Here's a hypothetical

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

richardb
Forum Moderator

Re: Here's a hypothetical

Post by richardb »

His criminality extends beyond that Max.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

max_ratcliffe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 am While the rolling eyes emoji isn't helpful, I think that I agree with Pe A.

What did McCall actually do here? A clumsy pass by an older man on another man. McCall could very reasonably claim that yes, he made a pass but stopped as soon as he realised that his attentions were not well received.

Doesn't mean that it was any less unpleasant for Pete (and, no doubt, desperately embarrassing for both parties), but there's no child abuse here. As part of an overall pattern of behaviour, it doesn't look great, and certainly the drinks parties look foolish through the lens of this subsequent pass.

But I can't see how you'd ever get someone extradited for this.
Have a search on the forum for McCall’s name and see past posts.
max_ratcliffe
3rd Former

Post by max_ratcliffe »

DazedandConfused wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:43 pm
max_ratcliffe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 am While the rolling eyes emoji isn't helpful, I think that I agree with Pe A.

What did McCall actually do here? A clumsy pass by an older man on another man. McCall could very reasonably claim that yes, he made a pass but
<>
Yeah, fair enough.

Some of the reactions to Pete's post (if taken in isolation) border on the homophobic, but in the context of all the other allegations, I can see why people are saying what they are.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

max_ratcliffe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:09 pm
DazedandConfused wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:43 pm

What did McCall actually do here? A clumsy pass by an older man on another man. McCall could very reasonably claim that yes, he made a pass but
<>
Yeah, fair enough.

Some of the reactions to Pete's post (if taken in isolation) border on the homophobic, but in the context of all the other allegations, I can see why people are saying what they are.
I can see that reading Pete’s post in isolation looks that way, unfortunately I think the reality is far murkier.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

max_ratcliffe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:27 pm
richardb wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:21 am I am afraid Max that there is more to it than a clumsy pass on an older man.
Not really from the way that Pete described it. Trying it on with an ex-pupil, over 18 and twice his size, is not much of a crime.
marty wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:27 am
max_ratcliffe wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 am What did McCall actually do here? A clumsy pass by an older man on another man. McCall could very reasonably claim that yes, he made a pass but stopped as soon as he realised that his attentions were not well received.
I think you'll find it was a similar "clumsy pass" on a male pupil that facilitated his exit from the school.
This is obviously totally different, especially if the pupil was a minor.
Whether the pupil was a minor is indeed a good question. I've always had a mental image of the pupil in my head, and am sure he was on his Grecians at the time. Whether that was the reason for the case not being escalated past the school's disciplinary system, who knows...?
jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

There's a "physics professor" McCall mentioned in this blog post: https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers ... -part-367/.

Content warning: website is about the joys of "whoremongering" in Bangkok and almost certainly contains "adult material".
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

jakew wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:09 pm There's a "physics professor" McCall mentioned in this blog post: https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers ... -part-367/.

Content warning: website is about the joys of "whoremongering" in Bangkok and almost certainly contains "adult material".
Good God, how do you find this stuff?? 😆
(Or maybe best not to ask ...)
You and Otter could go into business and solve all the world's most tantalising mysteries with your incredible powers of detection.
jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

Another one, here's a blog written by a guy who likes to go on holiday by himself in Pattaya and happens to have an old friend named Richard McCall! https://petestravels.wordpress.com/2017 ... ard-bound/
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

jakew wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:34 pm Another one, here's a blog written by a guy who likes to go on holiday by himself in Pattaya and happens to have an old friend named Richard McCall! https://petestravels.wordpress.com/2017 ... ard-bound/
Hmmm...ok. For anyone who doesnt know, let's just say that Pattaya hasnt got a particularly good reputation...
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jakew wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:34 pm Another one, here's a blog written by a guy who likes to go on holiday by himself in Pattaya and happens to have an old friend named Richard McCall! https://petestravels.wordpress.com/2017 ... ard-bound/
An interesting thread link.

Any connection, one wonders ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

J.R. wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:51 pm Any connection, one wonders ??
Probably just a coincidence; after all, Richard McCall is a pretty common name, especially in Bangkok.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Should it be the right person, it would show he was still
alive in 2017.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Where IS Miss Marple when you really need her ??
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

J.R. wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:19 pm Where IS Miss Marple when you really need her ??
She'd have all the answers plus a pair of knitted socks within the hour. In the meantime, never mind Holmes & Watson, Morse & Lewis (or Turner & Hooch), newest kids on the detection block are Otter & Jake 🔎
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Janey Jam-Jar wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:03 pm
J.R. wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:19 pm Where IS Miss Marple when you really need her ??
She'd have all the answers plus a pair of knitted socks within the hour. In the meantime, never mind Holmes & Watson, Morse & Lewis (or Turner & Hooch), newest kids on the detection block are Otter & Jake 🔎
Unfortunately, my detective time is lessening due to age and health.