Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by Pe.A »

TMF wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:50 am Do/did you know Breakwell, Pe.A.?

Plum knew him, apparently: https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... 787#p29787
What's that got to do with anything?

What point are you trying to make? i'm sure quite a few people knew him at CH?
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

Pe.A wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:30 pm
TMF wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:50 am Do/did you know Breakwell, Pe.A.?
What's that got to do with anything?
What point are you trying to make?
i'm sure quite a few people knew him at CH?
Just contemplating all the angst.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Will Pe. A float? Does he weigh more than a duck?
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:06 pm Will Pe. A float? Does he weigh more than a duck?
Just don't mention the old blue, convicted predator paedophile, Breakwell...right?
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:06 pm Will Pe. A float? Does he weigh more than a duck?
Both the above comments have gone over my head - I don't get them...
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

TMF wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:28 pm
Just don't mention the old blue, convicted predator paedophile, Breakwell...right?
People can mention him all they want, just as long as they don't make up stories in their heads about who he knew, who taught him the dark arts etc etc
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Pe.A wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:53 pm
People can mention him all they want, just as long as they don't make up stories in their heads about who he knew, who taught him the dark arts etc etc. As i said, it seemed more Clouseau than Poirot...
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Not sure where you get that from. My concern is the apparent assumption he 'learned his trade' at CH and, more importantly, the ambiguous questioning of Pe. A's and others' connection with Breakwell, nothing more.
Pe.A wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:51 pm
Reference Matthew Hopkins and the witch scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:26 pm
Not sure where you get that from. My concern is the apparent assumption he 'learned his trade' at CH and, more importantly, the ambiguous questioning of Pe. A's and others' connection with Breakwell, nothing more.
Reference Matthew Hopkins and the witch scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Just to clarify I was talking about the possibility that Breakwell might have known Husband and Dobbie AFTER he left CH and so far nobody on here has posted that he did not know them after he left CH so the possibility he discussed with them his predelictions post CH and possibly learnt from them is not implausible at the moment. That is what paedos do.
Like some pupils he may have been aware of Husband's and Dobbie's offending whilst he was at CH. It may have influenced him during his formative years if he already had these types of inclinations.But I have not suggested anywhere that he learnt his trade whilst at CH or that CH has turned anybody into a criminal. That would be ridiculous.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

AMP wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:14 pm

Just to clarify I was talking about the possibility that Breakwell might have known Husband and Dobbie AFTER he left CH and so far nobody on here has posted that he did not know them after he left CH so the possibility he discussed with them his predelictions post CH and possibly learnt from them is not implausible at the moment. That is what paedos do.
Like some pupils he may have been aware of Husband's and Dobbie's offending whilst he was at CH. It may have influenced him during his formative years if he already had these types of inclinations.But I have not suggested anywhere that he learnt his trade whilst at CH or that CH has turned anybody into a criminal. That would be ridiculous.
For me, it was the assumptions that I took issue with. We have to proceed with what we do actually know, and there are a lot of mays and might haves in your comments, as well as blanket statements like "That is what paedos do" which I don't think actually add anything useful.

Let's be clear, the only difference between grooming and seduction is the age of consent - I'm sure the techniques are remarkably similar. People have always fancied, and will always fancy 14/15 year old girls. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that, it's the law of the land that counts. Before I get mobbed for that statement, if one checks the ages of consent across Europe they range from between 14-18 - and in a country like Spain, the age of consent up until 1999 was 13. It is what it is - make of that what you will.

My point with that is that someone would not really need much guidance or influence. I'm sure there would have been plenty of similar cases he could have read about in the media since he was at CH, certainly post-Jimmy Savile. Some people abuse their power and their position of trust, give in to temptation, break the law and get found out. Trying to connect disparate dots through time and space back to CH just does not add anything useful.
Last edited by Pe.A on Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Ah, of course...
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

the only difference between grooming and seduction is the age of consent
Seductive groomer or child rapist abusing a position of trust and power. It is all a matter of cultural convention for Breakwell and his acquaintances.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

TMF wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:09 am
the only difference between grooming and seduction is the age of consent
Seductive groomer or child rapist abusing a position of trust and power. It is all a matter of cultural convention for Breakwell and his acquaintances.
What does that actually mean...??
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

It means that when Pe.A says:
Let's be clear, the only difference between grooming and seduction is the age of consent - I'm sure the techniques are remarkably similar. People have always fancied, and will always fancy 14/15 year old girls. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that, it's the law of the land that counts. Before I get mobbed for that statement, if one checks the ages of consent across Europe they range from between 14-18 - and in a country like Spain, the age of consent up until 1999 was 13. It is what it is - make of that what you will.
...Pe.A is trying to define child rape as a consequence of convention and that TMF finds that appalling. Nevertheless, it is good to know Pe.A's perspective on paedophilia.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

TMF wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:31 pm It means that when Pe.A says:
...Pe.A is trying to define child rape as a consequence of convention and that TMF finds that appalling. Nevertheless, it is good to know Pe.A's perspective on paedophilia.
Excuse me? And what do you think my perspective on paedophilia is? I wasn't making any judgments, I was just stating facts (even though i was wrong about the age of consent in Spain - it was 13 up until a few years ago - since changed). What exactly do you mean by consequence of convention?

I think you should have read the subsequent paragraph i wrote and take in what i was trying to say, rather than put a slant on the meaning of what i was trying to convey.