Sentence of Peter Webb referred to Court of Appeal

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

aliburns
3rd Former

Re: Sentence of Peter Webb referred to Court of Appeal

Post by aliburns »

deleted
Last edited by aliburns on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

rockfreak wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:41 pm Corporal punishment may have been par for the course at that time but I agree with Michael Scuffil that some housemasters seemed to take a vicarious pleasure in laying it on while others hardly beat at all. I date from an age when many people in authority seemed to subscribe to the Christian doctrine of original sin: children are born evil little sods so need goodness beaten into them. A savage beating for a minor misdemeanour can leave someone with a seething resentment of authority and society, just as much as a serious grope.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Richard Dawkins once recollected that when at his boarding school a master slyly slid his hand up his shorts. Dawkins commented that he hadn't been madly emotionally scarred by this and brushed it off as being part of life's rich (boarding school) pattern. This incurred anger among other commentators who accused him of trying to diminish the seriousness of these offences. Both sides have a point in my opinion. There are gradations of groping and back then, as we're saying, there was the physical punishment to contend with as well. When Sejintenej was given the slipper by Kit (often) was it intended to really hurt or was it a kind of ritual humiliation? Humiliation comes under many covers, not just sexual, and in my opinion the boarding schools then were very good at it. I've often felt that there is a board game (like Monopoly) to be produced which would sell well to the likes of us. "Avoid lecherous lunge by sports coach. Move on five squares". This debate is not dead by a long chalk, I predict. Gradations of Groping. This could be floated as a degree course at uni. It could replace Oxford's useless signature PPE course.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:03 pm When Sejintenej was given the slipper by Kit (often) was it intended to really hurt or was it a kind of ritual humiliation? Humiliation comes under many covers, not just sexual, and in my opinion the boarding schools then were very good at it.
I had and have no doubt whatsoever that the intention was to hurt. I have no reason to think that Kit went in for humiliation and there were occasions when he was very positive towards me praisewise in public as well as private

OTOH I have received attempts to humiliate me which failed because of my CH background - I had learned to simply ignore the person
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

rockfreak wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:03 pm Richard Dawkins once recollected that when at his boarding school a master slyly slid his hand up his shorts. Dawkins commented that he hadn't been madly emotionally scarred by this and brushed it off as being part of life's rich (boarding school) pattern. This incurred anger among other commentators who accused him of trying to diminish the seriousness of these offences. Both sides have a point in my opinion. There are gradations of groping and back then, as we're saying, there was the physical punishment to contend with as well. When Sejintenej was given the slipper by Kit (often) was it intended to really hurt or was it a kind of ritual humiliation? Humiliation comes under many covers, not just sexual, and in my opinion the boarding schools then were very good at it. I've often felt that there is a board game (like Monopoly) to be produced which would sell well to the likes of us. "Avoid lecherous lunge by sports coach. Move on five squares". This debate is not dead by a long chalk, I predict. Gradations of Groping. This could be floated as a degree course at uni. It could replace Oxford's useless signature PPE course.
I registered to respond to this post; I attended CH in the 1980s. I also had a Dawkins-esque experience during this time, which didn't involve any of the former staff members currently up before the beak.

I don't consider myself particularly scarred by the experience, I remember being aware at the time that there were probably others who had suffered much worse evils than I.

The gentleman in question will probably consider himself to have dodged a bullet, and I suspect he is probably correct, given the omertà that obtains around such cases.

Corporal punishment was a dying art by then and the Children's Act was just around the corner. I remain convinced that by this time, the remaining enthusiasts of the gym slipper and other tools of the trade were precisely those - "confirmed bachelors" or otherwise - who derived some gratification from its administration.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

rockfreak wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:41 pm Corporal punishment may have been par for the course at that time but I agree with Michael Scuffil that some housemasters seemed to take a vicarious pleasure in laying it on while others hardly beat at all. I date from an age when many people in authority seemed to subscribe to the Christian doctrine of original sin: children are born evil little sods so need goodness beaten into them. A savage beating for a minor misdemeanour can leave someone with a seething resentment of authority and society.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:55 pm
rockfreak wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:41 pm Corporal punishment may have been par for the course at that time but I agree with Michael Scuffil that some housemasters seemed to take a vicarious pleasure in laying it on while others hardly beat at all. I date from an age when many people in authority seemed to subscribe to the Christian doctrine of original sin: children are born evil little sods so need goodness beaten into them. A savage beating for a minor misdemeanour can leave someone with a seething resentment of authority and society.
You must think this quote of yours is great, as you keep recycling it. But it seems more autobiographical. Who savagely beat you, such that you’ve become such a class warrior?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I recycled the quote by mistake in the course of editing it. I'm not really a class warrior. This government is levying class war. I can't remember a party so obviously and enthusiastically in cahoots with powerful business and financial interests that work to the detriment of the people.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

https://www.chforum.info/docs/WebbTranscript.pdf

https://www.chforum.info/docs/BurrTranscript.pdf

To view transcript of their Appeals

Looks like pdfs are stored on this forum so apologies if this is old hat.

