YOB meet up on St Matt's Day

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Shame you won't be there Matt. Twould have been interesting. And I'll be plastered in Tunbridge Wells in the evening so that's a no go then. Perhaps see you around after work some other day. ALl these OB events (drinks on the boat, Carol Service et c) seem to be conspired to be on a day I can't really attend!

Anyway it'll be nice to see the parade. Of course, it'll be nothing like it was "in my day" :wink: but then, that's probably good.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(BaA 88-95; Foundation Staff 99-02)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

cj wrote:
Jude wrote:
cj wrote:When travelling from Devon, I always feel that once we get to Fleet services, that's it and life as I know it is over. I hate the M25 and the motorways into Kent, and that bit round Southampton/Portsmouth and on to Chichester. But London always gives me a bit of a thrill. I wouldn't want to live there, but I just love visiting and going on the tube. The place is so vast and I feel like a bit of a country bumpkin.
Cath - how long have you lived in Devon - you know you have to live ther for over 25 years before you become "one of them" I am nearing it with Gloucestershire - been here 23 years.... but I don't talk like a local (nor do I ever intend to!)
Only been in Devon for about 10 years. I am a Maid of Kent by birth, and rural Kent at that, which is why the big smoke holds such a fascination, I guess. Lived in Glasgow for 5 years and could understand the language there, but still can't fathom what a Devonian is on about 10 years on.
Whereabouts in Kent?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Mid A 15 wrote:
cj wrote: I am a Maid of Kent by birth, and rural Kent at that,
Whereabouts in Kent?
Born in the Kent & Canterbury Hospital (in Canterbury, funnily enough), brought up in Chartham Hatch, a hamlet a couple of miles west of the city, schooled in Sturry and Deal prior to CH. We stay with friends in Wingham every summer. I love going back and Canterbury is so much nicer now than it was in the 70s and early 80s. And of course it has the finest cathedral in the country.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Deb GP wrote:Shame you won't be there Matt. Twould have been interesting. And I'll be plastered in Tunbridge Wells in the evening so that's a no go then. Perhaps see you around after work some other day. ALl these OB events (drinks on the boat, Carol Service et c) seem to be conspired to be on a day I can't really attend!

Anyway it'll be nice to see the parade. Of course, it'll be nothing like it was "in my day" :wink: but then, that's probably good.
Back in our day, it was far superior! ;)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Great Plum wrote:
Deb GP wrote:Shame you won't be there Matt. Twould have been interesting. And I'll be plastered in Tunbridge Wells in the evening so that's a no go then. Perhaps see you around after work some other day. ALl these OB events (drinks on the boat, Carol Service et c) seem to be conspired to be on a day I can't really attend!

It really has changed, im proud to be one of the last year groups to go every year and do the correct route and service in St Paul's! i dont think i could go watch it again without feeling let down by it
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

blondie95 wrote:
Great Plum wrote:

It really has changed, im proud to be one of the last year groups to go every year and do the correct route and service in St Paul's! i dont think i could go watch it again without feeling let down by it
Without being a pedant Amy, the school only used St Paul's for a few years (I think it happened to be the celebrations in 1997, 2000 and 2002) - before that they always used St Sephulcure without Newgate and these days use St Andrew's in Holborn (St S had become a bit dilapidated apparently)
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

well st pauls is my memory so to me its right
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

blondie95 wrote:well st pauls is my memory so to me its right

I will give you that I suppose...
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Embarrassingly, I have no recollections of the church services for St Matts Day. I must have been there in body if not in spirit as I was singing in the choir. And I remember only one of the three or four band parades I participated in for the occasion, and that was my Grecian's year. A unique event, that went right over my head. That's gratitude for you!

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

cj wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
cj wrote: I am a Maid of Kent by birth, and rural Kent at that,
Whereabouts in Kent?
Born in the Kent & Canterbury Hospital (in Canterbury, funnily enough), brought up in Chartham Hatch, a hamlet a couple of miles west of the city, schooled in Sturry and Deal prior to CH. We stay with friends in Wingham every summer. I love going back and Canterbury is so much nicer now than it was in the 70s and early 80s. And of course it has the finest cathedral in the country.
Wingham Bird Park (I think they call it Wild Life Park now) is a child friendly place for half a day or so. I know Chartham Hatch as my Great, Great, Grandfather lived there according to the 1901 census (? spelling) Salmestone Lane

I live about 20 miles or so up the A2 / M2.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

so if I come up - where do I go?? and what time??? i have to be back at Paddington for 9pm as it's the last train home..... unless I find aplace to stay .. sounds all abit much really - I never did a St Matts day....
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Mid A 15 wrote:
cj wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote: Whereabouts in Kent?
Wingham Bird Park (I think they call it Wild Life Park now) is a child friendly place for half a day or so. I know Chartham Hatch as my Great, Great, Grandfather lived there according to the 1901 census (? spelling) Salmestone Lane

I live about 20 miles or so up the A2 / M2.
Our friends live two houses along from the Bird Park and regularly have peacocks visiting their garden. We went last year and it was just awful, really neglected. Apparently the chap who runs it was arrested sometime during the last few months for indecently assaulting someone in his family. I don't know Salmestone Lane in Chartham Hatch - will ask my mother. What a coincidence!! My grandparents arrived there after the war so my mother was brought up there. We lived next door to my grandparents (in Howfield Lane) and then all moved into their house when they got a bit too old to manage it. And we have connections going back some while with Chartham church. Grandfather was a church warden there (and treasurer at St Augustine's Hospital!), mum was organist, met my Dad in the church (he was looking for the famous brasses) and married him there, and my brother and I were christened there. Still have friends in the village.

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I certainly remember the service and the march, I only did it the once. I felt that we looked appalling in our grey pinafore dresses and tartan blouses, beside the boys in Housey I felt an interloper!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Wasn't St Sep's used because it's the nearest active church to the site of the school? Obvs Christ Church w.o. Newgate is closer but it's a bit bombed out... and haunted by all accounts (or so our guide for our "Ghosts of the Old City" Walk told us - a splendid evening's entertainment). I think Christ Church is (was) the Church that CH used when in London and is in one of those paintings which was turned into a CH greetings card that also depicts the "Wren" Portico (of back of Big School fame).

St Andrew's is bigger than St Sep's and is more active, I think. Plus you don't have to sit looking at ominious prison artefacts all the way through the service as I recall doing so in St Sep's.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

now this thread is giving me a headache! TOO MANY CHURCHES!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach