prison releases

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: prison releases

Post by sejintenej »

AMP wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:16 pm I don't think prisoners should be tagged, they should serve their time.

It's not a punishment
And if the prisons are too full, then sentence them to less time.
But let's not pretend that justice is served or we are being tough on crime by tagging them.
I understand it provides flexibility, incentivises good behaviour, reduces the prison bill - but that is an endightment of the system.
And if they are so dangerous they need to be monitored, then don't release them.
We know from Mr Jeffrey Weinstein that they are unreliable. He DID NOT remove his tag. Unfortunately the battery died.
I am one of the hated ?majority who feel that prison should be feared, the idea of the second sentence cause terror and the Americans are right over the third.
I would actually go further; if a person is tried AND CONVICTED for one offence and then tried (even at the same time) for an identical offence then that would be the second etc. As for TV, internet, phones etc, trips outside - you are joking; they are there to be punished, not mollycoddled. I would encourage proper education for a career outside after they do the full time. If they don't obey the rules in prison then add time - a a penalty for their crimes?

Just think of those who assaulted boys at CH; do you really want them to live in comfort at your expense for their crimes?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

sejintenej wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:58 pm
AMP wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:16 pm I don't think prisoners should be tagged, they should serve their time.

It's not a punishment
But let's not pretend that justice is served or we are being tough on crime by tagging them.
I understand it provides flexibility, incentivises good behaviour, reduces the prison bill - but that is an endightment of the system.
And if they are so dangerous they need to be monitored, then don't release them.
We know from Mr Jeffrey Weinstein that they are unreliable. He DID NOT remove his tag. Unfortunately the battery died.
I am one of the hated ?majority who feel that prison should be feared, the idea of the second sentence cause terror and the Americans are right over the third.
I would actually go further; if a person is tried AND CONVICTED for one offence and then tried (even at the same time) for an identical offence then that would be the second etc. As for TV, internet, phones etc, trips outside - you are joking; they are there to be punished, not mollycoddled. I would encourage proper education for a career outside after they do the full time. If they don't obey the rules in prison then add time - a a penalty for their crimes?

Just think of those who assaulted boys at CH; do you really want them to live in comfort at your expense for their crimes?
Alas but for unlimited resources like in the states, yes, although they have gone too far.
Slightest infraction, put someone in solitary for 5 years is commonplace there.
There's plenty of room and if not just build another prison.
No need to worry about containing unrest, just isolate the area via the control room and watch until the fight is over, like gladiators - Troy Kell.
If a prison officer is taken hostage, don't negotiate, just evacuate all staff and let them get on with it, but don't hurt him, otherwise we move in - New Mexico Penetentiary Riot 1980. POs are far better protected in the states
The US ironically reserves it's toughest prison for non violent criminals as well.
All the spies are housed in the super max ADX Florence situated within sight of the Rockies but where the punishments are particularly vindictive.
The ceilings and roofs are designed in such a way as to prevent inmates from ever seeing the sky.
Bishbashbosh
3rd Former

Post by Bishbashbosh »

Been some time since I was on here, even as a lurker.

Dobbie tried to appeal to reduce his sentence from 12 to 10 years. This was refused. Still July 2024.

I don't know anything about any others.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

thanks for the info Bish, hope you are well. Glad his appeal against his lenient sentence was turned down. Did he appeal against just his sentence or his conviction as well. Would be interesting to see a copy if available.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I can't find it at the moment but will keep looking.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Do people think any of the CH prisoners will be released early? Their release isn't 'imminent' however as elderly prisoners, they are at risk from coronovirus. The first prisoner to sadly die the UK was an elderly sex offender, very similar demographic.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

LHA wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 pm Do people think any of the CH prisoners will be released early? Their release isn't 'imminent' however as elderly prisoners, they are at risk from coronovirus. The first prisoner to sadly die the UK was an elderly sex offender, very similar demographic.
Honest answer LHA ?
No Comment.
Certain convicted persons should serve their full sentence.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Webb won't.

Those in open prison are not particularly high risk.

So far as those in other prisons are concerned, I think they will release prisoners serving very short sentences who can be supervised for a short period in the community.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Quick update:

Webb: September 11th 2020
Martin: July 2021
Burr: May 2022
Karim: April 2023
Dobbie: July 2024
Husband: December 2026

However, Webb has a court appearance on July 10th and his new trial is due to start on September 11th!
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

AMP wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:48 pm PEDs according to my calculations:

These assume release at half way point if no prison infractions and then under supervision for the remainder of the sentence.

Burr is different as he is serving an "extended" sentence because he is still considered a danger to children. Two thirds.
Just curious as he's the only one singled out in that respect - but how do they work that one out?
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Pe.A wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:17 pm
AMP wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:48 pm PEDs according to my calculations:

These assume release at half way point if no prison infractions and then under supervision for the remainder of the sentence.

Burr is different as he is serving an "extended" sentence because he is still considered a danger to children. Two thirds.
Just curious as he's the only one singled out in that respect - but how do they work that one out?
I have been told by those more qualified than myself that they use a system called Oasis, which gives an actuarial assessment of risk.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I think it is actually OASys.

Shades of Little Britain. "Computer says ...."
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Quick update:

Webb: March 11th 2021
Burr: May 2022
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Webb: March 11th 2021
Burr: May 2022 released 20th April 2021
Breakwell: November 1st 2032
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

It's not a punishment

We know from Mr Harvey Weinstein that they are unreliable. He DID NOT remove his tag. Unfortunately the battery died.
So what's the difference between releasing them early with tags and imposing a lesser custodial sentence...?