Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by Pe.A »

AMP wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:39 pm
Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:33 pm
DazedandConfused wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:30 pm

They would have been at the school at the same time, but I don’t remember Husband teaching Juniors, which Ben would have been at the time. Ben did have an older sister at the school, who would have been around the same age as the girl that Husband had a ‘consensual affair’ with.

Likely unrelated, but perhaps worth reading LRL’s recent post on the thread ‘Did anyone know?’ Ben was certainly friends with the girl who had a relationship with a teacher, so he would have seen at least one teacher seemingly getting away with that behaviour.
Don't mean to take the piss, but that really does sound like you're grasping at dots to link up...

You think Breakwell did it because "he would have seen at least one teacher seemingly getting away with that behaviour" when he was a school...??

Jesus wept.
Same MO as Husband.
I wouldn't even describe it as same MO, as if it was an exact science. It's just a similar, very general, scenario.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

AMP wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:47 pmIn that case he was probably aware of three masters getting away with it, as he would have known Dobbie through the Chapel Choir. And Husband and Breakwell lived in York.
I say this as someone with a very low opinion of the school, its SMT from that time, and the overall response to everything that has happened over the last 30 years, and who was at the school when 4/6 of the people currently behind bars were staff members and when the others were still going on scout trips.

I think you may be conflating coincidence with knowledge/influence/collusion. Not saying it's impossible, and I could be completely wrong, but it seems like a tenuous link.

I lived in York for 9 years (moved away last year) and had no idea Husband was there at the same time. A friend who also lives in York and was in my year at CH had no idea either. Even in a town as small as York, it's really easy to not know everyone there.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Dobbie was friends with a lot of Old Blues and Husband.

The police suspect Dobbie of being a member of a paedophile network.

Dobbie turned up to an OB christmas reunion at The Chandos in 2016 with a young thai boy and was asked to leave.

I don't think Breakwell dived feet first into this brazened and reckless level of offending in 2014.

Where did he learn his trade?

Who taught him?
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

AMP wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:25 pm
Would he have known Husband?
They would have been at the school at the same time, but I don’t remember Husband teaching Juniors, which Ben would have been at the time. Ben did have an older sister at the school, who would have been around the same age as the girl that Husband had a ‘consensual affair’ with.

Likely unrelated, but perhaps worth reading LRL’s recent post on the thread ‘Did anyone know?’ Ben was certainly friends with the girl who had a relationship with a teacher, so he would have seen at least one teacher seemingly getting away with that behaviour.
Don't mean to take the piss, but that really does sound like you're grasping at dots to link up...

You think Breakwell did it because "he would have seen at least one teacher seemingly getting away with that behaviour" when he was a school...??

Jesus wept.
Once again you jump on people’s posts and wilfully misinterpret them, it’s very tiresome. Where did I say that I thought he’d done it because he’d seen someone else getting away with it?! I actually started my sentence by saying ‘Likely unrelated’. I don’t believe anyone would become a sexual predator on this basis, but that’s not to say that might not have remembered how he’d seen it done when he first came to offend himself.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

DazedandConfused wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:02 pm

Jesus wept.
Once again you jump on people’s posts and wilfully misinterpret them, it’s very tiresome. Where did I say that I thought he’d done it because he’d seen someone else getting away with it?! I actually started my sentence by saying ‘Likely unrelated’. I don’t believe anyone would become a sexual predator on this basis, but that’s not to say that might not have remembered how he’d seen it done when he first came to offend himself.
Eh?

1. What do you mean "Once again i jump on people's posts?" I was just posting a reply, this being a forum and all...

2. I was actually just asking a question, because you (and others) seemed to be trying to see whether a possible link might be able to be made with events over 25 yrs ago. Ben Breakwell would have been in the 3rd Form when Husband was booted out - what makes you think he would have seen anything done, or taken inspiration from? Your speculation is about as tenuous as it gets.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

AMP wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:09 pm Dobbie was friends with a lot of Old Blues and Husband.

Dobbie turned up to an OB christmas reunion at The Chandos in 2016 with a young thai boy and was asked to leave.

I don't think Breakwell dived feet first into this brazened and reckless level of offending in 2014.

