Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:58 pm
Real Name: Mr Robert G S Totterdell

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by robert totterdell »

Hard evidence is simply hard evidence and I have provided Sussex police with my HARD evidence. There is absolutely no issue as to whether individuals were influenced by events at the school at the time. Knowledge was widespread. When I started looking at the issues my question was 'did anyone know' which in itself allows for influence on pupils by perpetrators. I now have over 20,000 documents and if you could read some of these I think you would have a slightly different mindset. I can not provide these as many are confidential but where ever possible I have provided them to the police.

It will be up to Breakwell whether he wants to use any aspect of coercion in his mitigation - I doubt that he will. JR is right in what he says (hey I don't like as I was abused but haven't abused others) but that is the historical and recent evidence. In the same way many abusers (I would say most) do not work alone - they connect with each other and some of the CH cases actually prove that. Might be worth you looking at all of the cases both heard in court and not heard due to death/suicide etc. but which are available. It might also pay you to understand that I have documentation back to when I started in 2017 from witnesses, victims and actual abusers which most likely suggest that Breakwell was 'groomed'. I say 'likely or maybe' because only a formal witness and in fact Breakwell himself can confirm it. I suggest we all wait for the sentencing on the 14th October.
richardb
Forum Moderator
Posts: 886
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:23 pm
Real Name: Richard Bloomfield
Location: Tyne and Wear

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by richardb »

Which may be the case. We will probably never know.

But if he was abused at school it would offer a potential explanation.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Real Name: RTroni

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by Pe.A »

robert totterdell wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:41 pm Hard evidence is simply hard evidence and I have provided Sussex police with my HARD evidence. There is absolutely no issue as to whether individuals were influenced by events at the school at the time. Knowledge was widespread. When I started looking at the issues my question was 'did anyone know' which in itself allows for influence on pupils by perpetrators. I now have over 20,000 documents and if you could read some of these I think you would have a slightly different mindset. I can not provide these as many are confidential but where ever possible I have provided them to the police.

It will be up to Breakwell whether he wants to use any aspect of coercion in his mitigation - I doubt that he will. JR is right in what he says (hey I don't like as I was abused but haven't abused others) but that is the historical and recent evidence. In the same way many abusers (I would say most) do not work alone - they connect with each other and some of the CH cases actually prove that. Might be worth you looking at all of the cases both heard in court and not heard due to death/suicide etc. but which are available. It might also pay you to understand that I have documentation back to when I started in 2017 from witnesses, victims and actual abusers which most likely suggest that Breakwell was 'groomed'. I say 'likely or maybe' because only a formal witness and in fact Breakwell himself can confirm it. I suggest we all wait for the sentencing on the 14th October.
What, you have hard evidence that Ben Breakwell was schooled, influenced, or manipulated into sleeping with underage girls whilst working as a teacher by people or events that occurred about 25 years ago at the school he used to go to?

You have " documentation back to when I started in 2017 from witnesses, victims and actual abusers which most likely suggest that Breakwell was 'groomed'"?

Did anyone actually know about Breakwell's offending back in 2017? No offence, but I find both these points hard to believe.

If Breakwell used any aspect of coercion in his mitigation I would think that he is an even bigger bellend than I do now. I don't even think Husband, Karim, Webb etc used that line (?)
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Real Name: RTroni

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by Pe.A »

richardb wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:46 pm Which may be the case. We will probably never know.

But if he was abused at school it would offer a potential explanation.
No one is saying that he was abused at the school. The bone of contention is whether it is likely he was schooled, influenced or manipulated into doing the things he did by events or people 25 years ago at the school he himself went to.
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:58 pm
Real Name: Mr Robert G S Totterdell

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by robert totterdell »

Out of interest, I was at CH from Sept 1969 to Jul 1976. When were you there? Did you have no knowledge of various issues with some (a small few) of the teachers and boys or girls? Were you there with Breakwell?
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Real Name: RTroni

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by Pe.A »

robert totterdell wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:41 pm Out of interest, I was at CH from Sept 1969 to Jul 1976. When were you there? Did you have no knowledge of various issues with some (a small few) of the teachers and boys or girls? Were you there with Breakwell?
During the 90s. I knew of the teachers. I didn't know Breakwell personally.
richardb
Forum Moderator
Posts: 886
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:23 pm
Real Name: Richard Bloomfield
Location: Tyne and Wear

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by richardb »

Pe.A wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:20 pm
richardb wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:46 pm Which may be the case. We will probably never know.

But if he was abused at school it would offer a potential explanation.
No one is saying that he was abused at the school. The bone of contention is whether it is likely he was schooled, influenced or manipulated into doing the things he did by events or people 25 years ago at the school he himself went to.
We don't know whether or not he was abused at school. There is no way of knowing. It may however emerge at his sentencing hearing that he was. Or maybe that he was not

The fact that we don't know if he was doesn't mean he wasn't
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Real Name: RTroni

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by Pe.A »

richardb wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:53 pm
Pe.A wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:20 pm
richardb wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:46 pm Which may be the case. We will probably never know.

