University of Birmingham

Want to contact someone who's been to the Uni you're thinking of going to?
Old Blues - post here if you're prepared to offer advice/support to someone thinking of going to your Uni...

Moderator: Moderators

Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

University of Birmingham

Post by Hannoir »

I am also more than happy to give people info about the University of Birmingham.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

Me, too! I was involved in the Student Admissions' Service ("Go Commando, join the SAS") - my band of trusty volunteers and I recruited, trained and co-ordinated the student staff who assisted 10,000 visitors at various University Open Days and other admissions events. We also represented the Uni at Higher Education Fairs in Birmingham and gave regular presentations on Higher Education to schools.

Not that anyone at CH ever got back to me about my offer of a talk on HE or Brum... maybe they heard the (true) rumours that being part of the SAS meant sitting in a warm office drinking tea and sending other people out into the rain to do campus tours on Wednesday afternoons?!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Can anyone explain why CH do seem to be so reluctant to take-up offers from Old Blues to come and speak, or input with the kids, giving advice about uni's, careers etc.etc?

This seems to be a recurring theme.....

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

interestingly enough havent got a clue have offered to go back and talk about gap years...

more on birmingham....as i was brief before...and doing open days this week..
the city is ace theres something for everyone here, be it art, all types of music, immense shopping, cinema..also very central so its easy to get places and megabus leaves from near the campus too.
the uni is in the russell group so is good, pretty research intensive, founder member of the U21 group, which is a group of international unis enabling ppl to study abroad (like myself) good international links, good union (the first purpose built one!).....oh accom is pretty nice too! well the one i was in was!

thats enough for tonight.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

jtaylor wrote:Can anyone explain why CH do seem to be so reluctant to take-up offers from Old Blues to come and speak, or input with the kids, giving advice about uni's, careers etc.etc?

This seems to be a recurring theme.....

J
I wonder who the careers person is now?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Jenny L-C wrote:the genius of INS
Oh dear...
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

oh dear oh dear...

what's next, putting him in charge of a bunch of teenage boys with assault rifles? no wait, they've been there, done that.
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

INS is?
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
tomday55
2nd Former

Visiting the uni

Post by tomday55 »

I'm looking at going to uni around 20 - 21 April.
Does anyone know of good hostels/B&B's for cheap student prices??
Trying to do all my uni's as cheap as possible!!
Any ideas would be welcomed,
thanks,
tom
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

TALKS AT THE SCHOOL

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

jtaylor wrote:Can anyone explain why CH do seem to be so reluctant to take-up offers from Old Blues to come and speak, or input with the kids, giving advice about uni's, careers etc.etc? This seems to be a recurring theme.....
As a matter of interest, I wrote to the school about 6-8 weeks ago, pointing out that the current NATO commander in Afghanistan is a Royal Marines major-general Old Blue and suggesting that the school might ask him to give a talk on his return, and offering to put them in touch. Definitely not as a recruiting gimmick, but to give an insider's view into a country about which very few people in the West know anything at all. I have not yet received a reply and have long since stopped holding my breath!
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

This might be the sort of thing for a "Grecians Lecture" - Alan Smith is the person to contact.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

jtaylor wrote:INS is?
Ian Stannard aka westguncopse
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99