Barnes B house photo 1969

Photos associated with Barnes house

Moderator: Moderators

SavedByTheBeatles
2nd Former

Barnes B house photo 1969

Post by SavedByTheBeatles »

John Goodall (Bwana), Barnes B housemaster, died in January 2023, aged 94. His daughter, Helen, found this photo in his desk. On the back was written 1969.

With the help of Jonty Bell and Steen Lagoni, here are some initial, tentative attempts to put names to those fresh faces. Apologies for the inevitable mistakes in some names and spelling (it was 54 years ago!).

All corrections are welcome, along with any anecdotes relating to the characters and the times.

From left to right…
Back row: 1. Con Coughlin 2. Chris Hughes 3. Nigel Bjork 5. John Ludlow 9. Nick de Mattos

Third row: 3. Stephen Ellis, 4. Alan Bing 5. Martin Land 6. Stephen Banks 7. Kenny Grace 8. Steen Lagoni, 10. Andrew Fowles 11. Steven Farrage 12. Jed Savage 13. Simon Chadwick 14. Hugh Shepheard-Walwyn 15. Christopher Mander 18. Adam Denman 19. Mathew Holladay 20. Robert Cox

Second row: 1. James Leach 2. Cooper 4. GHDJ 5. Ellie Van Alphen 6. JNMG 7. assistant matron 8. Richard McCall 9. Andrew Neilan 10. Rupert Farquar-Thompson 11. Julian Coddington

Front row 1 Clive Webb 4. Nick Rawlings 6. Jonty Bell… others please identify yourselves or each other.

Helen’s obituary for her father can be found here:
https://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/joh ... aff-59-89/

The funeral will be in Horsham and can be viewed on Youtube:
https://youtube.com/live/xvgEbDlAmvY?feature=share

It will be live from 10.45 on Thursday 23rd February 2023 and available for about a week only after that date.
SavedByTheBeatles
2nd Former

Re: Barnes B house photo 1969

Does anyone have a Barnes B house photo from 1968 or 1970?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Chris

I think back row 4 could be Robert Clarke but might be wrong given the passing of time as you allude to.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Extreme right 2nd row Steel (e) I believe.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
SavedByTheBeatles
2nd Former

Thanks very much for those suggestions. Robert Clarke rings a bell.

Second from left in Row 2 is Graham Cooper.

I was nursemaid to a boy called Peter Herring. His father died during his first Christmas holiday and Peter died I think in Finland in his 50s. He might be 5th or 8th from left in the front row.

There was a boy called Shrimp (Simon Shrimpton) who was quite short. I wonder if he's third from left in Row 3? When we went for squit's tea with CMES and his wife, we were all on our best behaviour. When their maid brought food to the table, Shrimp leapt to his feet to offer her his chair. CMES very kindly assured Shrimp that she would be eating later! That reminds me of Peggy Seaman reading Sherlock Holmes stories to homesick squits on Sunday afternoons, passing aroung sweets in glass bowls, as the rain trickled down the French windows.
SavedByTheBeatles
2nd Former

Julian Garner confirms Con Coughlin (chief foreign correspondent for The Telegraph) and Rupert Farquar-Thompson, who is a respected novelist (his memoir is called This Party's Got To Stop).

Julian suggests John Steine front row, ninth from left.

On reflection, I think Shrimp might be 3rd Row 9th from left.