Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

LHA
Deputy Grecian

Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by LHA »

This offender is a former pupil of Christ’s Hospital school

https://news.met.police.uk/news/former- ... ces-431691
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by J.R. »

I may have missed it, but what was his sentence ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:38 pm I may have missed it, but what was his sentence ?
Convicted on 2 August - a week ago and held in custody pending sentencing.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

I expect he’s looking at at least 18 years.
Very little information him before he started offending.
Does anyone remember him from CH?
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

LHA wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:42 pm I expect he’s looking at at least 18 years.
Yeah, he was a couple years below me (plum’s year, I think). He came to CH as a promising musician - I was head chorister the year he started and Allwood brought him in to chapel choir almost immediately, which was a rare event. He was in Thorn A with me too. I just remember him being quiet, relatively well liked etc. No clues that something like this would happen. I guess that’s what these events teach us though - it’s not always out in the open and obvious and it’s often the ones you don’t expect.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Thanks for those recollections. A number of pupils with musical talents seemed to retain a connection with the school after leaving. Not sure if he did.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

graham wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:37 pm
Yeah, he was a couple years below me (plum’s year, I think). He came to CH as a promising musician - I was head chorister the year he started and Allwood brought him in to chapel choir almost immediately, which was a rare event. He was in Thorn A with me too. I just remember him being quiet, relatively well liked etc. No clues that something like this would happen. I guess that’s what these events teach us though - it’s not always out in the open and obvious and it’s often the ones you don’t expect.
Would he have known Husband?
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

AMP wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:25 pm
They would have been at the school at the same time, but I don’t remember Husband teaching Juniors, which Ben would have been at the time. Ben did have an older sister at the school, who would have been around the same age as the girl that Husband had a ‘consensual affair’ with.

Likely unrelated, but perhaps worth reading LRL’s recent post on the thread ‘Did anyone know?’ Ben was certainly friends with the girl who had a relationship with a teacher, so he would have seen at least one teacher seemingly getting away with that behaviour.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

DazedandConfused wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:30 pm

They would have been at the school at the same time, but I don’t remember Husband teaching Juniors, which Ben would have been at the time. Ben did have an older sister at the school, who would have been around the same age as the girl that Husband had a ‘consensual affair’ with.

Likely unrelated, but perhaps worth reading LRL’s recent post on the thread ‘Did anyone know?’ Ben was certainly friends with the girl who had a relationship with a teacher, so he would have seen at least one teacher seemingly getting away with that behaviour.
In that case he was probably aware of three masters getting away with it, as he would have known Dobbie through the Chapel Choir.
And Husband and Breakwell lived in York.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

AMP wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:47 pm

In that case he was probably aware of three masters getting away with it, as he would have known Dobbie through the Chapel Choir.
Karim was this era also, so make that four.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

DazedandConfused wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:12 pm
AMP wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:47 pm

Karim was this era also, so make that four.
Make that five.
There's a possibility that another convicted teacher, not necessarily active at that time, was his "life coach?" tutor.
Last edited by AMP on Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Relevance....?
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Don't mean to take the piss, but that really does sound like you're grasping at dots to link up...

You think Breakwell did it because "he would have seen at least one teacher seemingly getting away with that behaviour" when he was a school...??

Jesus wept.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:33 pm

Don't mean to take the piss, but that really does sound like you're grasping at dots to link up...

You think Breakwell did it because "he would have seen at least one teacher seemingly getting away with that behaviour" when he was a school...??

Jesus wept.
Same MO as Husband.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

AMP wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:39 pm
Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:33 pm

Jesus wept.
Same MO as Husband.
What....so they were obviously in cahoots...? Come off it, this is more Clouseau than Poirot...