Becomming a New Dep

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Urgh-My-Pancreas
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Becomming a New Dep

Post by Urgh-My-Pancreas »

cj wrote: You certainly won't be bored, UMP. Just think that not that long ago (ie. when I was there) we had laundry washing and compulsory letter writing home at weekends to keep us occupied.
good! i was intending to write heaps of letters anyway! they're a bit more fun than e-mail!
be excellent to one another!
Lightbulbbroken
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Lightbulbbroken »

Urgh-My-Pancreas wrote:i think all i can say is blimey!
this morning i was in a foul mood because i had been woken up at 10:30, whic at the moment is far too early for a saturday! :P
at least i can see everyone drinks their own weight in tea, which is something i'm particularly fond of, tea makes the world a better place!
my day today was meant to be a complete revision day for my Physics exam on monday... instead i dithered around the house in my pyjamas, drank tea, got dressed about 1, drank tea, went for a walk for a few hours, came back watched harry potter with a nice big cup of tea and now i'm here... with a cup of tea :mrgreen:
hmmm... oh well sounds splendid all the same! spesh the film night thing and all that. are there still many video players around? back to the future and starwars are only availiable to me on VHS...

is volunatry chapel common? being someone who is not deeply religious that sounds tempting...
you poor thing to get up so early :shock: I was woken up by my brother, screaming at my mum only an hour after you :roll:
Do you prefer 'real' tea or fruit herbal teas?
Which physics one is it? those stupid short answer ones I'm guessing, don't worry it was pretty easy, I did mine last week, and a biology one day before yesterday :snakeman:
about to babysit, will be back on later :mrgreen:
[size=85]You can also find Pan on Facebook, Myspace and Gaia should you so choose. :D [/size]
Urgh-My-Pancreas
GE (Great Erasmus)

how odd, my brother woke me screaming at my dad!
REAL TEA blates! none of that sissy fruity stuff! it's earl grey all the way for me, black with a tiny bit of sugar!
well if the chemestry exam i had yesterday was a short answer one i definately failed as i remember writing ALOT
the physics one is the same (but obviously about physics :wink: ) either way, i'm not looking forward to it...

oh well
tis only science :P

idgie
x
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I rarely drank tea until I wen to CH, but what we had was so unlike the real thing that I got into the habit of drinking it, even after I saw how it was made. A large boiler was filled with water and brought more or less to the boil, and a large (failing memory says about a foot square) tea-filled muslin bag on a string was thrown in and squashed against the side of the boiler. When the liquid reached the required colour (or when the cook got bored, whichever was the sooner) the bag was withdrawn and a large pot of milk was poured in. This mixture was then poured into the urns for the separate houses. We had coffee at breakfast once or twice a term and that tasted more like coffee than the tea tasted like tea.

Chapel was ALWAYS compulsory, as were mending on Wednesday, and letter writing on Sunday. Ah Happy days!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Urgh-My-Pancreas wrote: REAL TEA blates! none of that sissy fruity stuff! it's earl grey all the way for me, black with a tiny bit of sugar!
idgie
x
Be thankful that, with luck, you won't get kiff. That is thick, very very white with quasi-milk, full of sugar or some weird sweetener and whether they used one tea bag per 500 boy meals is debatable. Pretty undrinkable - simply hot, wet and sweet. No doubt they filled it full of bromine to protect the females
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

chapel is compulsory its only communion or evensong that is optional...

Also CH disco's were always good fun as were the theme nights run by the grecians club...and that was when they sold alcohol
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

The best tea I've ever had was at CH. Especially at Horsham - I used to drink gallons of the stuff - just hot enough that it didn't quite burn on the way down :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Urgh-My-Pancreas
GE (Great Erasmus)

Vonny wrote:The best tea I've ever had was at CH. Especially at Horsham - I used to drink gallons of the stuff - just hot enough that it didn't quite burn on the way down :lol:
oohh sounds fantastic! spesh as my tea is black and takes forever to cool down!
i wont be able to live without it!

now,
i have another question to ask...
right
sport
now, i am not the sort of person who will willingly do anything that means being outside in the icy depths of english winter, in shorts, running around; swimming, cycling i will do without even having to be asked and maybe at a push rounders or basketball
but i was wondering if there is going to be any sort of forced jolly-hokey-sticking and netballing during my time at CH because one of the few things that got me through lower secondary PE was the thought of never having to do either EVER again.
if it is compulsory i don't mind doing it, it will probably be a good thing for me - though i'm not sure any team would want me as they will definately loose!
so is there any chance that we choose the sport we do?
Lightbulbbroken
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Lightbulbbroken »

Urgh-My-Pancreas wrote:how odd, my brother woke me screaming at my dad!
haha what a strange world we live in :? how old is your brother btw, and do you have any other siblings?
Urgh-My-Pancreas wrote: REAL TEA blates! none of that sissy fruity stuff! it's earl grey all the way for me, black with a tiny bit of sugar!

