Elizabeth Cairncross

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Re: Elizabeth Cairncross

Post by Pe.A »

jhopgood wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:02 am
tea wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:04 pm My housemaster smiled and said “ah you’re back” when I finally returned late in the evening, so they knew we were missing, but no apology or asking if we were ok that I can remember, I doubt they told my guardian as they never mentioned it to me. Still have anxiety in big cities.
Not quite the same, but when I arrived in Cali, Colombia on my first posting, I sat in a well populated park, and before long I was mugged and unconscious. I recovered and after various adventures, got back to my hotel and phoned my boss, whom I had never met.
I explained what had happened, and he asked if I was ok. When I said "yes", he just replied, "Great, see you on Monday".
For some reason, I expected more, but some people are like that.
Did you stick out like a gringo sore thumb...?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:05 pm
Not quite the same, but when I arrived in Cali, Colombia on my first posting,
First trip to Rio a bloke was coming up behind me "with evil intent". I'd been watching him in shop windows so at "the" moment a quick hard kick in the testes and situation avoided. In 20 years that was the first of four attempts that I know of. Second I saw him watching over a period of time so just went in to a shop, out the back and got a taxi. Third one I was surprise by two men who got the requisite $5 and the last I was with my wife and was pickpocketed. Outside work I had dirty torn jeans and tee shirt so was not too obviously an outsider. It was a question of keeping the eyes open andcopied their normal walk so I went almost everywhere unworried, even on the buses.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

J.R. wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:46 pm
loringa wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:40 pm I'd thank AMP for his post but that button seems to have disappeared!
The thanks button has returned thanks to Julian who has updated the site !
Where...?
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

sejintenej wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:39 pm
Not quite the same, but when I arrived in Cali, Colombia on my first posting,
First trip to Rio a bloke was coming up behind me "with evil intent". I'd been watching him in shop windows so at "the" moment a quick hard kick in the testes and situation avoided. In 20 years that was the first of four attempts that I know of. Second I saw him watching over a period of time so just went in to a shop, out the back and got a taxi. Third one I was surprise by two men who got the requisite $5 and the last I was with my wife and was pickpocketed. Outside work I had dirty torn jeans and tee shirt so was not too obviously an outsider. It was a question of keeping the eyes open andcopied their normal walk so I went almost everywhere unworried, even on the buses.
You were probably being a bit English and walking a bit too quickly compared to everyone else...
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:14 pm

You were probably being a bit English and walking a bit too quickly compared to everyone else...
I was actually sitting on a bench, and was confused when an arm came around from behind me, as it was the typical trick that a friend of mine did when I lived in Costa Rica. There were lots of people around, many close by, so I was lured into a false sense of security. My efforts to struggle against his accomplice who attacked from the front, was to squeeze and I fell unconscious.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
tea
2nd Former

Post by tea »

Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:39 am
tea wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:04 pm
Otter wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:17 am …Omissions are not as strongly prosecutable in England and Wales as in many other jurisdictions. E.g. we don't have a "non-assistance to persons in danger" law, which is common across Europe. In England and Wales, if you walk past a person who is drowning and do nothing, you aren't guilty of anything - unless you have a duty of care to that person (e.g. you're their guardian, teacher, etc.). Otherwise, you have no legal obligation and will not be punished by leaving them to die… I thought a teacher or other school staff was also one of those cases where you have a legal duty of care and can be held liable if you fail to act?
Probably too long ago to sue them if I even could for leaving me and another kid behind in London on a school trip. We were 14/15, (First time alone in a city and not a clue of its geography). Early 90s, no mobile, no money and no clue. Luckily the other kid knew which station we needed to get to for a CH train and a big issue seller let us beg with him to get travel cards, terrifying for a kid from a small rural village.

I don’t remember hearing anything about it from Cairncross the Child Protection Officer, I think we were told off in class for not paying attention to where we were walking in the group on the trip, by the teacher who should have checked we were there before driving off, (after the museum on the walk to the minibuses we were with the group but didn’t notice it split into two and followed the wrong bus group, the teachers had parked at different locations. We were told to go to the other bus which had already left).

