Fiona Bruce at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Fiona Bruce at CH

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Fiona Bruce at CH

Post by Mid A 15 »

What hasn't Marty told us about his schooldays? :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Mid A 15 wrote:What hasn't Marty told us about his schooldays?
This is a significant question rasing matters of the utmost complexity. I would dearly love to answer it, but first need to know:
# Who was/is Marty?
# What, if anything, does he have to do with Fiona Bruce?
# What does Fiona Bruce have to do with CH?

:shock:
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Very simple, David
a) Marty is a member of this Forum
b) He lusts (or used to lust...) after Fiona Bruce
c) 'Who do you think you are' on BBC on 9 Feb features Fiona Bruce. She was filmed at CH (there's a picture on the school website) - so the programme will tell us what her connection is!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I will watch it to see CH however im not really interested in her fmaily history-ill be honest and await the backlash......I CANT Stand that woman
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

blondie95 wrote:ill be honest and await the backlash......I CANT Stand that woman
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

I enjoy the programme so would have watched it anyway - am looking forward to this episode in particular now though.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Marty is indeed quite on the subject but methinks he has risen to greater spheres and chosen a new icon?!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

dont get me wrong, i really enjoy who do you think you are-its aboslutly fascinating how things you think are true about your history actually can just be folklore etc.
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

its aboslutly fascinating how things you think are true about your history actually can just be folklore etc.
That may be so, but there is another side to the coin and sometimes genealogical research can uncover facts about one's ancestors which would much better have remained hidden and forgotten. I have done research on a number of families and on several occasions have felt it necessary to withhold information which would only have caused distress.

So, yes it is fun and it is very satisfying to fill in the last gap in a family tree, but be aware that sometimes when a family stopped talking to and about Uncle A or Grandma B there could actually have been a very good reason.

Last edited by Foureyes on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I've had an "unknown" grandfather. It's amazing, I suppose, that my grandmother wasn't put in a correctional home in 1906, but she adored her baby and managed to hang on to him. My father had no idea who his father was, and when, as a child, I innocently wondered why my grandmother had a different name - she married - a brute of a bullying man - I was answered by a deep embarassed silence. The subject was never, never, mentioned again to my parents.

Occasionally, I've wondered who he was. A charmer, I bet!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

Foureyes wrote:
its aboslutly fascinating how things you think are true about your history actually can just be folklore etc.
That may be so, but there is another side to the coin and sometimes genealogical research can uncover facts about one's ancestors which would much better have remained hidden and forgotten. I have done research on a number of families and on several occasions have felt it necessary to withhold information which would only have caused distress.

Absolutely agree. My sister has been compiling our family tree and has found that my mother had a yonger brother who no one ever mentioned to her. The trail has gone cold and we have absolutely no knowledge of what happened to him. It's caused my mother (85) terrible distress. Caution is definitely required!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I am sure most families have unusual occurrences, I will put it no stronger than that since they were other times and circumstances.
My mother discovered just before she got married, that she and all bar the last two brothers, had been born out of wedlock. My grandfather had been married before and waited until his first wife died before he married my grandmother.
My father was more than put out that my grandfather took the high moral ground and opposed the marriage.

There are less upsettling things to find that are nevertheless intriguing.

My father's mother, who died of TB in the mid 30's, was always thought to be Irish. However, she was born in Silvertown, and her parents were married in Birmingham. So at best she was second generation.
Just shows how much the language and customs of the parents can affect the children.
Unusual surname, KENDLING, which I have been unable to track down.

I always thought I was a quarter Irish, but have had to downgrade. But the ginger hair must have come from somewhere, unless it was the milkman.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

blondie95 wrote:I will watch it to see CH however im not really interested in her fmaily history-ill be honest and await the backlash......I CANT Stand that woman
I very very nearly 'moderated' this post young lady !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fiona is an Icon.

She is ALL woman and a role-model for her gender.

Rather her than some young bottle-blonde Essex born alcopop-swigging ladette !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

:lol: :lol: :lol: He's back!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

The Victorians were not as strait-laced as I had been brought up to believe! My Father, the first child in his family, was a 7-month baby, and his father died when he was about 4-ish (at least 1 other child by then. My gran could not afford to look after the children, and they were put into a home (the Greenwich homes at Sidcup) My gran then started to live with her brother-in-law,and had a couple of children with him. My sister has very faint memories of a wedding in about 1922-23, when it became legal for a woman to marry her late husband's brother. I didn't know until I was in my 30's that the man I had known as Granddad was my great uncle.

btw I'm with you, Amy, I think the goddess is over-rated, and there is far too much tima about her in the Antiques Roadshow!

Maggie (runs for shelter!)
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.