Brexit

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Re: Brexit

Post by time please »

No more PG Tips to be found anywhere!

Once year ( because of my type of job ) I have to apply to the police and ask that they send to my place of work that they can verify that I have never molested children. Usually this has taken 10 days, presumably the question was sent electronically to all members of the union. But as you can guess this does not apply as regards Britain any more. And a question from the Swedish police to the British ditto is not going to be dealt with quickly. I am not sure that they will even be able to find me as I left in 75.

Just two small effects of the Rule Brittania mob.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

time please says: "No more PG Tips to be found anywhere!"

Not sure if this is meant as a joke or not, but I was in two supermarkets in Torbay this morning and they had absolutely no shortage of PG Tips.

foureyes :shock:
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

I live abroad.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

I have to admit that you have lost me. You said "No more PG Tips to be found anywhere". A positive and seemingly all-embracing statement, to which I replied that there are plenty of PG Tips on sale here in Devon (including half a shelf in Sainsbury's Newton Abbot at 1105 this morning - I checked). You now say that you 'live abroad.' To which I reply, so what? I really do not see what your living abroad has to do with whether or not there is a shortage of PG Tips in the UK.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Foureyes wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:14 pm I have to admit that you have lost me. You said "No more PG Tips to be found anywhere". A positive and seemingly all-embracing statement, to which I replied that there are plenty of PG Tips on sale here in Devon (including half a shelf in Sainsbury's Newton Abbot at 1105 this morning - I checked). You now say that you 'live abroad.' To which I reply, so what? I really do not see what your living abroad has to do with whether or not there is a shortage of PG Tips in the UK.
No more PG Tips to be found anywhere in Sweden I suspect, which is probably the result of the post-Brexit trade-deal, such as it is. Just another small example of the huge benefits to be enjoyed by us all, not just in the UK but in the EU as well!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

loringa wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:33 pm
Foureyes wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:14 pm I have to admit that you have lost me. You said "No more PG Tips to be found anywhere". A positive and seemingly all-embracing statement, to which I replied that there are plenty of PG Tips on sale here in Devon (including half a shelf in Sainsbury's Newton Abbot at 1105 this morning - I checked). You now say that you 'live abroad.' To which I reply, so what? I really do not see what your living abroad has to do with whether or not there is a shortage of PG Tips in the UK.
No more PG Tips to be found anywhere in Sweden I suspect, which is probably the result of the post-Brexit trade-deal, such as it is. Just another small example of the huge benefits to be enjoyed by us all, not just the UK but in the EU as well!
Andrew. Just two very small points:
- when did South Gloucestershire become a colony of Sweden?
- there is such a huge (not) demand for PG Tips in the EU that you should start a movement demanding that the EU pays the UK a huge fortune to export and sell not only PG Tips but also British bangers throughout the EU and enforce the de-bossification of that German pain and the noisy Frog
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

sejintenej wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:30 pm
loringa wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:33 pm No more PG Tips to be found anywhere in Sweden I suspect, which is probably the result of the post-Brexit trade-deal, such as it is. Just another small example of the huge benefits to be enjoyed by us all, not just the UK but in the EU as well!
Andrew. Just two very small points:
- when did South Gloucestershire become a colony of Sweden?
- there is such a huge (not) demand for PG Tips in the EU that you should start a movement demanding that the EU pays the UK a huge fortune to export and sell not only PG Tips but also British bangers throughout the EU and enforce the de-bossification of that German pain and the noisy Frog
This is all starting to get a bit surreal. I don't live in Sweden myself, though I have nothing but happy memories of my visits to that country as a young man. I can't be absolutely certain but I think, however, that 'time please' may do. I am assuming that he is making the point that he, living in an EU country, can no longer find such quintessentially British products as PG Tips in his local supermarket. As only British (processed not produced obviously) tea really tastes the way most Brits like it, I would imagine this is a matter of minor but irritating significance to him.

As a Brit abroad myself, both as an ex-pat and on operations, tea (along with Marmite and a few other products) was one of the things I always brought out with me. I therefore sympathise with 'time please' but would suggest that, when the opportunity presents itself, he changes from PG Tips to Yorkshire Tea.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Never brought Marmite etc from the UK, but at the time of writing, PG Tips, my Costa Rican wife's favourite tea, is still available on the shelves of the local Carrefour etc, here in the Valencian community.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

loringa wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 am As a Brit abroad myself, both as an ex-pat and on operations, tea (along with Marmite and a few other products) was one of the things I always brought out with me. I therefore sympathise with 'time please' but would suggest that, when the opportunity presents itself, he changes from PG Tips to Yorkshire Tea.
There are definitely some British brands that you miss when living the expat life. When we were in Islamabad, the BA man had Walls Pork Sausages and Heinz Baked Beans flown out in his Christmas Hamper. On Boxing Day we had a fun Treasure Hunt ending up at his house for Bangers & mash with beans. People were drooling over it! Some of these said that in normal UK life they never ate either beans or sausages, they did that day!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

jhopgood wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:42 amNever brought Marmite etc from the UK, but at the time of writing, PG Tips, my Costa Rican wife's favourite tea, is still available on the shelves of the local Carrefour etc, here in the Valencian community.
If I've got my geography right, Valencia is a fairly big city and has a busy port, so it should be saved some of the distribution problems that other places have.

