School Chaplains

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

stpandp
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by stpandp »

From Crockford online

Description Information

Benefice: CHRIST'S HOSPITAL Horsham

Diocese: CHICHESTER

Appointment Start Date End Date Name

Sen Chapl 1996 Ongoing MITRA A

Assistant Chaplain 1996 Ongoing MITRA N J

Assistant Chaplain 1996 2003 DOBBIE G W

Housemaster 1993 2003 DOBBIE G W

Assistant Chaplain 1991 1996 POWELL K

Sen Chapl 1986 1996 DOBBIE G W

Assistant Chaplain 1986 1996 DUNCAN C P M

Assistant Chaplain 1985 1990 BANYARD (or BRUNSKILL) S K

Chaplain 1980 1985 PORTEOUS M S

Assistant Chaplain 1970 1985 ATKINSON I

Chaplain 1983 1985 YATES S

Assistant Chaplain 1972 1982 HALL G C

Chaplain 1965 1980 ROBSON J P

Assistant Chaplain 1965 1972 HALL-MATTHEWS J C B

Assistant Chaplain 1962 1965 ROBSON J P
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

I first came into contact with the chaplains on my squits. I can remember sitting in Whites garden with a couple of the other Barnes A squits who were terribly homesick (eventually they both left at the end of the Michaelmas term). Patrick Duncan was very sageful and friendly and most importantly - normal. It was a great intro into the work of a chaplain and he didn't do too much of the *teacher* in the way he talked to us. His RS classes were pretty good too and possibly the best ones I had in the five years of having to do RS.

Did you know Miss Banyard was actually a Mrs-something-else? I didn't until she left.

Poor Miss Powell though... oh the poor lady. She was great - but she had the misfortune of being attached to my house and we were shamefully horrid. Despicable even. And she tried so hard to be reasonable and friendly and open. One night on my LE, an elaborate plot was hatched through prep time for a big religious wind up. It was masterminded by Eleanor Wilson with a stellar performance from Barbara Lowe (a vicar's daughter and thus in theory "innocent" to such schemings). It all involved fake deities and shrines in Barbara's wardrobe and feigned religious persecution. It was hilarious. The whole house knew - even the monitoresses on duty. Poor Miss Powell... She took it all in good humour though.
greg
3rd Former

Post by greg »

Hello Deb,

I remember you telling me about that wind up. As I recall at the time it was the Barnes A voodoo plot!!

To add to the thread:

All I remember about the chaplain's is that:

Kate Powell had a really unfortunate haircut (bowel!!!) and in '91 referred to Idi Amin in a prayer when she meant to say Sadam Hussein and the entire scholl population looked at each other in wonder. Indeed in that one comment she probably had more of the scholol population's attention than many better speakers.

Rev Murdoch could paint a pretty picture (and yes I do believe the twins were somewhat of an attraction). His dogs, however, had the unfortunate habbit of performing ungodly acts in the middle of his RE classes!

Gary Dobbie was kind enough to marry me a few years back and gave one of the most wonderful sermons I have ever heard (consisting, it must be said, of mainly taking the piss out of the groom). As far as I am aware he is still the Chaplain at Shresbury School.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

greg wrote:Hello Deb,

I remember you telling me about that wind up. As I recall at the time it was the Barnes A voodoo plot!!

To add to the thread:

All I remember about the chaplain's is that:

Kate Powell had a really unfortunate haircut (bowel!!!) and in '91 referred to Idi Amin in a prayer when she meant to say Sadam Hussein and the entire scholl population looked at each other in wonder. Indeed in that one comment she probably had more of the scholol population's attention than many better speakers.

Rev Murdoch could paint a pretty picture (and yes I do believe the twins were somewhat of an attraction). His dogs, however, had the unfortunate habbit of performing ungodly acts in the middle of his RE classes!

Gary Dobbie was kind enough to marry me a few years back and gave one of the most wonderful sermons I have ever heard (consisting, it must be said, of mainly taking the piss out of the groom). As far as I am aware he is still the Chaplain at Shresbury School.
One wonders if that was strictly legal back then ?

