Farewell

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Farewell

Post by LongGone »

I joined this forum about twelve years ago. I believe the first topic I contributed to was "First day, last day' which brought back a range of memories; some good, some bad. Back then there was always a wide range of topics being discussed, much enhanced by the presence of the women (after my time, but always offering an alternative viewpoint), and considerable debate over the changes in CH over the years, for better or worse.

Slowly the content became more constrained and, especially in the last year seems to be dominated by a small number of members arguing over the same, tired, political viewpoints that have little or no bearing on the original intent of this forum. So, I have gone from checking every day, to paying little attention to posts.

This may be in part because fewer and fewer people seem to be participating, especially among younger OB, and inevitably my cohort grows smaller every year. Nonetheless, I have decided to effectively quit this site: maybe check in once every month or so.

I would like to thank those who have stuck it outing contributed for all these years. Along the way I learned many things about CH that I was unaware of while I was a student. I am still not sure if my time there was a benefit or not but, barring the invention of a time machine, I will never know. I do know I left with a massive inferiority complex about my abilities in academics, athletics and social skills that took a decade to overcome (thankfully in all three areas)

So, farewell.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Re: Farewell

Post by loringa »

LongGone wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:53 am I joined this forum about twelve years ago. I believe the first topic I contributed to was "First day, last day' which brought back a range of memories; some good, some bad. Back then there was always a wide range of topics being discussed, much enhanced by the presence of the women (after my time, but always offering an alternative viewpoint), and considerable debate over the changes in CH over the years, for better or worse.

Slowly the content became more constrained and, especially in the last year seems to be dominated by a small number of members arguing over the same, tired, political viewpoints that have little or no bearing on the original intent of this forum. So, I have gone from checking every day, to paying little attention to posts.

This may be in part because fewer and fewer people seem to be participating, especially among younger OB, and inevitably my cohort grows smaller every year. Nonetheless, I have decided to effectively quit this site: maybe check in once every month or so.

I would like to thank those who have stuck it outing contributed for all these years. Along the way I learned many things about CH that I was unaware of while I was a student. I am still not sure if my time there was a benefit or not but, barring the invention of a time machine, I will never know. I do know I left with a massive inferiority complex about my abilities in academics, athletics and social skills that took a decade to overcome (thankfully in all three areas)

So, farewell.
Sorry to see you go. As one whose political ramblings probably irritate you I will apologise and hope you will continue to lurk in the outer reaches from time to time. That said, hardly anyone contributes anything these days and most of the ladies have long departed so I will probably continue to post. I took a 2-year hiatus from the forum when I was overseas but eventually drifted back.