The Webb transcript provides a lot of detail and raises several important questions:

Amongst others:

1. He confessed to CH that he had assaulted two boys and yet no report was made to the police. Why?

2. The Department of Education only suspended him. Why?

3. And take the reference to a voluntary 5 year break in offending with a sack of salt.

He said he couldn't remember most of the offences but could remember not offending for 5 years?

Most people remember sexual contacts when they have lived and worked together.
Last edited by AMP on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:39 pm I recycled the quote by mistake in the course of editing it. I'm not really a class warrior. This government is levying class war. I can't remember a party so obviously and enthusiastically in cahoots with powerful business and financial interests that work to the detriment of the people.
YOU DON'T SEEM TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND that it is business which provides jobs which give the workforce money to buy food, 45" TVs and foreign holidays etc. Look back at previous opposition governments and how they wasted money left, right and centre with no permanent benefit. they even got us into greater sh*t with the EU by dropping the requirement for unanimity in decisions. Just look at how the present government has so reduced unemployment and at the same time reduced debt so that the interest saved can be spent for the benefit of the population.

Of course business cannot fund big projects by itself - think of the Crossrail, HS2, the Lower Thames Crossing, the demand for more housing etc. etc. etc. It is the skilled people of the City who collect the money from many sources and make it available to carry out such exercises.

Just one tiny statistic; in one typical month (I'm going back in time) this country imported £1200 million of goods. The ONE SQUARE MILE of the City brought in £400million in profits from abroad in that same month to partially pay for those imports. How much did the rest of the UK's 94,259 square miles bring in? - far far less than £800 million which resulted in greater debts to foreign countries. The UK (like every other country) NEEDS the financial skills simply to survive and it was your friends who f****d up the City for no valid reason when steps were being taken to control the problem..
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

The University of Manchester has researched that everything the City of London gained for the exchequer in the boom years before 2007 was then massively wiped out by all the money that had to be paid to bail them out. And of course the economy has still not properly recovered. As far as the rest of the economy and its contribution is concerned: Churchill after the war talked about "proud finance and humble manufacturing". In other words the tendency of the City to see itself as an inward-facing speculators' paradise rather than a source of seedcorn investment for other more useful and stable sectors, as would be the case in some other countries. But things got much worse when our friend Nigel Lawson deregulated finance in 1986. What happened then? Straight away a share crash in 1987 followed by scandals such as Barings, BCCI and the pension misselling scandals. A full-blown crash in 1990 as the boom in personal credit hit a ceiling, and later under a barely disguised Thatcherite government headed up by Blair and Brown, the same thing happened only this time the banks went down on the back of it, the first "run on the banks" for a century and a half. Who set it off? Why Northern Rock, once a stable building society in my youth but then a Lawsonite "all-in-one" bank after the craze for demutualisation took hold. Both major parties are culpable but Thatcher and Lawson let the genie out of the bottle.

I have to take issue with another point in your post. The present government has reduced the month-by-month spending account (known as the Public Sector Net Cash Requirement) to roughly what it was under Labour before the crash (two percent) but the national debt that you talk of has actually ballooned to 85 percent and been there for nine years. Under New Labour it was somewhere over forty percent before 2007 - par for the course by EU standards. As far as employment figures go, a job of any sort is no use if you can't live on it. Many jobs today pay rubbish money, are insecure and you can end up paying half your salary in rent, unlike when we were younger when rents were controlled. If you are going to contest these things on this site can I suggest that you read proper newspapers (the Guardian, Indie and FT are the only serious independent broadsheets these days) and in any case back them up by studying the independent research data (OECD, ONS, Markit etc) on Wiki.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

Can we get back to the matter at hand instead of resurrecting an off-topic dispute from last year? AMP just made some interesting comments.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

AMP wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:24 pm
He said he couldn't remember most of the offences but could remember not offending for 5 years?

Most people remember sexual contacts when they have lived and worked together.
Why? Drink. Or a defence strategy (?)
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

bakunin wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:59 pm Can we get back to the matter at hand instead of resurrecting an off-topic dispute from last year? AMP just made some interesting comments.
Agreed. I can’t find the transcript though, Google has failed me. Can a link be provided as the documents are in the public domain?