I know Sir Elton J. has since done something very similar !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
stpandp
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: School Chaplains

Post by stpandp »

Can anyone confirm that a new chaplain has now been appointed?
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Yes; our new Senior Chaplain Elect is Father/Rev. Ian Colson. Currently chaplain at Ardingly (hence the HM's faith in him), he has a BSc in Biology, a BTheo, a Diploma in RE and is working on a PhD. He's also a hill walker, so I'm going to see if we can snatch him for the scouts before the DofEs get their hands on him!
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
stpandp
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by stpandp »

Eruresto wrote:Yes; our new Senior Chaplain Elect is Father/Rev. Ian Colson. Currently chaplain at Ardingly (hence the HM's faith in him), he has a BSc in Biology, a BTheo, a Diploma in RE and is working on a PhD. He's also a hill walker, so I'm going to see if we can snatch him for the scouts before the DofEs get their hands on him!
Surely the HM should have faith in HIM, not him :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

..... or HYMN ?

Why Father/Rev. ?

Surely, CofE are Reverend and Catholics are Father.

It does annoy me when they reply that they are priests of the High Church.

Does that mean they have 'High-Tea' at 4.00pm ???
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Yes, with tutees.

Well, Mr. Mitra is officially Revd. Mitra. However, the Franklins, coming from a slightly different tradition, call him "Father Munna". Likewise, while the Chapel Card calls Ian Colson "the Revd. IR Colson", the Head's notice refers to him as Father Ian (Colson). I think both sound nice.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
stpandp
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by stpandp »

Eruresto wrote:Yes, with tutees.

Well, Mr. Mitra is officially Revd. Mitra. However, the Franklins, coming from a slightly different tradition, call him "Father Munna". Likewise, while the Chapel Card calls Ian Colson "the Revd. IR Colson", the Head's notice refers to him as Father Ian (Colson). I think both sound nice.
Coming from a low church tradition, I admit there is some merit in being able (e.g. within a parish when visiting a primary school) to be called e.g. Father Cyril, rather than "Reverend Bloggins" which sounds a little too formal. I think, in this case, though, the "Father" refers both to the theological tradition of the new head and the chaplain designate. What Edward VI and Ridley would make of these titles though, would make for an interesting discussion. It also would be interesting to see what title would be used if the new chaplain had been female.

Rev Cyril Bloggins
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Since becoming more mature (no comments perleeez), I have never used formal address to vicars etc.

Always Christian names. It's so much more friendly.

First name terms with my GP, dntist and the family veterinary surgeon. So much more civilised.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

J.R. wrote:..... or HYMN ?

Why Father/Rev. ?

Surely, CofE are Reverend and Catholics are Father.
This reminds me of a Dave Allan joke, about the Church of Ireland (Anglican) vicar in Belfast and his Catholic charwoman, who kept calling him "Sir".
"I wish you wouldn't call me Sir"
"Well, what shall I call you then, Sir?"
"What do you you cal your own, ahem, priest?"
"I call him Father, Sir"
"Well call me Father too, then."
(Rev. leaves the room)
"What, him a Father with a wife and six kids!"
Th.B. 27 1955-63
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Eruresto wrote:Yes; our new Senior Chaplain Elect is Father/Rev. Ian Colson. Currently chaplain at Ardingly (hence the HM's faith in him), he has a BSc in Biology, a BTheo, a Diploma in RE and is working on a PhD. He's also a hill walker, so I'm going to see if we can snatch him for the scouts before the DofEs get their hands on him!
I hear the potential candidates had to all come and do a sermon in chapel-sort of like a 'preach off'
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

As usual, I am a little confused.
Why is the chaplain appointed by the school and not by the church?
Who is in charge in the chapel, the chaplain or the Headmaster?
I can understand the school selecting someone to teach RE, or whatever it is now called, and getting the ok from the church that he could also hold communion etc.
Or the Church puts up a load of candidates and the school selecting.
Does anyone know how it works?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Deleted by sender
Last edited by Foureyes on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.