Punishments at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Re: Punishments at CH

Post by LongGone »

sejintenej wrote:
LongGone wrote:Since this thread seems to have drifted to confirmation: did anyone else have a Franciscan? brother (monk, friar) act as teacher and confessor?
Brother Patrick SSF. ex floor salesman at the big haberdashers cum general store where North Street meets the Old Steyne in Brighton.

Vokins?
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

LongGone wrote:
sejintenej wrote:
LongGone wrote:Since this thread seems to have drifted to confirmation: did anyone else have a Franciscan? brother (monk, friar) act as teacher and confessor?
Brother Patrick SSF. ex floor salesman at the big haberdashers cum general store where North Street meets the Old Steyne in Brighton.

Vokins?
No, that doesn't ring a bell and the stupid thing is that I lived on the other side of the pub from it for several years. Perhaps it was all the beer so I couldn't read the name :o That was in the early 1960s
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Putting my very old ex-plod hat on and doing some internet research, I've come up with this possibility !

Deacon and Co., Drapers and Haberdashers, which appears on records of Old Brighton North Street/Old Steyne (sic).

Ring any bells ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:Putting my very old ex-plod hat on and doing some internet research, I've come up with this possibility !

Deacon and Co., Drapers and Haberdashers, which appears on records of Old Brighton North Street/Old Steyne (sic).

Ring any bells ?
Sounds like it. Thanks. To recap, one of their staff became a monk - SSF which is the Protestant half of the St Francis monks.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I remember in LF (or maybe LE) history Kit was very insistent on the difference between monks and friars. Franciscans (like Carmelites and Dominicans) are friars, in fact they were the Greyfriars. CH was even founded on the site of a dissolved Greyfriars' priory. Detention, I think!
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

.... and monks cannot work in fish & chip shops !!

(I'll get me hat !!)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.