Good for you! I've started a tea collection and I'm working towards the sturdier types, only I tried them when I was young and made it made me quite ill. Bought some really nice green tea with rosehips from Camden Market a couple of weeks ago, ya gots to be careful round there :P But still chai is my favourite at the moment. But I don't think I could best you
Urgh-My-Pancreas wrote: well if the chemistry exam i had yesterday was a short answer one i definately failed as i remember writing ALOT
the physics one is the same (but obviously about physics :wink: ) either way, i'm not looking forward to it...

oh well
tis only science
Don't worry! I'm sure you'll do fine. and you've probably got those silly multiple choice one's in a couple of weeks too :evil:
Not looking forward to tomorrow as I've got to finish my Drama coursework, all 22 pages of it, my english media coursework and maths homework :x I meant to actually do somthing with my time as well :roll:
[size=85]You can also find Pan on Facebook, Myspace and Gaia should you so choose. :D [/size]
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Good to see you're a tea drinker, UMP! I always take a real mug and a real teabag to breakfast, as not only do the plastic mugs not do tea justice, the tea you get out of the machines is decaffinated, instant rubbish.

Oh yes, A Question Of Sport. Ho Hum.

Well, I don't know the specifics, but based on observations and research, your week might go something like this, in Michaelmas at any rate:

Monday: Cup Ties (or it might be house leagues: you have two separate things, we just do block comps)
Tuesday: Minority Courses/Free
Wednesday: No idea
Thursday: Service Actives/other active
Friday: Free
Saturday: Free

Of course, that could all be wrong. Mine this week is

Wednesday: Block Comps
Thursday: Scouts Active

Every other day is blank!!!

Cycling is very good though; any references you see to a mysterious "Phoebus" are to my bike.
PS. Block comps are non-squad activities...
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Urgh-My-Pancreas
GE (Great Erasmus)

instant tea????
*shudder*

thanks for clearing up the CH lingo! i assume that means i will have to do something which to be fair i expected!
i think my problem with cycling is i don't have a bike... i have a trike though! a three wheeled delivery bike that was once my aunts and is now mine... would that do? it is by no means durable

urgh, here i am, up at 7 today ready to go to work in a few minutes! everyone else is Zedding away and i'm on my tod in the dark... with a cup of tea :P
spose i'd better get used to it!
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

A trike?! You SO have to bring it in - the style marks would go off the scale!

By the way, are you on Facebook?
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Eruresto wrote: I always take a real mug and a real teabag to breakfast, as not only do the plastic mugs not do tea justice, the tea you get out of the machines is decaffinated, instant rubbish.
Plastic cups? :shock: Would never have happened in my day :lol: Things must have changed :( We had urns at the back of the dining hall - I assume these have been changed for machines.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Urgh-My-Pancreas
GE (Great Erasmus)

Eruresto wrote:A trike?! You SO have to bring it in - the style marks would go off the scale!

yes indeed, i think the authentic rust also add's to its charm! what's even better is it has a seat on the back that you can give other a ride on, when we first got it my brother and i gave eachother lifts all round our area. ahhh good times!
by the by, what is at the top end of the scale that it would be off of?
and
not facebook, but myspace and bebo... i tried to get facebook... and i really should as no-one seems to have myspace anymore and bebo is just rubbish...

a question amied mainly at josh
i know there are CH scouts, but is there the equvilent for girls?
i left guides a few years ago, but once a girl scout always a girl scout...
the scouts for older kids round here are mixed, but what about the CH ones?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Urgh-My-Pancreas wrote:
Eruresto wrote:A trike?! You SO have to bring it in - the style marks would go off the scale!

yes indeed, i think the authentic rust also add's to its charm! what's even better is it has a seat on the back that you can give other a ride on, when we first got it my brother and i gave eachother lifts all round our area. ahhh good times!
by the by, what is at the top end of the scale that it would be off of?
and
not facebook, but myspace and bebo... i tried to get facebook... and i really should as no-one seems to have myspace anymore and bebo is just rubbish...

a question amied mainly at josh
i know there are CH scouts, but is there the equvilent for girls?
i left guides a few years ago, but once a girl scout always a girl scout...
the scouts for older kids round here are mixed, but what about the CH ones?
A nice (french) freudian slip here.

UMP nothing is sacred
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"