Seriously Non-PC Terminology at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Thanks!

I know, they do seem very late...

our courgettes are going mad though!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Girlie as in 'intouch with your emotions, pink, Barbie,' all that stuff, perhaps I will give it a go, I enjoyed 'Driving Miss Daisy'.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Mrs C. wrote:Put them in a brown paper bag with a banana
Put them in a cool drawer
Leave them on the plant - if one begins to ripen, leave it as it gives off some chemical that`s supposed to help ripen the rest!

My tomatoes are only just beginning to ripen - normally they`ve all been eaten by now and plant discarded- all seem to be very late this year.
Mine are sitting on the window cill with banana's - the others I have left on the "tree" - this tomato plant is taking over the garden - is totally organic as I have done nothing except water it with Sarah's shower water (see previous thread on how to save h2o) it is still prodicing flowers, I do interfer a bit an nip out the additional shoots, but I have to say it is the biggest tomato plant I have ever seen, and I used to pick tomatoes whn I was a teen and have seen some pretty big tomato plants! It grew all itself - proving that ones own composting dosn't just mean good and healthy plants - but that other plants re groath from nothing!

I will leav the others on the "tree" until it gets too late (they are quite big in themselves - think of Trashco's finets Beef tomatoes and you have the average size of my tomatoes!)
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Jude wrote:Mine are sitting on the window cill with banana's...
Here in the Great Southern Land (aka Paradise) most can't afford bananas at the moment (anything up to $15/kg, when they usually average less than $4, even for frog-friendly ones) - last year's crop got wiped out by a storm, and the Banana Benders (Queenslanders) have been able to convince the Powers That Be that no imports should be allowed.

I haven't had any trouble ripening tomatoes since leaving UK, but my Mum just used to leave them on the sill of a south-facing window, sans bananas.

Hope you enjoy the film Mary - I did: but I also enjoyed Steel Magnolias, particularly for the line from Shirley Maclean's character, which is something along the lines of 'I'm not mad. I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years'. Hooray for Grumpy Old Women :lol:
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I have been in a discussion on banana prices in OZ on a craft forum I belong to, it came as quite a surprise to me.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I did see Steel Magnolias when it first came out, and although I enjoyed it, it is not my type of film.

One of James's (#1son) internet friends in US said 'your Mom' (i.e. me) would enjoy 'Little Miss Sunshine" which is about to open here.

Having seen the trailers on TV, I cannot think of anything worse.

'Matilda' I liked, but bratty kids, no thanks, I have one of my own.

Give me a good SF film or an Eddie Murphy comedy ('Coming to America ' springs to mind).

We also have all the LOTR Special Editions.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Jude wrote:
Mrs C. wrote:Put them in a brown paper bag with a banana
Put them in a cool drawer
Leave them on the plant - if one begins to ripen, leave it as it gives off some chemical that`s supposed to help ripen the rest!

My tomatoes are only just beginning to ripen - normally they`ve all been eaten by now and plant discarded- all seem to be very late this year.
Mine are sitting on the window cill with banana's - the others I have left on the "tree" - this tomato plant is taking over the garden - is totally organic as I have done nothing except water it with Sarah's shower water (see previous thread on how to save h2o) it is still prodicing flowers, I do interfer a bit an nip out the additional shoots, but I have to say it is the biggest tomato plant I have ever seen, and I used to pick tomatoes whn I was a teen and have seen some pretty big tomato plants! It grew all itself - proving that ones own composting dosn't just mean good and healthy plants - but that other plants re groath from nothing!

I will leave the others on the "tree" until it gets too late (they are quite big in themselves - think of Trashco's finets Beef tomatoes and you have the average size of my tomatoes!)
Wrap them warmly in y-fronts and place near an unlit candle is what my old granny used to say. She did not specify whether they had to be washed or not .....
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

englishangel wrote:'Matilda' I liked, but bratty kids, no thanks, I have one of my own.

Only one? Half your luck :lol: .

Give me a good SF film or an Eddie Murphy comedy ('Coming to America ' springs to mind).

I enjoyed Men In Black once it got to the bit about mini discs, and one of the characters commented that he would have to buy yet another version of The White Album. Until last week I only had a vinyl edition (numbered), but a friend's partner has now burnt it to CD for me.

What did you think of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe? We generally enjoyed it, but were concerned to see female centaurs, and that polar bears were on the side of The White Witch.
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
englishangel wrote:'Matilda' I liked, but bratty kids, no thanks, I have one of my own.

Only one? Half your luck :lol: .

I enjoyed Men In Black once it got to the bit about mini discs, and one of the characters commented that he would have to buy yet another version of The White Album. Until last week I only had a vinyl edition (numbered), but a friend's partner has now burnt it to CD for me.

What did you think of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe? We generally enjoyed it, but were concerned to see female centaurs, and that polar bears were on the side of The White Witch.
We quite enjoyed it, and of course there are female centaurs, where would you get the next generation from, didn't they teach you anything in school?
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

englishangel wrote:We quite enjoyed it, and of course there are female centaurs, where would you get the next generation from, didn't they teach you anything in school?

Not THAT kind of stuff.

I wanted to be a scientist, ergo I had to give up Biology at the end of UIV and concentrate on (sounds of gagging and hyperventilation) physicks. This turned out to be a bit of a hindrance when I chose to do my A levels somewhere other than CH, as I was in an A Level Biology class where I was the only person who hadn't done O Level Biology.

Anyway, Biology, Lower or Upper IV, one very red faced Biology teacher (can't remember her name, but she is in the photo with Diana and Mary Mc) mumbling about rabbits - absolutely nothing about centaurs: or humans.
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

When I did biology at Hertford, only 2 of us had done it for O'level.

I wasn't thinking about the lab/classroom actually I was thinking about the dorm, that was where we got most of our sex ed. Didn't Miss Gravett do a bit as well?

Incidentally, said Biology teacher left to have a baby I think. that must have come as a shock. LOL

Daughter was trawling WHSmith at Heeathrow yesterday (while waiting for her Dad) for a sex book for her mate's 18th birthday present.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I decided that as I left CH thinking I could get pregnant by sitting on a dustbin, that I would ensure that my offspring would know all the facts.... even so dear son had a scary moment for 7 months, I hope that my daughter is well prepared for all and eny eventually (she tells me she is... so I guess it is so!)..

Anything to do with bodily functions at CH was strained to say the least - I thought I was dying when I had my 1st period... and Miss Gravett certainly worked out girls monthly cycles fast - she would refer girls to Sister in the Infirmary with a note if they had pleaded the monthly too often to avoid swimming!

no flies on her!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Why didn't they want us to know? Was it they didn't know themselves? I have never understood the reasoning behind cutting the pages out of the biology textbooks.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Katharine wrote:Why didn't they want us to know? Was it they didn't know themselves? I have never understood the reasoning behind cutting the pages out of the biology textbooks.
Because they were Edwardian! They had Victorian parents and anyting about the bodily functions was - to say the least - oh my dear - well - just not cricket! Thing is everyone had them! It is pure embarrassment - it still happens today - I have sessions with teens who can't ask "embarrassing" questions to their friends or parents - I just tell them, I see no point in getting embarrassed or hiding it, all it does is make it worse for the next generation..

However, that is to say, one does not shout it all from the rooftops!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mu Ma was a nurse/midwife/health visitor, and I lerned to read before I went to school so I had read all her books before I was seven and she realised.