The thing I missed most about Oz when I was back in the UK was fruit that tasted like fruit. I don't have that problem in France.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:09 pm
There are definitely some British brands that you miss when living the expat life. When we were in Islamabad, the BA man had Walls Pork Sausages and Heinz Baked Beans flown out in his Christmas Hamper. On Boxing Day we had a fun Treasure Hunt ending up at his house for Bangers & mash with beans. People were drooling over it! Some of these said that in normal UK life they never ate either beans or sausages, they did that day!
In France I was happy with the locally available brands. Lipton's Tea was readily available, not only in the supermarkets but in cafes etc. The one major problem with tea was getting hot tea with cold milk and sugar in a cafe; one day my wife was offered hot tea and hot milk then cold tea with hot milk. Then the waitress understood and served cold tea with no milk. At that point she left the cafe in a huff; her replacement got it right first time which suggests my French was understandable (by that time I even understood the patois and could imitate the accent!). One woman imported stuff but the cost was extortionate so we never bought from her.
The only thing I missed in France was a nice pint of bitter.
Ghana was "different". For example one day the underground web told us the store had butter; it was not available again before I left 15 months later. This was pretty typical there. In Nigeria I was under the support and patronage of the Brazilian ambassador who invited all Brazilians to the embassy on a Thursday because that was the only place with imports, especially drink.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

scrub wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:21 pm
jhopgood wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:42 amNever brought Marmite etc from the UK, but at the time of writing, PG Tips, my Costa Rican wife's favourite tea, is still available on the shelves of the local Carrefour etc, here in the Valencian community.
If I've got my geography right, Valencia is a fairly big city and has a busy port, so it should be saved some of the distribution problems that other places have.

The thing I missed most about Oz when I was back in the UK was fruit that tasted like fruit. I don't have that problem in France.
You are correct except that in Valencia itself PG Tips are difficult to come by, but we have a house on the Costa Blanca, where there are a fair number of Brits, and their tastes are catered for in the local Spanish supermarkets (Mas y Mas, Carrefour etc). So far I have yet to see a shortage of specifically UK products.
Not available in Mercadona, which is a very successful Valencian chain of supermarkets, selling predominantly own brand products.
I have always used local products, and apart from pork pies, which are not available here, don't miss many UK products.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

jhopgood wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:11 pm we have a house on the Costa Blanca, where there are a fair number of Brits, and their tastes are catered for in the local Spanish supermarkets (Mas y Mas, Carrefour etc).
Ah, that would explain it. Having a reliable and sizeable market makes it easier for distributors to get supplies in. Cross-channel shipping, especially if you don't have enough for a full container, is massively frustrating these days. It took us 3 1/2 months to get our furniture and household goods shipped from UK to France. The number of trips per week has gone way down and companies are wary of anything involving split loads. Cost has also gone up.
I have always used local products, and apart from pork pies, which are not available here, don't miss many UK products.
It's the pastry. Very few countries understand hot water suet pastry. France understands the concept of "cold meat in a pastry wrapper", but while the meat texture is OK, the pastry isn't. Oz understands the concept of a meat pie, but not (intentionally) cold and they always go for shortcrust or puff pastry, or a mixture of both. While both make tasty pies, they're not a pork pie.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

So, several months on from our last posts on this site we have a fuel shortage. To say nothing of more empty shelves in the supermarkets (Tesco haven't had stir fries for months and were quite surprised when I pointed this out to them). Bumbling Bozza the Bullingdon Buffoon, Grant Shapps (aka Michael Wood) and others in the Cabinet are trying to make excuses. One social media site reported that someone had chalked up on a garage wall: "If you voted Brexit go to the back of the queue".

How is fuel supply for Banker Brown, out there if deepest Essex? Or indeed for JR, out there in deepest Surrey? Or indeed for head beak Simon, down there in deepest Sussex?
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

scrub wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:29 pm Very few countries understand hot water suet pastry. France understands the concept of "cold meat in a pastry wrapper", but while the meat texture is OK, the pastry isn't.
I have enjoyed some exceptionally delicious patés en croute, and the pastry has been good. Not, it's true, actual hot water suet pastry, but it has come close to the style and texture. The meat has been luxurious, and the overall effect has been every bit as good as a fine pork pie. Mind you, it has been sold for a gourmet price, not a pub food price.

But what has this got to do with anything?
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62