Old Blues Weekend (Wearing Full Housey)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Old Blues Weekend (Wearing Full Housey)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Well, frankly I think it'd be a spanking, spiffing idea if Old Blues could go back to the old dump for an entire weekend once a year, don Housey, sleep in the Houses, eat in the Dining Hall (or maybe the Court Room), etc., etc.

Oh what fun it'd be, especially seeing elderly men with long white beards pottering about in Houseycoats. I should imagine it'd also be a useful moneyspinner for CH, since I've no doubt OBs would be happy to fork out a few hundred nicker for a fun weekend like that.

But uh-oh, the wardrobe surely wouldn't be able to provide enough Houseycoats, shirts, breeches etcetera, least of all in mansize (unless there's an enormous stash of frayed and tatty uniforms salted away in an underground bunker somewhere).

I still think it'd be a neat idea, though. Maybe if the wardrobe staff started stockpiling old uniforms now, it'd be feasible to start the weekends five years from now.

Bring your own black shoes, obviously.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Old Blues Weekend (Wearing Full Housey)

Post by J.R. »

Watch This Space ???????

:shock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

OY!
This is quite a good idea but at the moment is rather sexist. What about former Hertford people, who never wore Houseycoats to start with (though on Sundays some of us, for several years, wore an approximation.....)
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Kerren - I deleted my first reply to this - I thought it might be censored! Are you thinking of our coatfrocks by any chance? They were the best bit of our uniform, with the possible exception of the Harris Tweed coats.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Of course. The coatfrock was supposed (I guess) to be a sort of female approximation to the Houseycoat but while the boys wear/wore theirs all the time, ours was reserved for Sundays. I didn't include the marvellous Harris Tweed coats in my thinking, because the boys never had anything like that.....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

for some odd reason I liked wearing my "grey" - it was one of the most comfy things I've ever worn! and I saw something similar in a shop just a few days ago...I was sorely tempted.....

I did like wearing the housey coats, too - they were warm and comfy but they tore bigs holes in your tights - around the ankles!
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

mvgrogan wrote:for some odd reason I liked wearing my "grey" - it was one of the most comfy things I've ever worn! and I saw something similar in a shop just a few days ago...I was sorely tempted.....
NO WAY! :lol: :lol: :lol:
mvgrogan wrote:I did like wearing the housey coats, too - they were warm and comfy but they tore bigs holes in your tights - around the ankles!
Did they? :shock: I don't remember that happening to me :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

No sexism was intended by the author of this thread, okay?

There were fewer girls at CH Hertford than there were boys at CH Horsham in the old days, so I didn't see that there'd be any greater lack of uniform-availability for girls at CH's wardrobe today than there might've been at Hertford in the past. But the availabity of boys' uniforms must surely have been halved since the early 80s.

As for my use of the term 'Houseycoat', I was using it to denote both male and female coats. Are you telling me (horrors!) that the term isn't applied to girls' coats? Egad.

I suspect that the 'OBs in Houseycoats' weekend would only work well if it were allowed to function as a complete social leveller. No participants should be allowed to allude either to what they do for a living or to how much they earn, so as to ensure a level social playingfield and kill any chance of company directors teaming up and talking business all weekend.

I think it'd be a pretty cracking idea, as long as we didn't all immediately revert to a mental age of 13 and start calling our peers by their long-buried, deeply insulting nicknames.

Maybe someone could even arrange some bogus lessons for us....and an Arts Centre full of pole-dancers....plus a Daniel O'Donnell concert for the mentally-decayed....and an enormous beer tent for JR and Richard Ruck.
Last edited by Chrissie Boy on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

mvgrogan wrote:for some odd reason I liked wearing my "grey" - it was one of the most comfy things I've ever worn! and I saw something similar in a shop just a few days ago...I was sorely tempted.....
Pray tell me what your grey was Maria? It can't have been the grey dresses we wore after the coatfrocks went, as they didn't last long.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Yes they did, they were the Sunday uniform for about 8 years, then they became the everyday uniform until the merger.

I think I will pass on Daniel O'Donnell (whoever he is?)and join JR and RR in the beer tent.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Yes they did, they were the Sunday uniform for about 8 years, then they became the everyday uniform until the merger.

I think I will pass on Daniel O'Donnell (whoever he is?)and join JR and RR in the beer tent.

Sounds good to me !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:Yes they did, they were the Sunday uniform for about 8 years, then they became the everyday uniform until the merger
I don't think I knew that, Mary. Does that mean that house ties in different colours went?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I can't remember my tights, laddering, ---- but then, as has been pointed out, some OBs (Male only of course !) are of fading memories (Now who's being sexist ?) :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:Yes they did, they were the Sunday uniform for about 8 years, then they became the everyday uniform until the merger
I don't think I knew that, Mary. Does that mean that house ties in different colours went?
I didn't know that either. You couldn't wear a tie with a grey :shock: Even the V1 form?

Just Sunday in a grey and those weird black buckle-y shoes was enough.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

At some point during my time at Hertford the navy blue tunics became gym tunics only, and the greys started to be used for every day - with the same blouses and house ties already in everyday use. That was when the royal blue sacks and cherry red blazers <spit> were introduced for Sundays.

The sixth form uniform remained the same except that the skirts changed from all round pleated to box pleats at the front. But otherwise it was unchanged and the sixth form didn't wear house ties.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75