My housemaster smiled and said “ah you’re back” when I finally returned late in the evening, so they knew we were missing, but no apology or asking if we were ok that I can remember, I doubt they told my guardian as they never mentioned it to me. Still have anxiety in big cities.
I'm not trying to act as a type of devil's advocate, but what would you have sued them under? Where in London was the trip?
I think I’d typed that after a visit to my doctor and been watching too much American tv. I have no idea where we were, East London I think.
tea
2nd Former

Post by tea »

tea wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:04 pm My housemaster smiled and said “ah you’re back” when I finally returned late in the evening, so they knew we were missing, but no apology or asking if we were ok that I can remember, I doubt they told my guardian as they never mentioned it to me. Still have anxiety in big cities.
Not quite the same, but when I arrived in Cali, Colombia on my first posting, I sat in a well populated park, and before long I was mugged and unconscious. I recovered and after various adventures, got back to my hotel and phoned my boss, whom I had never met.
I explained what had happened, and he asked if I was ok. When I said "yes", he just replied, "Great, see you on Monday".
For some reason, I expected more, but some people are like that.
Wow. Hope things got better.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

tea wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:09 am
Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:39 am
tea wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:04 pm

Probably too long ago to sue them if I even could for leaving me and another kid behind in London on a school trip. We were 14/15, (First time alone in a city and not a clue of its geography). Early 90s, no mobile, no money and no clue. Luckily the other kid knew which station we needed to get to for a CH train and a big issue seller let us beg with him to get travel cards, terrifying for a kid from a small rural village.

I don’t remember hearing anything about it from Cairncross the Child Protection Officer, I think we were told off in class for not paying attention to where we were walking in the group on the trip, by the teacher who should have checked we were there before driving off, (after the museum on the walk to the minibuses we were with the group but didn’t notice it split into two and followed the wrong bus group, the teachers had parked at different locations. We were told to go to the other bus which had already left).

My housemaster smiled and said “ah you’re back” when I finally returned late in the evening, so they knew we were missing, but no apology or asking if we were ok that I can remember, I doubt they told my guardian as they never mentioned it to me. Still have anxiety in big cities.
I'm not trying to act as a type of devil's advocate, but what would you have sued them under? Where in London was the trip?
I think I’d typed that after a visit to my doctor and been watching too much American tv. I have no idea where we were, East London I think.
I'm surprised a Big Issue seller would have parted with his proceeds
tea
2nd Former

Post by tea »

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He didn't give us money, he let us help him sell the magazine and gave us travel cards (that he got by asking commuters if they had finished with them) so that we could get to Victoria station.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

tea wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:38 pm I'm not trying to act as a type of devil's advocate, but what would you have sued them under? Where in London was the trip?
[/quote]

[/quote]

He didn't give us money, he let us help him sell the magazine and gave us travel cards (that he got by asking commuters if they had finished with them) so that we could get to Victoria station.
[/quote]

Should have headed to Soho :D
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:05 pm First trip to Rio a bloke was coming up behind me "with evil intent". I'd been watching him in shop windows so at "the" moment a quick hard kick in the testes and situation avoided. In 20 years that was the first of four attempts that I know of. Second I saw him watching over a period of time so just went in to a shop, out the back and got a taxi. Third one I was surprise by two men who got the requisite $5 and the last I was with my wife and was pickpocketed. Outside work I had dirty torn jeans and tee shirt so was not too obviously an outsider. It was a question of keeping the eyes open andcopied their normal walk so I went almost everywhere unworried, even on the buses.
Brazil c a n be a bit dangerous but in my day all they wanted was five bucks or more - less and they could get angry at the waste of time. Imagine a small hotel; car parks alongside reception (a car door width away) and close to and facing the restaurant. Early evening and some friends park there are are immediately threatened with a gun so hand over something minor. The gunmen didn't notice her purse on the back seat.
A work colleague was terrified one day because his wife had not got home in good time after dropping him off for work. He reckoned she had been kidnapped though she was OK in the end.
Best result I saw was on Copacabana beach which is almost infested with sellers. One moment they all dropped all their stuff to chase a thief who had tried to hold up someone. Far more effective than a solitary police officer. I didn't see what they did to him.

Hence my dirty old clothes and lack of a shave!

There are places you go and places you do not go and the logic between the two is strange. My wife couldn't understand it but ....... Big medical conference at the Hotel "E" which is surrounded by high wire fences and apparently good security. At the end of the conference and within the secure area over 95% of delegates had been robbed in one way or another.

I still loved working in Brazil - eventually didn't have to even go through immigration when I arrived each time ( but that was during a previous regime)
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

sejintenej wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:43 pm

I still loved working in Brazil - eventually didn't have to even go through immigration when I arrived each time ( but that was during a previous regime)
Oh ok....friends on the inside...?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Pure unadulterated chance; talking to the uncle of the hostess at a house party and not knowing who he actually was apart from rank!!! When he heard the name a few days later my boss, a Brazilian, went white!
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

sejintenej wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:34 pm

Pure unadulterated chance; talking to the uncle of the hostess at a house party and not knowing who he actually was apart from rank!!! When he heard the name a few days later my boss, a Brazilian, went white!
What was his rank?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Pe.A wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:25 am
sejintenej wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:34 pm

What was his rank?
Answered with name etc by email; a bit sensitive