Who taught him?
What makes you think that he learnt the trade, or that someone taught him? Does this apply to every adult male who has sexual relations with underage girls?
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

AMP wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:09 pm
Don’t want to be a pedant but it was June 2016, not Christmas. And he was told to f*** off rather than being asked to leave!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Pe.A wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:50 pm

Jesus wept.
Eh?

1. What do you mean "Once again i jump on people's posts?" I was just posting a reply, this being a forum and all...

2. I was actually just asking a question, because you (and others) seemed to be trying to see whether a possible link might be able to be made with events over 25 yrs ago. Ben Breakwell would have been in the 3rd Form when Husband was booted out - what makes you think he would have seen anything done, or taken inspiration from? Your speculation is about as tenuous as it gets.
You can reply without being dismissive and rude. As you say, this is a forum.
And try and understand what people have posted before you jump on the wrong end of the stick and hammer that keyboard.
You don't understand nuance. If one can be bothered, everything has to be explained to you in long hand.
Do you know for a fact that Breakwell was not friends with Dobbie and Husband after leaving CH?
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

marty wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:19 pm
AMP wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:09 pm
Don’t want to be a pedant but it was June 2016, not Christmas. And he was told to f*** off rather than being asked to leave!
Thank you for being a pedant!!
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

AMP wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:37 pm

Eh?

And try and understand what people have posted before you jump on the wrong end of the stick and hammer that keyboard.
You don't understand nuance. If one can be bothered, everything has to be explained to you in long hand.
Do you know for a fact that Breakwell was not friends with Dobbie and Husband after leaving CH?
I was just expressing incredulity at the attempt to grasp at dots to link up. What nuance are you referring to...?

No i do not know if Ben Breakwell was friends with Dobbie or Husband after leaving CH - neither do you or anyone else on this forum - unless i'm mistaken. But the fact that Ben Breakwell was only around 13 yrs old when Husband was booted out would make it unlikely that was the case.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Pe.A wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:16 pm

Eh?

I was just expressing incredulity at the attempt to grasp at dots to link up. What nuance are you referring to...?

No i do not know if Ben Breakwell was friends with Dobbie or Husband after leaving CH - neither do you or anyone else on this forum - unless i'm mistaken. But the fact that Ben Breakwell was only around 13 yrs old when Husband was booted out would make it unlikely that was the case.
That wasn't my question.
Read the post
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

AMP wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:28 pm
Pe.A wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:16 pm

That wasn't my question.
Read the post
I did. There was only one question you asked- and i answered it.

What's the problem...?
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

This forum, which started as a place for OBs to share memories of CH (both happy and unhappy), has for some time perhaps understandably been focused on the question of abuse, which is IMO why a number of longstanding members, particularly the ladies, are no longer with us. A good deal of essential help and information has been offered, but too much speculation can undoubtedly detract from that.
AMP wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:09 pm Dobbie was friends with a lot of Old Blues and Husband.

Who taught him?
I'm broadly with Pe A in this, in that there's an element of QED in such posts that is way OTT, drawing, or at least implying, conclusions that are clearly not merely circumstancial but quite unfeasible. Broadwell has been tried and convicted. I'm sure numerous other OBs have been convicted of other quite unrelated offences, and nobody's suggesting that is down to being at CH.

Stick to the facts, or you risk undermining much of the good work that has been done so far.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:45 pm This forum, which started as a place for OBs to share memories of CH (both happy and unhappy), has for some time perhaps understandably been focused on the question of abuse, which is IMO why a number of longstanding members, particularly the ladies, are no longer with us. A good deal of essential help and information has been offered, but too much speculation can undoubtedly detract from that.

Who taught him?
I'm broadly with Pe A in this, in that there's an element of QED in such posts that is way OTT, drawing, or at least implying, conclusions that are clearly not merely circumstancial but quite unfeasible. Broadwell has been tried and convicted. I'm sure numerous other OBs have been convicted of other quite unrelated offences, and nobody's suggesting that is down to being at CH.

Stick to the facts, or you risk undermining much of the good work that has been done so far.
Spot on - thank you.
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

Do/did you know Breakwell, Pe.A.?

Plum knew him, apparently: https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... 787#p29787