Ken Grimshaw

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Ken Grimshaw

Post by TMF »

Pe.A wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:52 pm BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREING...!!!!!
I think that you mean: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING...!!!!!

This is the elongated form of boring. Do not feel bad, your English master probably departed at an inopportune moment, or failed to administer the correct amount of corporal punishment, for you to retain this information.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

TMF wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:48 pm
Pe.A wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:52 pm BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREING...!!!!!
I think that you mean: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING...!!!!!

This is the elongated form of boring. Do not feel bad, your English master probably departed at an inopportune moment, or failed to administer the correct amount of corporal punishment, for you to retain this information.
I know - but it looked like Boo Ring, which of course would be silly...
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

Hi Ken,

Thank you for posting here. A few questions which may be of general interest and helpful to some ex-pupils follow.

Ken, were you acquainted with McCall at CH? I ask because you both went to Thailand at some point - McCall left CH suddenly after 'after being caught trying to lure a boy up to his flat': https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... 74#p143274 I wondered if you could share any information on this topic? Were you aware of McCall's departure and its cause? Were you in touch with McCall following his departure by any chance?

Ken, you said you were 'in danger of becoming disillusioned' ... 'after 19 largely very enjoyable years' and departed Eastward. Was there any specific reason or incident that led you to choose Thailand after 'largely very enjoyable years'? Any thoughts about alternative schools in the UK or Europe? Or alternative professions?

According to various stories on this site, you were a 'corporal punishment' practitioner, e.g. here: 'I can clearly recall Ken Grimshaw showing a bunch of us squits in Maine B his punishment log, in 1990 or 91.': https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... 29#p142729 - do you still have this log? If not, what became of it? Any comments on the effectiveness of corporal punishment. Was it permitted in Thailand during your tenure?

I would be interested in knowing your views on the relationship between corporal punishment and the sexual abuse of children - which has been written about by e.g. Joy Schaverien.

At some point, Golfer noted a relationship or animosity between you, Ken, and McCall: 'I had to smile when I heard that at an Old Blues' Golf meeting that ERM had teamed up with Ken Grimshaw in setting up a school in the Far East. It might be true but you could knock me down with a feather if it was....': https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... 35#p143335

Any comments on that statement by Golfer?

Did you see any problems with child abuse in Bangkok? Apparently? A possible abuser went to the Shrewsbury school there in the 1990s.

https://aseannow.com/topic/390536-ameri ... -thailand/
Michael Bond extradited, now in Louisville
Posted: Aug 13, 2010
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB Fox 41) -- A former YMCA counselor who was indicted for sexually abusing four boys at a summer camp 20 years ago has been extradited to Louisville.
43-year-old Michael Bond had fled to Thailand, but sources with the Commonwealth Attorney's Office confirmed that he returned to the states early last month and turned himself in to Atlanta Police last month.
He was a teacher at Shrewsbury International, teaching the same age group as he is accused of abusing ! He openly consorted with his younger boyfriend, but the school took no notice. Now it is out in the open, the headmaster has been very supportive of him, especially in a number of blogs in the US - see http://www.whas11.com/news/Alleged-chil ... 03644.html (I wonder why...).
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

TMF wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:43 pm Hi Ken,

Thank you for posting here. A few questions which may be of general interest and helpful to some ex-pupils follow.

Ken, were you acquainted with McCall at CH? I ask because you both went to Thailand at some point - McCall left CH suddenly after 'after being caught trying to lure a boy up to his flat': https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... 74#p143274 I wondered if you could share any information on this topic? Were you aware of McCall's departure and its cause? Were you in touch with McCall following his departure by any chance?

Ken, you said you were 'in danger of becoming disillusioned' ... 'after 19 largely very enjoyable years' and departed Eastward. Was there any specific reason or incident that led you to choose Thailand after 'largely very enjoyable years'? Any thoughts about alternative schools in the UK or Europe? Or alternative professions?

According to various stories on this site, you were a 'corporal punishment' practitioner, e.g. here: 'I can clearly recall Ken Grimshaw showing a bunch of us squits in Maine B his punishment log, in 1990 or 91.': https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... 29#p142729 - do you still have this log? If not, what became of it? Any comments on the effectiveness of corporal punishment. Was it permitted in Thailand during your tenure?

I would be interested in knowing your views on the relationship between corporal punishment and the sexual abuse of children - which has been written about by e.g. Joy Schaverien.

At some point, Golfer noted a relationship or animosity between you, Ken, and McCall: 'I had to smile when I heard that at an Old Blues' Golf meeting that ERM had teamed up with Ken Grimshaw in setting up a school in the Far East. It might be true but you could knock me down with a feather if it was....': https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... 35#p143335

Any comments on that statement by Golfer?

Did you see any problems with child abuse in Bangkok? Apparently? A possible abuser went to the Shrewsbury school there in the 1990s.

https://aseannow.com/topic/390536-ameri ... -thailand/
Michael Bond extradited, now in Louisville
Posted: Aug 13, 2010
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB Fox 41) -- A former YMCA counselor who was indicted for sexually abusing four boys at a summer camp 20 years ago has been extradited to Louisville.
43-year-old Michael Bond had fled to Thailand, but sources with the Commonwealth Attorney's Office confirmed that he returned to the states early last month and turned himself in to Atlanta Police last month.
He was a teacher at Shrewsbury International, teaching the same age group as he is accused of abusing ! He openly consorted with his younger boyfriend, but the school took no notice. Now it is out in the open, the headmaster has been very supportive of him, especially in a number of blogs in the US - see http://www.whas11.com/news/Alleged-chil ... 03644.html (I wonder why...).
Again, i ask the question : what are you trying to prove...?
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

This has descended into a fairly unsavoury slanging match which perhaps should be concluded. As far as I am concerned, Ken Grimshaw was one of the good guys, an excellent teacher and a good bloke all round. He was also a married man and strangely enough there is nothing wrong or odd about a straight man being friends with a gay man.

