A thought on self-moderation

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

A thought on self-moderation

Post by Great Plum »

A serious post from me...

One thing that came up from chatting to people in the pub on St Matt's Day was that a lot of people have registered but not posted. (or not more than once or twice!)

I think that if there is a thread such as the 'Old Blue's Day - a date for your diary' - or anything that has been 'stickyed', then we endeavour to stick on topic so that casual browsers can find what they are looking for. it will also possibly encourage them to post otherwise all they will find is 'in' jokes.

I don't think there's any problem in wandering off topic, but I think there are posts (and maybe forums - such as School announcements) where we ought to try not to go off topic.

What do people think?

(edited to amend poor spelling!)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: A thought on self-moderation

Post by Mid A 15 »

Great Plum wrote:A serious post from me...

One thing that came up from chatting to people in the pub on St Matt's Day was that a lot of people have registered but not posted. (or not more than once or twice!)

I think that if there is a thread such as the 'Old Blue's Day - a date for your diary' - or anything that has been 'stickyed', then we endeavour to stick on topic so that casual browsers can find what they are looking for. it will also possibly encourage them to post otherwise all they will find is 'in' jokes.

I don't think there's any problem in wandering off topic, but I think there are posts (and maybe forums - such as School announcements) where we ought to try not to go off topic.

What do people think?

(edited to amend poor spelling!)
I agree with you. Far too sensible for most of us though :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Maybe if it was agreed, the mods could keep an eye and split off any of our nonsense posts from the 'serious' topics...
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

Great Plum wrote:Maybe if it was agreed, the mods could keep an eye and split off any of our nonsense posts from the 'serious' topics...
Yes, I have to agree with you.

There were how many pages in the 'St Matt's Day' topic that I had to wade through, quickly, while at work, to try to get to the bit where it said the timings and I didn't see the route, either because it wasn't there or because I missed it in all the rubbish.

Not saying I'm not as guilty as others at wandering (I do after all, frequently get lost) but yes, it's a good plan.

Over to you, moderators! Good luck!!
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Great Plum wrote:Maybe if it was agreed, the mods could keep an eye and split off any of our nonsense posts from the 'serious' topics...
That means they'll be removing stuff from every thread - a lot of work for them!

You're right, though. It would be useful if things like Old Blues Day and other event announcements could be kept to the matter in hand. AFTER the event is, of course, another thing entirely.......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Richard Ruck wrote:
That means they'll be removing stuff from every thread - a lot of work for them!

You're right, though. It would be useful if things like Old Blues Day and other event announcements could be kept to the matter in hand. AFTER the event is, of course, another thing entirely.......
well if someone instigated my calendar theory then at least they could be seen, on a calendar, like
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

what could happen is that the current ones are renamed and new sticky topics are made which we would then not 'wander' in...
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Great Plum wrote:what could happen is that the current ones are renamed and new sticky topics are made which we would then not 'wander' in...
as long as we don't wander in the sticky ones. (no jokes please)

But then the moderators would have to lift the usful info out of the wandery ones and stick it in the sticky. Hmm.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

I like the idea of a calender if it can be done. I also like the idea of some serious threads in a section of their own where there is to be no funny business of any sort just announcemements. Even after the event, well then open a new thread elsewhere.
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

I agree. Self moderation would be hugely appreciated in terms of speed and also for those of us at work who don't want to wade through two pages of oo err missus frankie howerd esque innuendo which we thought we'd left behind when promoted from wearing yellow socks and the fear that the thread might contain a naughty word or several which would flag on our work "you're looking at naughty web-sites; let's sack you" system.

Thanks.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(BaA 88-95; Foundation Staff 99-02)
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

soc wrote:I like the idea of a calender if it can be done. I also like the idea of some serious threads in a section of their own where there is to be no funny business of any sort just announcemements. Even after the event, well then open a new thread elsewhere.
hooray someone agrees. Cheers Sean.

and yes, a sectioned off area where we have to be sensible would be brilliant. It might all have to be in a different colour or something so that we would know we were there. One of my problems is that I have no idea what thread or topic I'm posting on once I've clicked on 'Post reply'.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

All very sensible - I agree keep the stickies sticky and the inuendos where they belong :oops:
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

DavebytheSea wrote:All very sensible - I agree keep the stickies sticky and the inuendos where they belong :oops:
what's up with you today DBTS? You're almost as bad as JR.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

and that's how easy it is to go off topic.

Ably demonstrated by me.

Sorry world.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I was being serious!! - especially now we have a nice thread specially designed for the purpose.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)