :rolleyes:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

This thread has obviously struck a chord
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote:This thread has obviously struck a chord
B(e/e) flat? :lol:

xx
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

lonelymom wrote:
mvgrogan wrote: Of course, we don't get anything creepy crawly here in Finland - they'd all get killed off over the winter!Spiders are generally small or spindly and nothing as exotic as a scorpion ('cept me! :lol: )
Wait for me, im coming too!!!

Has anyone else noticed that just recently as it all got a bit hotter the spiders have all appeared and are HUGE!!! Sunday morning as going round house, there were spiders in every room of the house...i dont know where they come from. To make it worse yesterday morning I got up, went into spare room and saw 4 little black things on floor -i thought it was thread of some of the washing hanging up in the airer....NO on closer inspection is was 4 legs of a spider, now I dont know what happened to the rest of the spider...it either got eaten by my cat who was sheephishly sat in the corner and she just didnt fancy the last 4 or she played with the spider, it got away but with only 4 legs!!!! Im not sure which is worse?
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I seem to be becoming the Defence Counsel for Bugs ! :soapbox:

Why Wasps ?

They fertilise flowers and vegetables and fruit --- just as much as bees do.
With the current declinein the bee population, (Due to an infestation of Mites -- can't think of a defence !) we may have, in the not-so-distant Future, to rely on other creatures doing the "Sex Bit"------- or we shall all starve !

My Mother told me about the Birds and the Bees ----- and I "Went Steady" with a Moth for a month ! :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:
Why Wasps ?

They fertilise flowers and vegetables and fruit --- just as much as bees do.
They also feed on nasty little bugs that gardeners DON'T like !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

lonelymom wrote:
Just like the fly you are caught in her web

:mrssanta:
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

OK, forum readers, I must tell you that the really funny thing about Maria's post above (not panicking for Hanna's benefit etc) is that Hanna is absolutely fascinated by 'bugs' of any species and probably totally unbothered by wasps in the house. Incidentally I noticed that there were definitely ladybirds in Finland (Hanna and I examined several) - how is it that they manage to survive the winter?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

blondie95 wrote:
lonelymom wrote:
Wait for me, im coming too!!!
I'm packed. Are you ready? We've got a plane to catch! :D
Fjgrogan wrote: Incidentally I noticed that there were definitely ladybirds in Finland (Hanna and I examined several) - how is it that they manage to survive the winter?
I don't like ladybirds. I'm unpacking... :(
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

But, I need to share with you something I did yesterday! In our pond we have some very large fish. Well, I was telling my sister how tame a few of them are, and how one in particular lets you stroke it, and WITHOUT EVEN THINKING I reached out and stroked it! I couldn't quite believe what I'd done!!! It felt horrible though, sort of hard and slimy, so I won't be doing it again :?
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

lonelymom wrote:But, I need to share with you something I did yesterday! In our pond we have some very large fish. Well, I was telling my sister how tame a few of them are, and how one in particular lets you stroke it, and WITHOUT EVEN THINKING I reached out and stroked it! I couldn't quite believe what I'd done!!! It felt horrible though, sort of hard and slimy, so I won't be doing it again :?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Picture the scene ......... it is 2.10 am on a hot night, so the windows are all open. I am wide awake, so I decide to read for a while. Out of the corner of my eye I notice something dark moving against the white ceiling at the far end of the room. Given that I am not wearing my glasses and I am very short-sighted, it has to be something large if I can see it at that distance. I reach for my glasses and discover an enormous black spider heading fast in my direction - I kid you not, it was half the size of a tarantula! Husband is, of course, dead to the world and not likely to wake up any time soon. I know there is a broom on the landing. Now I need a container with a lid to catch it in, but it is certainly not going to fit into the average jamjar (of which there is a boxful also on the landing awaiting disposal). I remember that on the draining board downstairs is an empty ice-cream container with a clip-on lid, but what if while I am going down to fetch it the spider moves and disappears into one of the many 'piles' on my bedroom floor? I would never dare sleep again, knowing that it was there somewhere but not knowing where. At the moment it seems to be stationary, so I take a chance, run downstairs and up again (I haven't done that in years!) and it is still there. I can't hold the ice-cream box close enough to ensure that when I knock it with the broom it actually falls into the box, so I brush it deliberately onto the landing floor, and then drop the box on top of it. I swear when I try to clip the lid on the spider was pushing back! For a moment I was tempted to leave it trapped in the box overnight to prove its existence to my husband next morning, but knowing my luck I would open the box next day to find that it had disappeared. Mad dash through the bathroom, shake box out of the window, check that it is empty and the spider is running off across the low roof below, slam the window, and every other open window I can find. Given the size of the spider, I did wonder briefly if it was some rare species that I should have preserved and identified, but very briefly! What I need now is coffee, and I think I have earned chocolate, lots of it! So back downstairs being sure to switch on lights everywhere. Finally back to bed and the book. Husband of course is still totally oblivious of the whole procedure!

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

An afterthought! Why did it never for one single moment occur to me to kill it? Well, I was barefooted at the time, but even if I had had shoes on, it would have made an awfully loud crunch - I don't think I could have lived with that!

Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

You're much braver than me! If I do ever manage to actually trap a spider in a container the whole lot would go out of the window, container included!!! I find a hoover works quite well, although not very good for throwing out of the window! :lol:
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

In a terraced house with thin walls, and a noisy hoover, I would probably have woken half the neighbours, everyone except my husband!! Good thought though - I shall bear it in mind next time I meet a spider in daylight. One problem - how do you ensure that the spider doesn't crawl back out of the hoover later?