As for his alleged 'enthusiasm for corporal punishment', he certainly used the slipper on occasions and I once received 3 'cracks' from him for something I undoubtedly fully deserved. I don't recall him, however, as being a particular enthusiast; in fact I don't recall any teachers who were but there were probably some. My understanding was (and is) that decreasing standards of behaviour amongst staff and pupils led to his disillusionment with Christ's Hospital and his decision to leave. That CH went through a difficult time is recorded in some detail in numerous threads on this forum.
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

Like Ken, Webb was a woodwork teacher, of some renown. I agree, nothing wrong with being friends with anyone. Though it is worth noting that it is not clear from Golfer's remarks whether Ken and McCall were friends.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

loringa wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:18 pm This has descended into a fairly unsavoury slanging match which perhaps should be concluded. As far as I am concerned, Ken Grimshaw was one of the good guys, an excellent teacher and a good bloke all round. He was also a married man and strangely enough there is nothing wrong or odd about a straight man being friends with a gay man.

As for his alleged 'enthusiasm for corporal punishment', he certainly used the slipper on occasions and I once received 3 'cracks' from him for something I undoubtedly fully deserved. I don't recall him, however, as being a particular enthusiast; in fact I don't recall any teachers who were but there were probably some. My understanding was (and is) that decreasing standards of behaviour amongst staff and pupils led to his disillusionment with Christ's Hospital and his decision to leave. That CH went through a difficult time is recorded in some detail in numerous threads on this forum.
Fair comment. Nice mediation.
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

TMF wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:15 pm
Of course, Ken was a 'corporal punishment' enthusiast, as noted on this thread, and here: 'I can clearly recall Ken Grimshaw showing a bunch of us squits in Maine B his punishment log, in 1990 or 91.': https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... 29#p142729 (the log was no doubt carefully archived by CH management).
For the record, I did not note that KHG was a 'corporal punishment enthusiast' - just that he showed us his punishment log book, which I seem to recall came about when we asked a bunch of questions about corporal punishment. I think that house drills (laps around the infirmary loop) were also recorded. I don't recall him expressing any enthusiasm for the good old days. He just wrote the punishments down.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

dsm wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:18 am Just come across this thread. I remember Mr Grimshaw as a young man in the 70s. I was useless at manual work but managed to make a cross in metalwork and a lamp in woodwork which I still have. I notice that two of the teachers were a Mr Perry and Mr Wyncoll (Periwinkle).
Ha ha - hadn't made the periwinkle connection - excellent.

In a similar vein, the art teachers were Mr Penny and Mr Lane - Penny Lane (though not in my eyes or ears - art was, in my opinion, the least well taught subject during my time at CH and pretty much a waste of time). My mother who had been to Art College in the 1950s was horrified at the low standard, particularly compared with the standard of craftsmanship demonstrated in the Manual School.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

loringa wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:10 pm
In a similar vein, the art teachers were Mr Penny and Mr Lane - Penny Lane (though not in my eyes or ears - art was, in my opinion, the least well taught subject during my time at CH and pretty much a waste of time). My mother who had been to Art College in the 1950s was horrified at the low standard, particularly compared with the standard of craftsmanship demonstrated in the Manual School.
In my time it was some woman who was also a totally incompetent and apparently totally disinterested art so-called teacher.

As a parallel to your mother my "patron" was brought up in France, was an SOE instructor, fluent in French, German and other languages and branded my French teacher as not knowing the first thing about the language. The idiots even gave me a pass at O level!. If I condemn the teaching of French then, my grand daughter came to stay days after getting a B in GCSE French and after 5 evenings with the local French kids reckoned she learned more french in those five days than in the years up to GCSE.

IF any CH teacher is reading this he or she should research the actions in learning French in British Colombia - a stunning success. (OK so Canadian French is based on the patois of towns in north west France whilst modern French is based on the Isle de France patois and Belgian French has its differences as well)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

I once received 3 'cracks' from him for something I undoubtedly fully deserved
Do corporal punishment enthusiasts, practitioners, and apologists generally think that there own children should be beaten by strangers? Do they use corporal punishment themselves to this day?
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

TMF wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:20 pm
Do corporal punishment enthusiasts, practitioners, and apologists generally think that there own children should be beaten by strangers? Do they use corporal punishment themselves to this day?
Were you beaten as a child, or just dropped on your head...?
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:33 am
Do corporal punishment enthusiasts, practitioners, and apologists generally think that their [corrected!] own children should be beaten by strangers? Do they use corporal punishment themselves to this day?
So - no problems having your children beaten then, Pe.A?
Last edited by TMF on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

TMF wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:30 am
Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:33 am

Do corporal punishment enthusiasts, practitioners, and apologists generally think that their own children should be beaten by strangers? Do they use corporal punishment themselves to this day?
So - no problems having your children beaten then, Pe.A?
It was what it was back then. Why are you asking such pointless questions? You're like a rebel without a point.
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

How about now? Are you happy to have your children beaten by strangers? If no, at what specific date did ''then' become 'now'?