Olympics mania

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

Olympics mania

Post by rockfreak »

Has anyone else wondered why it is that every four years people suddenly get manic about sports that they've either never played, never seen, or indeed ever had the first idea about? I find myself locked into watching esoteric activities that I never knew existed and certainly would never bother watching again. I can understand swimming and diving and the like but why does it have to be synchronised? It's all a bit Esther Williams (remember her?). I've had a better idea than synchronised diving. What about synchronised muff-diving? This would be far more popular and would probably get people all over the world up in the middle of the night (as doesn't happen with the Tokyo games) to see the winner. Mind you I'm not quite sure how you'd decide who had won. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Olympics mania

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:15 pm Has anyone else wondered why it is that every four years people suddenly get manic about sports that they've either never played, never seen, or indeed ever had the first idea about?
It is a change from repetions of Dad's Army, Are you being served" and "in town tonight"
. What about synchronised *********8? This would be far more popular and would probably get people all over the world up in the middle of the night (as doesn't happen with the Tokyo games) to see the winner. Mind you I'm not quite sure how you'd decide who had won. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
Be hard for the cameras to get in close enough to get a good view. Obvious really
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

And I suppose that the Russian team would probably cheat by faking an orgasm.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

I am aware that we frequently hark back to our schooldays on this forum but is this sort of f'naah, f'naah schoolboy 'humour' really appropriate? No wonder most of our female members no longer visit.

... aah, I've just noticed the timings of Mr Redshaw's posts, possibly after a beer or two perhaps?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:04 pm And I suppose that the Russian team would probably cheat by faking an orgasm.
No way; they would get locked up with that journalist. Only Putin has the right to administer orgasms.
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

I'm not really into cycling but every year I look forward to the Tour de France. The views that are shown from that incredible place are wonderful. The commentators here in Scandinavia seem to know every church in every village. I have learnt a bit about cycling as well.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

loringa wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:46 am I am aware that we frequently hark back to our schooldays on this forum but is this sort of f'naah, f'naah schoolboy 'humour' really appropriate? No wonder most of our female members no longer visit.

... aah, I've just noticed the timings of Mr Redshaw's posts, possibly after a beer or two perhaps?

I long ago posted on another thread that Finbarr Saunders was one of my great heroes.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

time please wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:06 pm I'm not really into cycling but every year I look forward to the Tour de France. The views that are shown from that incredible place are wonderful. The commentators here in Scandinavia seem to know every church in every village. I have learnt a bit about cycling as well.
It always came through our neck of the woods - Limoux, Esperaza, Mirepoix (start town some years back), Pamiers, Foix etc etc. Saw it pass two miles from home a few times -hours of closedown and expectation and then all over in 15 seconds. At least the goodies were often useful
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:15 pm Has anyone else wondered why it is that every four years people suddenly get manic about sports that they've either never played, never seen, or indeed ever had the first idea about? I find myself locked into watching esoteric activities that I never knew existed and certainly would never bother watching again. I can understand swimming and diving and the like but why does it have to be synchronised? It's all a bit Esther Williams (remember her?). I've had a better idea than synchronised diving. What about synchronised muff-diving? This would be far more popular and would probably get people all over the world up in the middle of the night (as doesn't happen with the Tokyo games) to see the winner. Mind you I'm not quite sure how you'd decide who had won. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
Synchronised boxing - that would be interesting. So would different weight categories in the synchronised swimming.

Surely part of the charm of watching the Olympics on TV is the chance to see niche things that parade themselves as sports.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:57 am
Synchronised boxing - that would be interesting. So would different weight categories in the synchronised swimming.

Surely part of the charm of watching the Olympics on TV is the chance to see niche things that parade themselves as sports.
Synchronised boxing - isn't that called wrestling?

As for the niche things, I note that breakdancing is on the agenda for Paris 2024 - as a competition too, not merely an exhibition.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

loringa wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:01 am
Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:57 am

Synchronised boxing - isn't that called wrestling?

As for the niche things, I note that breakdancing is on the agenda for Paris 2024 - as a competition too, not merely an exhibition.
er...there's no punching in wrestling...
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:57 amSurely part of the charm of watching the Olympics on TV is the chance to see niche sports.
Fixed it for you, but absolutely true.
It's also good when people discover a "niche sport" because their country medals in it, then go find a local club and discover that not only are there a lot of active participants, but that competitive non-mainstream sports are a lot of fun and also very cool and supportive environments. For the most part.

I haven't watched much of these games, but was slightly puzzled to find surfing was a full event here, yet wasn't even an exhibition one in Sydney. I get why people would want it included, but why Sydney didn't do it first is still a mystery.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

scrub wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:12 pm
Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:57 amSurely part of the charm of watching the Olympics on TV is the chance to see niche sports.
It's also good when people discover a "niche sport" because their country medals in it, then go find a local club and discover that not only are there a lot of active participants, but that competitive non-mainstream sports are a lot of fun and also very cool and supportive environments. For the most part.

I haven't watched much of these games, but was slightly puzzled to find surfing was a full event here, yet wasn't even an exhibition one in Sydney. I get why people would want it included, but why Sydney didn't do it first is still a mystery.
I've wondered why if there is shooting, archery etc, there is no darts. But I suppose the average darts player would not really conform to the aesthetic and ideals of the Olympiad...
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

scrub wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:12 pm

Another good one would be Japanese Kendo - far more entertaining than fencing...
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:05 pmI've wondered why if there is shooting, archery etc, there is no darts. But I suppose the average darts player would not really conform to the aesthetic and ideals of the Olympiad...
To be considered for the Oly games, a sport needs to have a recognised global body and broad international participation, both of which darts has, so there's no reason why it should be considered. You could put a few of the top darts players next to some of the super heavies in weightlifting and wrestling and not notice much difference, so I don't think it's aesthetics that would hold it back.

It used to be that Oly games were amateurs only, so I thought that darts, like snooker, would never make it to games, but with tennis, golf, cycling, and basketball (among others) in there, that wouldn't be a problem these days.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96