Old Blues Day attendance list

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

No No No

Immaculate conception. (somewhere else on here too)

Mary was conceived 'without sin' i.e. she (Mary) was perfect and without sin, not that Mary's mother was a Virgin.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

It's all to do with textual analysis. The OT prophecy was that a 'maiden' would conceive. The 'maiden' was not necessarily 'virgin' but was the daughter of a king or something.. as I recall.....
The OT prophecy (fulfilled in the NT) was not about biology...
My memory of my early Theological studies is pretty vague now but I do remember thinking that if this is so, how on earth can ordained priests stand in a pulpit at Christmas time and spout on about this baby born to a 'virgin'.
Personally, in terms of Christian faith (and speaking as someone who has an early start in the morning to be on duty in a Church of England parish church at 7.30 a.m.) I don't have a problem with that.. or with the allied debate about the technical likelihood of the resurrection. I' ve found a way round these debates, to retain my Christian faith with personal integrity. Has anyone read Don Cupitt and the Sea of Faith?

(I have got a feeling I am opening a can of worms here!)

Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

No wonder my trips to Church are now limited to Hatches, Matches and Dispatches !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.