Squeaker John Bercow

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Squeaker John Bercow

Post by J.R. »

A laugh a joke or a Traitor.

Discuss.

I reserve my comments.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Squeaker John Bercow

Post by michael scuffil »

Probably the best Speaker in our lifetime* (even better than Betty Boothroyd). Someone has to enforce the constitution, and clearly the PM doesn't seem minded to. It is of course open to parliament to change a 400-year-old rule (which everyone agrees is there for a good reason), but the Rule of Law implies that while laws can be changed, they mustn't be broken.
It is of course ironic that while it seems okay to keep asking parliament until you get the 'right' result, some people don't seem to want to apply the same principle to the people. This is all the more strange because while parliament this week consists of the same people as it did a month ago, the electorate is not the same as it was in June 2016, since when about 1.5 million people have died, and about the same number have come on to the register. 'Delivering on the referendum result' means 'pleasing the dead'.

*his wife, I agree, is an embarrassment
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I agree with you, Michael on everything you said. He is a bit theatrical but .... that's his style. He is there to uphold Parliament and that is what he does.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

He knows his job, and his judgement seems sound. There’s good proof however that he’s a bully and a bit of a prick.

Traitor? That’s a word a lot of gammons seem to be using very loosely at the moment...
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

michael scuffil wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:36 am Probably the best Speaker in our lifetime* (even better than Betty Boothroyd). Someone has to enforce the constitution, and clearly the PM doesn't seem minded to. It is of course open to parliament to change a 400-year-old rule (which everyone agrees is there for a good reason), but the Rule of Law implies that while laws can be changed, they mustn't be broken.
It is of course ironic that while it seems okay to keep asking parliament until you get the 'right' result, some people don't seem to want to apply the same principle to the people. This is all the more strange because while parliament this week consists of the same people as it did a month ago, the electorate is not the same as it was in June 2016, since when about 1.5 million people have died, and about the same number have come on to the register. 'Delivering on the referendum result' means 'pleasing the dead'.

*his wife, I agree, is an embarrassment
Yes, and let's hope that the 1.5 million who have died are Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph readers and that the new voters are followers of Vice News and James O'Brien on LBC. In my days on magazines whenever I was introduced to reporters off the Mail, Express or Telegraph (which was always known mockingly as the Torygraph by the people who worked on it) they would always look a bit shamefaced and tell you that not everyone on the paper shared the reactionary opinions of the proprietor and editor. If they were off the Sun they never looked shamefaced because they wouldn't have known how to.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:56 pm
Yes, and let's hope that....................... the new voters are followers of Vice News and James O'Brien on LBC.
You must be joking. LBC had some labour MP pontificating about how EU rules would not allow new immigrants to get to the UK and cited texamples from Germany and France. He totally ignored the fact that those immigrants who went to some other countries would immediately have the absolute right to come to the UK and have all our benefits. LBC completely failed to pull him up over misleading listeners which is condemnation of that MP , his party and LBC
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!