Robert Sillett MBE of Billingshurt

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Re: Robert Sillett MBE of Billingshurt

Post by Pe.A »

I liked him. Genial bloke.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

What does giving tangents mean?

What was the comment he made about Tom Jeffers?

thanks
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

LHA wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:16 am What does giving tangents mean?
Using a ruler, striking downwards edgewise in a slicing motion, so tangentially (?) on the body rather than directly.

I've confused myself with this description, so I hope it makes sense! :mrgreen:

Also, apologies for accidentally 'liking' your post, and then removing the like.

(Think I'm going to have to go back to bed for an hour or two...)
Jabod2
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jabod2 »

LHA wrote: ↑

Using a ruler, striking downwards edgewise in a slicing motion, so tangentially (?) on the body rather than directly.
Having been in Barnes A during Bob's tutorship, I heard tell of his description of a tangent as 'a straight line bisecting a curve', demonstrated on the curve of the buttock. Otherwise known as bacon slicing, painful without causing visible damage when demonstrated experimentally amongst ourselves! This was administered through clothing... We reckoned Tanya was named so due to the similarity with tangent!

I also recall a miscreant being summoned into the lav ends for talking after lights out (probably compounded by cheek when caught).Three shocking cracks were heard from the slipper that Bob was seen to remove as he followed the culprit in. From the demeanour of the 'victim' (Ian Shaw?) immediately afterwards we suspected that the target was a windowsill, not anything softer and done for effect.

I also recall that his biology lab on open days had a dissected sheep's skull at the entrance, for maximum effect. We thought he had a dark sense of humour. I don't have any negative views or stories of him from that time. Quite the opposite - I recall him opening his house for at least one party for us. I remember his (justifable) puzzlement of Stephan Kukowski's (now Shakespeare) choice of Capatin Beefheart's Clear Spot for the music at one - many years later I 'got' Beefheart!
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Jabod2 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:03 pm
LHA wrote: ↑

many years later I 'got' Beefheart!
Always a satisfying moment when one finally 'gets' Beefheart.... :D
CLang
2nd Former

Post by CLang »

Does anyone know why he was 'compulsorily' retired at age 61?

I was in his very first biology class after he joined the staff. I always found him very likeable and a very good teacher-he got me through the exam, and I wasn't one of the brightest in those days. (58-66 Prep B/Thorn A)

I don't know about the dissected goat's head, but I do remember well that I helped dissect the vicar's (Rev. Pullen's) cat!

I'm truly sorry to hear about his allegedly covering up abuse - surprised and shocked. If true, of course, he deserves his comeuppance.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

CLang wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:58 pm Does anyone know why he was 'compulsorily' retired at age 61?
I don't know if the following is fully accurate, but a former staff member, with whom I keep in occasional contact, told me that following the tragic death of Clive Kemp in 2004, the school got firmer in terms of encouraging teachers to retire once they hit a certain age, rather than letting them carry on for as long as they wanted past the retirement age.

Although I think Sillett retired a few years earlier than that anyway?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Teachers at the school often retired at 60 until fairly recently I think. (Wasn’t this a standard teacher retirement age?)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99