Holiday destinations?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

Great Plum wrote:
Vonny wrote:
Ruthie-Baby wrote:Wow. I've never bothered with travel insurance.
I thought you had to have it if you travelled abroad? :?
Not as far as I know - it is strongly recommended... The only thing you need is an E111 in Europe...
or even the EHIC as it's now called. come on Kuoni :D
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

and please, please, please don't skimp on your shots and malaria tablets either.

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk is very good for finding out what is necessary
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

eloisec wrote:
Great Plum wrote:
Vonny wrote: I thought you had to have it if you travelled abroad? :?
Not as far as I know - it is strongly recommended... The only thing you need is an E111 in Europe...
or even the EHIC as it's now called. come on Kuoni :D
I don't sell Europe! ;)

And my new card I got last year said it was an E111...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Great Plum wrote:I don't sell Europe! ;)

And my new card I got last year said it was an E111...
I think you will now need an EHIC, you can apply on line.

As usual the governemnt have changed the system and not done a very good job of letting people know.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Due to my current location, the flying I do this year will be flying me back to England :(
Doubt I will be getting a holiday this year, not until skiing in the winter :)
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Attached is the web with info on EHIC (E111 no longer valid)

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/ ... lers/fs/en
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

midget wrote:
AKAP wrote:Australia
Haut provence (cycling)
North York Moors (cycling)
Barnstaple
Norfolk (cycling)

The advantage of retirement over self employment.
Glad to see you are coming to BARNSTAPLE -home of the traffic jam and 15 charity shops.
Glorious Devon! It's a great place to holiday in. And live. Especially North Devon. Admittedly the traffic in Barnstaple is hideous, but the new bridge will hopefully take some of the cars out of the centre. My younger daughter was born (just) in NDDH in Barnstaple. Does that make her a Devon Maid?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

cj wrote:
midget wrote:
AKAP wrote:Australia
Haut provence (cycling)
North York Moors (cycling)
Barnstaple
Norfolk (cycling)

The advantage of retirement over self employment.
Glad to see you are coming to BARNSTAPLE -home of the traffic jam and 15 charity shops.
Glorious Devon! It's a great place to holiday in. And live. Especially North Devon. Admittedly the traffic in Barnstaple is hideous, but the new bridge will hopefully take some of the cars out of the centre. My younger daughter was born (just) in NDDH in Barnstaple. Does that make her a Devon Maid?
You mean you only just made it, or she has just been born?
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Meaning we only just made it to hospital. She should have been born at home but slight complications meant a mercy dash halfway across county on a Sunday morning. It was quite interesting - me wrapped in a blanket, with a baby on it's way "out", passing the congregation going into church as we tried to leg it to the ambulance. The crew couldn't get a stretcher-thing up the stairs in our cottage so I staggered down while they were all contemplating their navels. The combination of gas and air and a bit of acupuncture rendered me marvellously calm throughout the whole ordeal, unlike my poor husband!

(Far too much information there, I think!)

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

cj wrote:Meaning we only just made it to hospital. She should have been born at home but slight complications meant a mercy dash halfway across county on a Sunday morning. It was quite interesting - me wrapped in a blanket, with a baby on it's way "out", passing the congregation going into church as we tried to leg it to the ambulance. The crew couldn't get a stretcher-thing up the stairs in our cottage so I staggered down while they were all contemplating their navels. The combination of gas and air and a bit of acupuncture rendered me marvellously calm throughout the whole ordeal, unlike my poor husband!

Not for me :oops:
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

englishangel wrote:
cj wrote:Meaning we only just made it to hospital. She should have been born at home but slight complications meant a mercy dash halfway across county on a Sunday morning. It was quite interesting - me wrapped in a blanket, with a baby on it's way "out", passing the congregation going into church as we tried to leg it to the ambulance. The crew couldn't get a stretcher-thing up the stairs in our cottage so I staggered down while they were all contemplating their navels. The combination of gas and air and a bit of acupuncture rendered me marvellously calm throughout the whole ordeal, unlike my poor husband!

Not for me :oops:
Are you a midwife or an obstetrician?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

midwife.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

My midwife was just brilliant and was very encouraging re. home births. Despite the trauma of the last birth I would still opt for a home birth again. In fact all the midwifes (or wives?) I came across were so reassuring esp. for a first birth. I was taken into hospital at about 32 weeks with a bad kidney infection and saw a doctor who told me the baby was a breech birth and that I'd have to have a caesarian (cue a major panic). 5 mins later, and the midwife who saw me felt my middle and told me he was talking rot. And at my last scan at 38 weeks the doctor told me I ought to think about being induced!!! Anyway, baby arrived the day after she was due, 9 1/2 lbs (ouch), cord round her neck 3 times, no interventions and no drugs (of which I was very proud!). My acupuncturist came with me and I found that extremely helpful especially at the beginning of labour which arrived very suddenly. Not a job I could do though. Being at the end I was for the whole experience was much preferable!
"Would you like a mirror to see what you're doing?"
(Through gritted teeth) "No thanks. I can feel it!"

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

cj wrote:My midwife was just brilliant and was very encouraging re. home births. Despite the trauma of the last birth I would still opt for a home birth again. In fact all the midwifes (or wives?) I came across were so reassuring esp. for a first birth. I was taken into hospital at about 32 weeks with a bad kidney infection and saw a doctor who told me the baby was a breech birth and that I'd have to have a caesarian (cue a major panic). 5 mins later, and the midwife who saw me felt my middle and told me he was talking rot. And at my last scan at 38 weeks the doctor told me I ought to think about being induced!!! Anyway, baby arrived the day after she was due, 9 1/2 lbs (ouch), cord round her neck 3 times, no interventions and no drugs (of which I was very proud!). My acupuncturist came with me and I found that extremely helpful especially at the beginning of labour which arrived very suddenly. Not a job I could do though. Being at the end I was for the whole experience was much preferable!
"Would you like a mirror to see what you're doing?"
(Through gritted teeth) "No thanks. I can feel it!"
You do realise that 85 % of this forum have decided never to come here again? :lol: :lol:
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:"Would you like a mirror to see what you're doing?"
And see yourself getting ripped to shreds? No way :|
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41