But if he was abused at school it would offer a potential explanation.
No one is saying that he was abused at the school. The bone of contention is whether it is likely he was schooled, influenced or manipulated into doing the things he did by events or people 25 years ago at the school he himself went to.
We don't know whether or not he was abused at school. There is no way of knowing. It may however emerge at his sentencing hearing that he was. Or maybe that he was not

The fact that we don't know if he was doesn't mean he wasn't
That was never the issue and the cause of the argument here.

My point has always been to stick to the facts and not to grasp at dots to try and link up.
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:58 pm
Real Name: Mr Robert G S Totterdell

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by robert totterdell »

Thank you for this.

When I spoke to Chief Constable York of Sussex police, one of the things he said is that 'we need to join the dots in any case'. Facts can be made obscure or re-imagined. It is often circumstantial evidence that proves a case. Putting dots together is a valid and important part of any Criminal case.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Real Name: RTroni

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by Pe.A »

robert totterdell wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:17 pm Thank you for this.

When I spoke to Chief Constable York of Sussex police, one of the things he said is that 'we need to join the dots in any case'. Facts can be made obscure or re-imagined. It is often circumstantial evidence that proves a case. Putting dots together is a valid and important part of any Criminal case.
...within reason...
richardb
Forum Moderator
Posts: 886
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:23 pm
Real Name: Richard Bloomfield
Location: Tyne and Wear

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by richardb »

Pe.A wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:59 pm
richardb wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:53 pm
Pe.A wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:20 pm

No one is saying that he was abused at the school. The bone of contention is whether it is likely he was schooled, influenced or manipulated into doing the things he did by events or people 25 years ago at the school he himself went to.
We don't know whether or not he was abused at school. There is no way of knowing. It may however emerge at his sentencing hearing that he was. Or maybe that he was not

The fact that we don't know if he was doesn't mean he wasn't
That was never the issue and the cause of the argument here.

My point has always been to stick to the facts and not to grasp at dots to try and link up.
I disagree. You assert: "No one is saying that he was abused at the school". That is a bold assertion as we simply do not know.

But it is one possible explanation of why he became an abuser.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Real Name: RTroni

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by Pe.A »

richardb wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:52 pm
Pe.A wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:59 pm
richardb wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:53 pm

We don't know whether or not he was abused at school. There is no way of knowing. It may however emerge at his sentencing hearing that he was. Or maybe that he was not

The fact that we don't know if he was doesn't mean he wasn't
That was never the issue and the cause of the argument here.

My point has always been to stick to the facts and not to grasp at dots to try and link up.
I disagree. You assert: "No one is saying that he was abused at the school". That is a bold assertion as we simply do not know.

But it is one possible explanation of why he became an abuser.
Richard - no one was saying that.

He liked teenage girls, he crossed the line. He has been hammered for it. That's it.
richardb
Forum Moderator
Posts: 886
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:23 pm
Real Name: Richard Bloomfield
Location: Tyne and Wear

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by richardb »

I am not sure why you dismiss out of hand the notion that people who are abused become abusers.

People who are abused are entitled to remain anonymous unless - like Rob - they choose to waive it. Sadly I have often come abusers admitting to having been abused.

The abuse affects them in many different ways. My latest was a young man who was on a very short fuse as he could not bear being touched and lashes out disproportionately.

Just because he has a pechant for young girls does not mean that he was not abused, although I accept that thus far there is no direct evidence that he was. Abuse at a young age gives some victims a skewed view of sex and they become promiscuous because - for example - they associate sex with love.

We may yet be surprised by what emerges at his sentencing hearing.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Real Name: RTroni

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by Pe.A »

richardb wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:55 pm I am not sure why you dismiss out of hand the notion that people who are abused become abusers.

People who are abused are entitled to remain anonymous unless - like Rob - they choose to waive it. Sadly I have often come abusers admitting to having been abused.

The abuse affects them in many different ways. My latest was a young man who was on a very short fuse as he could not bear being touched and lashes out disproportionately.

Just because he has a pechant for young girls does not mean that he was not abused, although I accept that thus far there is no direct evidence that he was. Abuse at a young age gives some victims a skewed view of sex and they become promiscuous because - for example - they associate sex with love.

We may yet be surprised by what emerges at his sentencing hearing.
Richard- no offence, but that wasn't what the argument was about.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:17 pm
Real Name: Stephen O'Rourke
Location: East Anglia

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by Otter »

Is he related to the former Peele matron with the same surname?
Post Reply