AUCTION Your chance to spend a penny.......

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

AUCTION Your chance to spend a penny.......

Post by Mrs C. »

This is your chance to spend a penny (hopefully lots of them!) in the Forum`s first (and probably last!) CH Memorabilia Auction!

The people in the Health Centre (as it is now known) have been having a good clear out recently, and today I`ve aquired an interesting piece of CH memorabilia - which will be of particular interest to the " They`ve got it soft these days " brigade.

The item in question is a pre-1985 toilet roll - I have no idea how old it is, but every sheet is printed with the words Silver Silk, a crown and Christ`s Hospital. I`m sure someone will be able to date it.

I thought it might be a fun idea, coming up to Christmas , to auction it on the Forum , with all monies going to Forum funds (minus my p&p costs to the winning bidder)

(sorry- not a very good photo)

So.... dig deep into the bowels of your wallets, and hope this auction will be flushed with success!

The auction will end at 10pm (CH time!) on Wednesday 21stNovember and bids may be placed either on the forum or PM`ed to me and I will post an anonymous bid so that everyone is kept up-to-date. The winning bidder will be whoever has offered the highest amount at that time.

Lurkers - it`s time for you to come out of the plumbing and register in order to bid!

Yes, I AM serious!
And to one forum member in particular - I did say it would be crap didn`t I, but I hadn`t expected this!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

So who`ll start the bidding?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

£5
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: AUCTION Your chance to spend a penny.......

Post by englishangel »

Mrs C. wrote:This is your chance to spend a penny (hopefully lots of them!) in the Forum`s first (and probably last!) CH Memorabilia Auction!

The people in the Health Centre (as it is now known) have been having a good clear out recently, and today I`ve aquired an interesting piece of CH memorabilia - which will be of particular interest to the " They`ve got it soft these days " brigade.

The item in question is a pre-1985 toilet roll - I have no idea how old it is, but every sheet is printed with the words Silver Silk, a crown and Christ`s Hospital. I`m sure someone will be able to date it.

I thought it might be a fun idea, coming up to Christmas , to auction it on the Forum , with all monies going to Forum funds (minus my p&p costs to the winning bidder)

(sorry- not a very good photo)

So.... dig deep into the bowels of your wallets, and hope this auction will be flushed with success!

The auction will end at 10pm (CH time!) on Wednesday 21stNovember and bids may be placed either on the forum or PM`ed to me and I will post an anonymous bid so that everyone is kept up-to-date. The winning bidder will be whoever has offered the highest amount at that time.

Lurkers - it`s time for you to come out of the plumbing and register in order to bid!

Yes, I AM serious!
And to one forum member in particular - I did say it would be crap didn`t I, but I hadn`t expected this!!
This was Mrs C's 2000th post :lol:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

... and I kid you not!
The item is availble for viewing if nobody believes me!!

Did you know that soft loo roll was introduced when the girls from Hertford arrived?
Just another gem of information I picked up yesterday.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Mrs C. wrote:Did you know that soft loo roll was introduced when the girls from Hertford arrived?
Just another gem of information I picked up yesterday.
I didn't know that, but somehow I'm not surprised. It was like wiping your bum with tinfoil!

Apologies to more delicate members of the forum, but the truth will out...
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

............. I remember those toilet rolls well.

I even remember someone in one house carefully un-rolling, writing on, then re-rolling a complete roll, with the words.

"World Paper Shortage: Please Use Both Sides."
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

..and this is your golden opportunity to own your very own CH loo roll
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

When was soft loo-roll introduced at Hertford? We had precut sheets of something unyielding, stashed in little wooden boxes.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

So did we, Maggie.

Last month we visited an elderly friend and there was a choice of the two kinds in his bathroom. It is ages since I last saw that awful stuff!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Katharine wrote:So did we, Maggie.

Last month we visited an elderly friend and there was a choice of the two kinds in his bathroom. It is ages since I last saw that awful stuff!
It was called IZAL I think.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

midget wrote:When was soft loo-roll introduced at Hertford? We had precut sheets of something unyielding, stashed in little wooden boxes.
By 1965 we had progressed to rolls, but it was still the shiny on one side, matt on the other, not very absorbent, and thoroughly unpleasant to use stuff.

I remember writing lines on some as a protest against the perceived injustice of the punishment. Total waste of time - had to rewrite them, of course.

xx
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Funny, I remember boxes at Hertford, as midget described, not rolls, and I started in 1967. It was like Izal but I think it might have been called Bronco or something.

Funny what memories we have of the details of our time at CH :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I have a funny feeling that you are both right - boxes in some places and rolls in others (in the houses?).
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I think house mistresses ordered supplies from a list. Some houses had carbolic soap in the cloakroom, while others had something nicer. Maybe it was the same with loo paper.

All a luxury to me. At home, we still had torn-up newspaper in our outside loo. (Cue cries of "we used to dream about torn up newspaper").
Mary
CH 1965-1972